Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime For Controversy: Katatonia (Take 7)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time For Controversy: Katatonia (Take 7)
    Posted: September 08 2012 at 08:05
OK they've been suggested in this forum 6 times before in as many years, and here are the threads for anyone who wants to plow through them:

But have a look at this - it seems like 'unfinished business' to me...

Katatonia

Doesn't actually say they were rejected, does it?

Having said that - this doesn't look quite so promising:

Katatonia

HPMSCArtistaaboNeRuanRetiredSection
HomepageMyspaceseKatatonia Prog Metal Chart: Rejected

BUT, of the current Prog Metal team members represented here we have one 'yes' vote, and zero 'no' votes (thus far)...AND a new album has just been released ('Dead End Kings'), so as long as everyone is happy for it to go ahead, a re-evaluation can be carried out, can't it?

So, without further ado:

Sounds decent enough to me for inclusion in Prog Metal, and we have an excellent team in place at the moment who I'm sure will give it their utmost consideration, assuming the band gets the nod for another shot on here of course.

I don't know how long these vids will survive on YouTube before they get pulled by the authorities, so whatever your thoughts regarding the suitability of this band for PA...just enjoy the music while you can!   Big smile

Edit: Replaced two dead videos in the above list, and there is now a full-album tube too:

Headbanger

Edited by yam yam - June 17 2013 at 00:31
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 09:05
Firstly, thanks for your kind words.

Any band which is rejected, needs to be unanimously approved by the whole team if suggested again in the instance of a new album (as above with Katatonia).

We have been through this process before with Night is the New Day and that did not go ahead.
The first sample I heard (Dead Letters) from this album was promising enough but still need to check the rest. Wink

Edited by aapatsos - September 08 2012 at 09:19
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 09:53
^ I understand. Thumbs Up

As an additional source of listening samples for some members, the album is up on spotify - but I've seen various different links for it (http://spotinews.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/katatonia-dead-end-kings/).

This one certainly works in the UK: http://open.spotify.com/album/0ysVHx3VsjgZEvw2bSJ7Vy
This one is suggested for folks in Austria, Switzerland & Germany: http://open.spotify.com/album/5135m5wFTi0d2WJ5wW8ikW (but it also works in the UK...)
This one is suggested for folks in Australia and New Zealand: http://open.spotify.com/album/5127MwPvc1eBnCucSdDDXq (and that one also works in the UK...)

Don't know if any of them work in the USA - according to the spotinews.wordpress link given above (2012/08/30) they don't...but that was over a week ago, so maybe it's now available there too. Ermm

Edited by yam yam - September 08 2012 at 09:55
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 10:06
If a rejected band has a new release they are NOT subject to Controversial Band rules. However, since there possibly will be controversy with this eval, unofficial use of the unanimous vote is probably not a bad idea when answering critics. Also since a band was previously rejected for all their albums upto and including previous album, the strength of the evaluation rests solely on the new release. If the new release is less Prog than the previous albums that should be a rejection, if it is more Prog only then should the back-catalogue be considered (more for subgenre placement than anything).

Votes by previous PMT members is a tricky area to deal with, especially when some of those votes were cast before the split of Prog Metal into PM, Exp/Post and Tech/Ext and while we were assured that splitting the subgenre would open the door to bands that aren't technically Prog Metal, it is inevitable that it has. There are many perfectly valid and accpetable reasons for this (changing PMT personnel, changing perceptions etc...). The inclusion of My Dying Bride (for example) is an indication of that - rejected prior to the split, accepted into Tech/Ext after the split.

When it comes to assessing their back-catalogue (which we must if the latest is Prog enough) then previous PMT member votes should be given some credence.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
|________________________________________________________________________________________________________________|

Personal thoughts:

[... I do not see Katatonia as anywhere near as Tech/Ext as MDB - they are as eclectic as Opeth and Anathema in style, but no where near as complex or technical].

Dead End Kings is shaping up to be one of my favourite releases by them (and possibly one of the best of 2012), but I do not think that it is any more Prog Metal than Night Is The New Day wasn't, if anything I think it is less progressive. Unto You and First Prayer are my picks as most prog-influenced yet they are also the least "metal" tracks on the album, but they are just not prog enough for me.
What?
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:03
I see in some of they old threads that people have been saying that they were here, then deleted. Ermm
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 12:10
^ That's a PA myth - the band was My Dying Bride, not Katatonia
What?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 16:08
Nine months later on, following much further debate in the PM team thread - and yet another attempt to get them added today by a new user of the site: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94052&PID=4798953#4798953, the status of this band on progfreak remains just as it was in early September 2012. LOL 
I think this is a monster that is never going to be slain! 
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 16:22
Were they only rejected by prog metal? I honestly think they would be a good fit for crossover. (Much like Fair to Midland.) If they were only rejected by prog metal in the past, would they only need a normal vote to be accepted into crossover?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 16:44
^ they are clearly a metal band, why would someone add them to crossover? Ermm

The consensus is not in favour of them so I don't see them added in any metal sub any time soon
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 09:15
I believe Katatonia have some progressive credits. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:02
Ermm perhaps they can cash them in for their next abum...
What?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 13:31
I've not really heard more than a song or two from Katatonia so have no opinion on whether or not they should be included.  Prog magazine has reviewed and had articles about the Dead End Kings and more recently their re-recording of the Dead End Kings titled Dethroned and Uncrowned (which sounds like they remade Dead End Kings into a progressive rock album if I interpret the articles and reviews correctly.) 

At any rate, would it be recommended to listen to Dethroned and Uncrowned prior to hearing Dead End Kings or could that ruin one or both of the albums for me?  Not sure if I would like either anyways but my interest was piqued into checking these guys out.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 26 2014 at 13:32
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 13:52
The progfreak chart has had just one more entry since the status I posted for it above, more than two years ago:

Katatonia

DateUserChartAction
6MRune2000Metal (Rune2000)
4ybonnekMetal (bonnek)
6yJ-ManMetal (J-Man)
6yUMURMetal (UMUR)
6yPlankownerMetal (Plankowner)
6yHughesJB4Metal (HughesJB4)

Alexander's 'no' vote from around six months ago is probably going to be enough to kill this band's chances of inclusion for good. Violin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 16:49
Fortunately we're still able to enjoy good music regardless of it being on PA or not
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 17:43
Sure thing. Smile
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 05:29
OK, I was listening to their first two albums in my car, and holy smoke, why not prog? Almost every song from Brave Murder Day has 10 minutes long, prog, and better than Opeth. Time to reconsider this.
 Post Reply Post Reply