Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Robert Fripp Quits Music Over Rights Fight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Robert Fripp Quits Music Over Rights Fight

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: July 20 2009
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2248
Post Options Post Options   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robert Fripp Quits Music Over Rights Fight
    Posted: September 06 2012 at 14:18
More of Bob's BS I'm afraid.  He said the same thing to me in a record store during his "Drive to 1981" tour, and he's been very consistent about this.  

So his tunes have been ripped off....like, that's new in prog?  Ask John Goodsall of Brand X, who tells me he AND Percy Jones were royally screwed by Phil Collins & the label for all their work with Brand X.  Patrick Moraz was fleeced with Yes as well.  

Forty years ago, the record company execs used to give the artists all the cocaine they wanted & then had them sign lots of forms in front of lawyers.  It was a nasty place, which is why I stayed away completely.  Music is my hobby, no more. 

Quite honestly, Fripp should team up with Kanye West!  Man, he'd get attention then!!  "Old white British dude reinvigorates the world of rap with his synth-guitar loops and soaring leads."   It would be pretty amazing.  


Back to Top
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Eclectic Prog Team

Joined: December 30 2007
Location: Raeford, NC
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31671
Post Options Post Options   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 15:45
Originally posted by cstack3


Quite honestly, Fripp should team up with Kanye West!  Man, he'd get attention then!!  "Old white British dude reinvigorates the world of rap with his synth-guitar loops and soaring leads."   It would be pretty amazing.  




Their butting of heads would be more entertaining than whatever music they could produce. 
Back to Top
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie
Avatar

Joined: February 17 2004
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 75
Post Options Post Options   Quote freyacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 16:06
I have followed Robert Fripp's long Cold War with the Music Industry for twenty years now.
I think he has a lot of relevant points to make, but in the end, he seems like Don Quixote, jousting at windmills.
I thought that the formation of DGM was a creative response, and I supported all of those releases.
Endlessly obsessing over the theft of ages-old property, however, seems like a waste of energy.
RF speaks of a rich spirituality in so many ways, but in this area I wish he would save himself some grief, walk away, and try to enjoy what is left of life.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
Back to Top
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams

Joined: October 22 2005
Location: Mt. Molehill
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3680
Post Options Post Options   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 17:57
I agree with Fripp's beef about the ownership of his music.  But he signed the contracts when they were offered (not that he had much choice back then).  He should just walk away from it, especially if he receives any royalties from the use.
 
His logic fails when he says he is quitting from making music over this.  He now owns his own label, and all rights to any new music he makes.  He is only hurting himself and his own business by ceasing to provide new product.  If he wants to quit.  Fine.  That's his choice.  But as a protest against his older catalog being misused, the protest falls flat.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Back to Top
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 01 2007
Location: NYC
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1252
Post Options Post Options   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 18:14
Originally posted by freyacat

I have followed Robert Fripp's long Cold War with the Music Industry for twenty years now.
I think he has a lot of relevant points to make, but in the end, he seems like Don Quixote, jousting at windmills.
I thought that the formation of DGM was a creative response, and I supported all of those releases.
Endlessly obsessing over the theft of ages-old property, however, seems like a waste of energy.
RF speaks of a rich spirituality in so many ways, but in this area I wish he would save himself some grief, walk away, and try to enjoy what is left of life.

Agree--well said---everyone knows the music business sucks---this is old news---you have to adapt and reinvent yourself--which he used to be good at----in the meantime sell your music on i tunes!!
Back to Top
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 29 2006
Location: Atlantais
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 27126
Post Options Post Options   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 19:20
Originally posted by Horizons

Stupid reason to quit, though no where near as bad as Collins.

My first thought, too.  I'm not sure what you are getting at with collins though.

If Fripp doesn't do new music for the pleasure of making it and/or sharing what he makes, why bother?   I'd rather enjoy the old inspired bits rather than having him put new stuff out just for the sake of putting it out.  I suspect he's still playing but not interested in sharing what he's creating.


Edited by Slartibartfast - September 06 2012 at 19:21
Back to Top
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Post/Math Rock Team

Joined: January 20 2011
Location: Somewhere Else
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14333
Post Options Post Options   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 19:37
Originally posted by Slartibartfast

Originally posted by Horizons

Stupid reason to quit, though no where near as bad as Collins.

My first thought, too.  I'm not sure what you are getting at with collins though.

If Fripp doesn't do new music for the pleasure of making it and/or sharing what he makes, why bother?   I'd rather enjoy the old inspired bits rather than having him put new stuff out just for the sake of putting it out.  I suspect he's still playing but not interested in sharing what he's creating.

In an interview he did with Rolling Stone he mentioned that a major force of making him quit was being called the "anti christ of music" and the changes that happened to Genesis during his leadership. 
All in all he quit music because he couldn't handle criticism. 
Back to Top
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams

Joined: October 22 2005
Location: Mt. Molehill
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3680
Post Options Post Options   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 21:17
Originally posted by Horizons

Originally posted by Slartibartfast

Originally posted by Horizons

Stupid reason to quit, though no where near as bad as Collins.

My first thought, too.  I'm not sure what you are getting at with collins though.

If Fripp doesn't do new music for the pleasure of making it and/or sharing what he makes, why bother?   I'd rather enjoy the old inspired bits rather than having him put new stuff out just for the sake of putting it out.  I suspect he's still playing but not interested in sharing what he's creating.

In an interview he did with Rolling Stone he mentioned that a major force of making him quit was being called the "anti christ of music" and the changes that happened to Genesis during his leadership. 
All in all he quit music because he couldn't handle criticism. 
 
I made Phil Collins quit?  Now I feel special.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Back to Top
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 29 2005
Location: Bucks county PA
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1231
Post Options Post Options   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 22:56
I saw this on another site. It's either King Fripp's way or the highway. Wink

I suppose I can't really blame him. I wonder what he will do now though. Write a book? I wonder if he will still listen to music. Tongue
Back to Top
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: July 20 2009
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2248
Post Options Post Options   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 23:46
The older RF gets, the crabbier.  His music has been file-shared/ripped/copied so many times, it is basically in the public realm anyway. 

BTW, he was paid for generating the various OS sounds for Windows "Vista," why doesn't he complain about that too? 

It's a nasty business, Bob.  All business is nasty.  If you don't like it, I feel sorry for you, you should have been a postman like your mother wanted you to be.  
Back to Top
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2008
Location: Wales
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7193
Post Options Post Options   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 08:42
Originally posted by cstack3

The older RF gets, the crabbier.  His music has been file-shared/ripped/copied so many times, it is basically in the public realm anyway. 

BTW, he was paid for generating the various OS sounds for Windows "Vista," why doesn't he complain about that too? 

It's a nasty business, Bob.  All business is nasty.  If you don't like it, I feel sorry for you, you should have been a postman like your mother wanted you to be.  

Then all he'd have to moan about would be the sh*t hours, pay freeze on top of sh*t pay anyway, pension contributions upped, working longer, and getting less!Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. 


In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.
Back to Top
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 29 2006
Location: Atlantais
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 27126
Post Options Post Options   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 11:27
Originally posted by lazland

Originally posted by cstack3

The older RF gets, the crabbier.  His music has been file-shared/ripped/copied so many times, it is basically in the public realm anyway. 

BTW, he was paid for generating the various OS sounds for Windows "Vista," why doesn't he complain about that too? 

It's a nasty business, Bob.  All business is nasty.  If you don't like it, I feel sorry for you, you should have been a postman like your mother wanted you to be.  

Then all he'd have to moan about would be the sh*t hours, pay freeze on top of sh*t pay anyway, pension contributions upped, working longer, and getting less!Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. 

I can totally identify with being older and getting crabbier. LOL

Fripp has the luxury of living well even if he never releases any new music.  He does seem like the guy who enjoys playing for the sake of it rather than feeling the need to play to an audience.

Back to Top
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: February 10 2010
Location: Belgium
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3356
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 13:42
Injustice is all over the place everywhere around us. Squealing about it and fighting it is right, but surrendering to it doesn't make anything better.
Back to Top
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 01 2005
Location: Brazil
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 414
Post Options Post Options   Quote moodyxadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 15:30
Man, I like King Crimson a lot but his new wave band Discipline... Total heartless music.

Listened to The wine of Silence another day. What a boring experience, JC. 

When we get old our energy just sinks and we should retire for our own benefit. Almost anything he made after 'Heroes" are unimportant to the music world even when you consider that he was one of the masterminds that defined a decade on pop music. Unfortunately he was irrelevant for a long time before "quiting". It's sad but only few artists can be as productive and relevant like David Bowie but even him had to stop. Anyway, good luck in your fight against our market society and thanx for the great 70's music.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
Back to Top
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 01 2010
Location: Brazil
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10122
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Neck Romancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 05:27
Originally posted by moodyxadi

Man, I like King Crimson a lot but his new wave band Discipline... Total heartless music.

Listened to The wine of Silence another day. What a boring experience, JC. 

When we get old our energy just sinks and we should retire for our own benefit. Almost anything he made after 'Heroes" are unimportant to the music world even when you consider that he was one of the masterminds that defined a decade on pop music. Unfortunately he was irrelevant for a long time before "quiting". It's sad but only few artists can be as productive and relevant like David Bowie but even him had to stop. Anyway, good luck in your fight against our market society and thanx for the great 70's music.

Dead
Back to Top
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 04 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5633
Post Options Post Options   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 10:34
Hi,
 
(Soap Box Mode!)
 
This is not going to sound right to some ... but in many ways ... I can not feel sorry for him, or his group!
 
They should have stopped and "quit" 30 years ago ... not this year! Instead, these folks have added to their money making stealing ... and if you think that music is bad, you have not seen, or have any idea ... it's even worse at the movies, where you are the cheap labor all the time!
 
I first heard about this in 1975 or 1976 ... and it was around the Firesign Theater and one of their close friends, trying to tell them NOT to re-sign with Columbia ... but they were afraid to take on their own ... everything.
 
IF, Robert, cared for his work, he would have fought this sooner ... but then, the English way and market allows for Mr. Blue Balls that Fly to rip off Tangerine Dream, Gong, Genesis and so many other folks ... and no one gives a merde, and they give him awards and put him on television, when he should be in jail!
 
Until the day that system in England of keeping people slaves to the lords of the empire, folks like Robert will get ripped off ... and he already knew that ... when he started ... !!!
 
All in all, this is where a lot of musicians need to step back, but you don't see Paul Mac helping, you don't see Mick helping, you don't see Elton helping, and that tells you what the hippocrisy is all about! These folks would stand to gain less money!
 
And if you think he has issues, you have not seen the Frank Zappa issues with this ... and Gayle is still fighting for it ... a losing battle, because the country is for the rich, by the rich to rip off everyone else ... and the day that stops, everyone will call it "socialism", or "communism".
 
So much for democracy!
 
Sorry Robert ... I love your work, but it's time to tell England to shove it! But you have to take over your own business, not anyone else!  In case you have not noticed, it is the number ONE reason why "progressive" and "prog" have survived! ...
 
(Soap Box Mode Off!)


Edited by moshkito - November 13 2012 at 10:35
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com
Back to Top
Ally Carter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: November 12 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ally Carter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 08:29
One of the things that always greatly impressed me about Robert Fripp, Roy Harper and Mark Hollis is their uncompromising integrity.
Cheers,
Ally from The Emerald Dawn

Email
Back to Top
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 06 2009
Location: Denmark
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3873
Post Options Post Options   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 08:51
Originally posted by moshkito

Hi,
 
(Soap Box Mode!)
 
This is not going to sound right to some ... but in many ways ... I can not feel sorry for him, or his group!
 
They should have stopped and "quit" 30 years ago ... not this year! Instead, these folks have added to their money making stealing ... and if you think that music is bad, you have not seen, or have any idea ... it's even worse at the movies, where you are the cheap labor all the time!
 
I first heard about this in 1975 or 1976 ... and it was around the Firesign Theater and one of their close friends, trying to tell them NOT to re-sign with Columbia ... but they were afraid to take on their own ... everything.
 
IF, Robert, cared for his work, he would have fought this sooner ... but then, the English way and market allows for Mr. Blue Balls that Fly to rip off Tangerine Dream, Gong, Genesis and so many other folks ... and no one gives a merde, and they give him awards and put him on television, when he should be in jail!
 
Until the day that system in England of keeping people slaves to the lords of the empire, folks like Robert will get ripped off ... and he already knew that ... when he started ... !!!
 
All in all, this is where a lot of musicians need to step back, but you don't see Paul Mac helping, you don't see Mick helping, you don't see Elton helping, and that tells you what the hippocrisy is all about! These folks would stand to gain less money!
 
And if you think he has issues, you have not seen the Frank Zappa issues with this ... and Gayle is still fighting for it ... a losing battle, because the country is for the rich, by the rich to rip off everyone else ... and the day that stops, everyone will call it "socialism", or "communism".
 
So much for democracy!
 
Sorry Robert ... I love your work, but it's time to tell England to shove it! But you have to take over your own business, not anyone else!  In case you have not noticed, it is the number ONE reason why "progressive" and "prog" have survived! ...
 
(Soap Box Mode Off!)
Thumbs Up
They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
Till you're so ****ing crazy you can't follow their rules
...
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see
Back to Top
sturoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 04 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 117
Post Options Post Options   Quote sturoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 19:01
Well knowing what he wrote/spoke about his philosophies back in the late 70s  about music and life I can understand the decision.
BUT to say your quitting music altogether is kinda BS .
When your a musician you will always be a musician regardless of whether one stops playing for a year or 10 or the rest of your life.
It's always in you.

So for our man Robert :
Regretful ? I think so.
Whiny ?  a bit.

And maybe this fight consumes him to the point of draining all creativity.
I can understand that somewhat.
As mentioned in other posts, Yes he let it get away from him. Sad, just another old story about how an artist thru miscalculation/ ignorance / stupidity gets shafted by the big boys.
He'll spend more time and money ( whatever $ he has left) to fight and in the end will come out no better.
You can't win against the big boys unless there is a royal contract screw up.
I hope he doesn't wind up a pauper by going thru years of this though.

Don't people learn, ever ?



Edited by sturoc - November 29 2012 at 19:03
Back to Top
Jorvik View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie


Joined: December 21 2007
Location: The Danelaw
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 72
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jorvik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 07:00
Wasn't Fripp's issue that the record company appropriated rights that he never signed over to them because the technology to exploit/market his band's music in that way didn't exist at the time they signed the contract? Or is this about something entirely different?

It's just that I recall from several years ago (probably read it here) Fripp having a battle with one of the major labels over them digitising his music and putting it on places like iTunes. His argument was that they didn't have his permission, they'd just assumed the right to do that because they already had the rights to distribute Crimson's music on vinyl, tape and more recently CD. I assume the battle he mentions is a continuation of this, or is he quitting over something else entirely?

Plus I fail to see what any of Fripp's troubles (real or imagined) with the global music business have to do with the perceived faults of British society. I doubt UK-based musicians are treated significantly worse by record labels here than they are by subsidiaries of the same global companies in other countries.
I ljuset från min lykta
ser jag skuggan utav sorg
drömmar som har slocknat
ifrån ett liv som haft sin tid          
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz

This page was generated in 0.156 seconds.