Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asian/M-E WC: Stomu Yamash'ta/Acid Mothers Temple
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAsian/M-E WC: Stomu Yamash'ta/Acid Mothers Temple

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which band/artist do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [35.71%]
9 [64.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asian/M-E WC: Stomu Yamash'ta/Acid Mothers Temple
    Posted: September 04 2012 at 20:19
Asian & Middle-Eastern Prog "World" Cup: Leg 1 FINALS, Round 1 of 4

This bracket is for the first of four legs. There will be three more of these, with 32 new artists each. If a band you like isn't here, they will likely appear in a later leg.

Chose your preferred artist. The one with the most votes moves on to the next round.

SAMPLES:

Stomu Yamash'ta:

Acid Mothers Temple:

This is an important round! Four bands from each leg will move on to the final bracket; the winner of this match will be one of them.

Edited by Anthony H. - September 04 2012 at 20:20
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 03:28
Stomu all the way!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 03:58
A difficult one. I like Yamash'ta, especially his work with Klaus Schulze, and I have happened to rate two AMT albums with one and two stars, but some of the AMT outputs are very brilliant and today I'm in a psychedelic mood so I go for them.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 08:35
AMT by a mile here.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 15:03
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

AMT by a mile here.

By a nautical mile even.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 12:58
Acid Mothers. Stomu's first video was nice too, except for the constant laughter, but the second didn't appeal to me so much. Acid Mother's 2nd song was trippy and cool (though perhaps a bit too long for it's own good). I'm liking the trippy nature of Acid Mothers... I somehow need some of that.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 13:10
It;s quite unfair for me to vote as I've heard more Stomu Yamash*ta albums than Acid Mothers Temple (but I have heard a lot of music by AMT).  I love SY's 1971 to 1973 period particularly (only heard four of his albums).  For my tastes, Red Buddha and The Man from the East are terribly underrated at PA.  Floating Music is my favourite of his that I know.

I like Acid Mothers Temple, but have found them inconsistent for my tastes.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 13:48
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

AMT by a mile here.

By a nautical mile even.

What are your favourite albums by AMT?  I've heard other stuff, but the only albums I own by AMT are Pataphysical Freak Out MU and Univers Zen...  It's a huge discography.

I have heard most of New Geocentric: World of Acid Mother's Temple and like that, and may get that one next.  It's a band I listened to more about five and six years ago, and just haven't been exploring much since (so much good music out there).

Edited by Logan - September 06 2012 at 13:49
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 14:12
IMO Yamash'ta shouldn't even be in a Prog site (New Age for me), so will go with AMT

Iván

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 14:20
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

IMO Yamash'ta shouldn't even be in a Prog site (New Age for me), so will go with AMT

Iván

I'm not that familiar with his later stuff, but I don't consider the albums I have of his New Age, and I absolutely think this belongs on a Prog site:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 14:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Iván

I'm not that familiar with his later stuff, but I don't consider the albums I have of his New Age, and I absolutely think this belongs on a Prog site:

That's the great thing of a forum, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion.

Iván

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 14:33

Iván

That's the great thing of a forum, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion.

Iván

Entitled to an opinion is one thing; trying to understand where that opinion is coming from is another.  Have you heard Freedom is Frightening (what i embedded)?  I'm just surprised if you consider that New Age, or the jazzy  album I mentioned as my favourite before.  As I expect you'd agree, some opinions are more valid and readily understandable than others (a lot of that depends upon what one is basing one's opinion on).  He may have a lot of New Age albums, but  I try to judge merits for PA based on the most relevant to PA albums (as I expect you do).  What to me is better about fora than being able to express an opinion is being able to discuss those opinions and look at things from multiple perspectives (I know my opinions have changed many times thanks to discussion, and youtube clips...).

Edited by Logan - September 06 2012 at 14:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 14:40

Entitled to an opinion is one thing; trying to understand where that opinion is coming from is another.  Have you heard Freedom is Frightening (what i embedded)?  I'm just surprised if you consider that New Age, or the jazzy  album I mentioned as my favourite before.  As I expect you'd agree, some opinions are more valid and readily understandable than others (a lot of that depends upon what one is basing one's opinion on).  He may have a lot of New Age albums, but  Itry to judge merits for PA based on the most relevant to PA albums (as I expect you do).

I judge an artist for his career, except when approving an addotion, when I follow the rules of PA.

But if an artist releeases a lot of New Age, relaxation stuff and music for commnercials, it's enough for me.

GO is OK, but that's all for me,

Iván

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 14:46
Stomu is definitely a jazz-fusion artist. That seems pretty inarguable to me.

Although I agree with Ivan that his music is a bit too light and sterile, despite me enjoying some of it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 15:42

Entitled to an opinion is one thing; trying to understand where that opinion is coming from is another.  Have you heard Freedom is Frightening (what i embedded)?  I'm just surprised if you consider that New Age, or the jazzy  album I mentioned as my favourite before.  As I expect you'd agree, some opinions are more valid and readily understandable than others (a lot of that depends upon what one is basing one's opinion on).  He may have a lot of New Age albums, but  Itry to judge merits for PA based on the most relevant to PA albums (as I expect you do).

I judge an artist for his career, except when approving an addotion, when I follow the rules of PA.

But if an artist releeases a lot of New Age, relaxation stuff and music for commnercials, it's enough for me.

GO is OK, but that's all for me,

Iván

I don't like what I've heard of GO -- I much prefer the four 1971-73 albums that I have.  And I would think, or at least hope, that more at PA would enjoy albums such as Floating Music and/or Freedom is Frightening to GO (but to each his or her own tastes).  But I  was mostly trying to understand from a deeper level why said that he shouldn't he shouldn't be on a Prog site -- considering an album such as Freedom is Frightening, which to me is not New Age and I find very proggy (bluesy, yes).  I don't want to belabour that point, though.

When I vote I commonly like to pit my favourite albums of each up against each-other, but as I said earlier, I only own a couple of Acid Mother's Temple albums.

Stomu is definitely a jazz-fusion artist. That seems pretty inarguable to me.

Although I agree with Ivan that his music is a bit too light and sterile, despite me enjoying some of it.

I don't find his music (the four albums that I have) sterile, nor do I find it all light (there's contrast -- he has a lot of light music), but I do know that despite being avant-garde oriented, I also do have tastes that some have called muzak.  I álso like what I know of Yamash'ta's more "modern classical" oriented music.

Anyway good discussion; it gets me to look at music from new angles and hear it fresh in a way.

I do hope more people will check out Freedom is Frightening (great album, I think) before voting, since I would have thought a lot of people at PA would like that one.  And for the more jazz and less rock crowd, Floating Music (also great).

Edited by Logan - September 06 2012 at 15:47
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 18:55
Poll closed.

Stomu Yamash'ta is eliminated, and Acid Mothers Temple moves on to the final bracket.
 Post Reply Post Reply