Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTirill (Norway): Female Vocal Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tirill (Norway): Female Vocal Prog Folk
    Posted: December 12 2013 at 14:54
And added to Prog Folk she was: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7686. Thumbs Up Thanks to Michael for this superb interview with her, too. Smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 19:18
I have the first pressing of her debut solo CD on the late Michael Piper's label, and it's a very special treasure for me. I'd love to put up a few positive review of it if she were added! I think there's a brand new vinyl pressing of that same album available, and I've been `umming' and `ahhing' over whether to snap it up or not.

She also appeared on the best White Willow album, their debut, which is a bit of a classic!

Tirill has a hugely captivating voice and creates very haunting music! Please add her!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 12:57
Like Christoffer here, I too can spot the overt Nordic folk tradition shining through. This is indeed beautiful and fragile, but to these ears the prog quotient seems a bit far fetched. We do have some artists included on the site, that lie pretty close in style to this, but they were playing this kind of stuff way back in the day, when it was part of the progressive folk scene - and part of shaping a distinctive expression without too much rock implemented. With this band I'm not too sure.
Either way, I really dig it and will give it the benefit of a doubt and swing it by the folky boys.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 14:07
very tranqul music, full of colours and textures, wonderfull folk and traditional sounds, i can recognise even in coma, so deep routed in the the Norwegian spirit this music is so it don't fail to hit deep in the core of that spessial fealing.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 10:41

Tirill's two albums have just been put up on progstreaming.com, and I'm listening to them as I write. Beautiful ethereal music, with varied arrangements creating a delicate but ever-shifting ambience, and a real delight to my ears. This is hardly 'rock' music, apart from the occasional burst on the odd track, so the suggestion may get instantly shot down in flames, but anyone who appreciates the beauty of some of Heather Findlay's early work with Mostly Autumn just has to listen to this lady.

From the website: http://planetmosh.com/trill-release-tales-from-tranquil-august-gardens-and-nine-and-fifty-swans/ (from where all the musician and track info for the two albums can be obtained):

“Norwegian feminine gothic folk with progressive elements “.

Tirill is, for many progressive rock enthusiasts, known as violinist in the early years of the Norwegian progressive rock group White Willow.

In December 2003 she released her first solo album “A Dance with the Shadows” through Michael Piper’s label The Wild Places, just a few months after Linda Perhacs’ legendary “Parallelograms” remastered.
The album was well received, thanks to Piper’s love and enthusiasmfor this album.
During the years that followed, Tirill wrote songs for a second album, with lyrics by Nobel awarded poet W.B.Yeats. When Michael Piper sadly died in 2008, Tirill decided to start her own label, FairyMusic, for future releases: October 20th 2011 she released “Tales from Tranquil August Gardens” (Norwegian re-release of the debut album on CD and vinyl) and “Nine and Fifty Swans” (music to the poetry of W.B. Yeats). She working on her 3rd solo album these days, as well as contributing on the poetic rock band Autumn Whispers’ releases.

Tirill’s music contains elements from the singer songwriter tradition of the 70s, folk, progressive rock, classic and medieval music, and some modern infusions that give this music its particular sound. In earlier reviews, the music has been categorized as “Norwegian feminine gothic folk with progressive elements “. Her musicians have a wide range of musical backgrounds that stretch from jazz and improvisational music, via folk and archaic music to classic, pop and electronica.

HeartHeartHeart    Thumbs Up

Edit: The progstreaming links I copied from the URL bar don't work for some reason - you will be re-directed to the home page, but the albums can easily be found from there and played in full, if you do it within the next few weeks.

Edit(2): Links fixed. Smile

Edited by yam yam - September 04 2012 at 04:34
 Post Reply Post Reply