Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiscovering Australian Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 23:26
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 21:42
Originally posted by sl75 sl75 wrote:

I'm equally bitter about Company Caine, Chetarca, Crossfire, Madder Lake, Blackfeather, Extradition...

And now I'm going to add Aleph to that list.

sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 21:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

The way I always saw it,  the site is not a playpen for favs or personal tastes. It does say on that nice site banner... the ultimate resource ...  the job was always to catalog and if one was to error.. it was to error on the side of being inclusionary.. rather than being exclusionary. This site had LONG ever stopped being a simple prog rock site. It had veered deeply into 'progressive' long before I helped corrupt it further.

I always thought the best way to see it was to Let the listeners discover and judge for themselves.

Amen
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 08:18

I'm equally bitter about Company Caine, Chetarca, Crossfire, Madder Lake, Blackfeather, Extradition...

Still dumbfounded to this day as to why some of these were rejected; I feel your pain. Thanks for the reviews for the Aussie bands that DID get added, sl75.  
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 04:55
I do realise this blog thread is primarily about Australian Prog, not just "Prog in Australia", but nevertheless I thought I'd post this here for the benefit of other residents of Oz who may not be aware yet that a certain French band are visiting our shores early next year...

Magma scheduled to play in Australia March 2016
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 17:15
Are you looking for something to read over the holiday period? Are you interested in the 1970-1975 period here in Oz that spawned many of the older Oz bands considered on PA as prog (Spectrum, Tully, Tamam Shud, Bakery, Fraternity, et al, just to name the ones here on PA)? If so, here is a darn good read from the Milesago site which puts that period in context with the Oz music scene before (60's pop) and after (the Countdown years):
http://www.milesago.com/Overview.htm

Happy reading!

EDIT: to update the list of bands, in particular to remove Co-caine (but also add some other bands for good measure) - mea culpa, I forgot that Company Caine aren't actually on PA after all... Disapprove

Edited by David64T - January 02 2016 at 08:14
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 19:19
Milesago is an amazing website.

Like that article says, it's truly amazing how little attention Australian music of that era gets now - it's like the year zero attitude of punk still holds all these years later - you still see so many lists of 'best Australian albums' or histories of Australian music that imply nothing happened before "(I'm) Stranded".
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 19:22

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

The way I always saw it,  the site is not a playpen for favs or personal tastes. It does say on that nice site banner... the ultimate resource ...  the job was always to catalog and if one was to error.. it was to error on the side of being inclusionary.. rather than being exclusionary. This site had LONG ever stopped being a simple prog rock site. It had veered deeply into 'progressive' long before I helped corrupt it further.

I always thought the best way to see it was to Let the listeners discover and judge for themselves.

Amen

yeah... I do love a good rant and my soapbox.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 04:58

Milesago is an amazing website.

Sure is - the band bios and other info on there is streets ahead of the various books on Oz rock I've got (though they're a still good reference) - truly a labour of love for someone. And the Milesago website does it all with minimal "web bling" too.

Like that article says, it's truly amazing how little attention Australian music of that era gets now - it's like the year zero attitude of punk still holds all these years later - you still see so many lists of 'best Australian albums' or histories of Australian music that imply nothing happened before "(I'm) Stranded".

Clap

It's almost like the two "polar opposites" of popular music that got established on the ABC at about the same time - the assumed "pop" mainstream (Countdown, nationally) versus the self-defined "alternative" outlet 2JJ (the anti-Countdown?)...

I've pondered for a long time the "invisible" nature of Aussie music pre the Skyhooks/Sherbet-era (which seems to be a handy cutoff point): from occasional listening to commercial FM radio here in Adelaide since the early '80's the only songs I remember hearing from that period are: "Eagle rock"/"Come back again", "I'll be gone" and "Most people I know" - nothing more... That's why it's so good that Aztec Music (and others) are doing such a grand job in reissuing those albums by Spectrum, Tamam Shud, Tully, Thorpie, Buffalo, etc etc. And think too that those artists are the tip of the iceberg when you consider all the other bands that were well-known mainly in their local capital city...

And having said that, I talk to some people who were in their teens and twenties during that time and who were out and about at gigs/festivals during those years  - they can still namecheck quite a few of of those now "invisible" bands and artists (ah yes, Headband...).

sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 05:46
Originally posted by David64T David64T wrote:

And having said that, I talk to some people who were in their teens and twenties during that time and who were out and about at gigs/festivals during those years  - they can still namecheck quite a few of of those now "invisible" bands and artists (ah yes, Headband...).

Coincidentally, I just got Headband's album a couple of weeks ago.

David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 06:34

Coincidentally, I just got Headband's album a couple of weeks ago.

A great coincidence! What's your verdict on the album (I assume it's Song For Tooley and not the NZ band of the same name)?

The last time I looked for music by Headband music (probably back in 2013 when Chris Bailey passed on) I could only find "Stay with me" and that "Supercars" song....
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 06:32

A great coincidence! What's your verdict on the album (I assume it's Song For Tooley and not the NZ band of the same name)?

Yep, Song For Tooley. I've only listened a couple of times so far, don't have anything profound to say about it yet other than that so far I like it!
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 06:43

The last time I looked for music by Headband music (probably back in 2013 when Chris Bailey passed on) I could only find "Stay with me" and that "Supercars" song....

Someone has posted the whole album on Dailymotion:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kf2f2

David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 01:05

Someone has posted the whole album on Dailymotion:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kf2f2

Thanks!  I am checking it out now, and am liking what I hear - will see if I can order it on CD (Doug Larson seems to have it).
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 19:38
Great to Aussie Prog getting some air time here
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 05:13

I take it back - Aleph have been added to the site.
Still bitter about those other bands though. Especially Company Caine and Extradition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567