Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiscovering Australian Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 06:27
Originally posted by Altairius Altairius wrote:

Is there any other symphonic / classic prog a la Sebastian Hardie / Windchase from Australia? I could go for some highly symphonic and/or melodic, classic style prog metal too. I know of Voyager and they'd be good if not for the stupid, out of place harsh vocals that they throw in there.

Hi Altairus,

I'm not familiar with much other Aussie prog specifically similar to Seb Hardie/Windchase - the Aussie bands around during the early '70's recorded prog albums based around mostly blues-based and/or psychedelic music, while most of the recent "prog rock" bands here in Oz seem to be way up at the heavy end of the musical spectrum.

Based on my CD collection, you may like to check out music by:
Unitopia (PA page at http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4175)
Anubis (PA page at http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5423)
Ben Craven (PA page at http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6615)
Rainbow Theatre (PA page at http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2006, reissued CD's readily available through Aztec)

If you do like Voyager, then I recommend:
Caligulas Horse (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6310)
Breaking Orbit (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7199)
plus the following band not on PA:
Domino (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Domino/44968871371), their "Arabic prog metal" is a bit ordinary but their singer Erica is great. Their album "Where The Desert Meets The Sea" may appeal if you want to hear several songs apparently inspired by "Kashmir".

FWIW I too would also really love to find more symphonic prog bands from Australia, for both my own enjoyment and my own community radio program, they'd make a welcome change from the endless.tech/extreme/djent scene here...classy though it is... Sleepy

EDITED POST: to insert quoted text and also the name of the Domino album.

Edited by David64T - July 14 2014 at 06:37
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 04:59
^^^Great suggestions here!
k3no444 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 23:20
I love Australian prog! I don't know why, but it seems that every other new band that I find and absolutely love are either from Australia or New Zealand. I even posted a few of them on my blog!
Please check out my music blog and follow me on Twitter!

http://kenoalbumreview.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/kenoalbumreview
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 09:09
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Scott, sadly your Cybotron post reminded me if when I left behind their `Implosion' LP at a record fair once so many years ago....I had never heard them at the time, but expected nothing special, so I didn't buy it. Of course, I've never come across it since and would LOVE to get a copy! Dirt cheap it was too....

I've never seen an original pressing of 'Implosion', but Aztec have re-released it on CD, readily available from their website or any retailer that stocks Aztec's releases.
They've just put out 'Monster Planet' as well. I assume the rest of the Cybotron discography will eventually follow.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 12:02
But when they sing, where does that accent go? I just couldn't help myself, mate!
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 05:54
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

But when they sing, where does that accent go? I just couldn't help myself, mate!

What is this accent you speak of? I hear no accent!  We talk right proper here in Australia mate!

Smile

Oh hang on - there's always Peter Garrett and Midnight Oil to take those broad vowels to the wider world:
Midnight Oil - Beds are burning

And of course I believe that any mention of the Oils on a PA forum is on topic because in a previous life in the mid '70's most members of the Oils were in a prog cover band called Farm.  But I won't tell anyone if you don't...  Geek A damn fine band anyway, regardless of their pedigree.
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 06:38
Originally posted by David64T David64T wrote:

What is this accent you speak of? I hear no accent!  We talk right proper here in Australia mate!

Smile

Oh hang on - there's always Peter Garrett and Midnight Oil to take those broad vowels to the wider world:
Midnight Oil - Beds are burning

And of course I believe that any mention of the Oils on a PA forum is on topic because in a previous life in the mid '70's most members of the Oils were in a prog cover band called Farm.  But I won't tell anyone if you don't...  Geek A damn fine band anyway, regardless of their pedigree.

Compared to your response, I can tell my kangaroos loose in the top paddock. And as it may appear I've come a gutser, I was only alluding to a remark reporters and the like used to make to the Beatles about their loss of an accent while singing. Good onya, your response though.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 07:33

I was only alluding to a remark reporters and the like used to make to the Beatles about their loss of an accent while singing. Good onya, your response though.

An astute observation! Now that you mention it I remember those comments about the Beatles too.  But listening now to some of the '70's Australian and Kiwi bands, a faux Peter Gabriel style seemed to be quite popular - no broad vowels there...
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 09:09
"But listening now to some of the '70's Australian and Kiwi bands, a faux Peter Gabriel style seemed to be quite popular"

Which bands are you thinking of? I can't think of anyone who matches that description except Airlord.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 15:34
Resonaxis , church organ-led prog rock of the highest caliber. Check them out! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:00
still bitter my fellow collab's didn't submit to my browbeating and decide to add this band.

This album gets plays more than Genesis (early that is) for god's sake. LOL 

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 18:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

still bitter my fellow collab's didn't submit to my browbeating and decide to add this band.

G'Day Michael ! Nice to see you here, even if its just a passing fancy! I, for one,  miss your twisted humor !Wink Hello to Raff
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 19:56

I'm equally bitter about Company Caine, Chetarca, Crossfire, Madder Lake, Blackfeather, Extradition...

(McPhee not a huge favourite of mine, but I would agree that they belong here as at least proto-prog)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by sl75 sl75 wrote:

I'm equally bitter about Company Caine, Chetarca, Crossfire, Madder Lake, Blackfeather, Extradition...

(McPhee not a huge favourite of mine, but I would agree that they belong here as at least proto-prog)

I'm not sure how many of those rejects are new or could be laid at the feet of the old team, but I remember there was a lovely man  from Austrailia that posted here years ago before disappearing. A real sweetheart whose name escapes me, Raff would know... she forgets nothing... but he threw scores and scores of Aussie bands at us to evaluate. Really good stuff too!! Some we added..some we didn't.

McPhee was symptomatic of the real difficult jobs the collabs have, but one IMO they can make harder on themselves by being judge jury and executioner on bands already judged by intellects more vast and immortal than their own. Larger public opinion.  It is considered a prog band,  or a least an Austrailian progressive rock band. Does it SOUND prog .. not one damn bit..  progressive... very lightly.However any search for Austrailian progressive rock will turn up that album.

The way I always saw it,  the site is not a playpen for favs or personal tastes. It does say on that nice site banner... the ultimate resource ...  the job was always to catalog and if one was to error.. it was to error on the side of being inclusionary.. rather than being exclusionary. This site had LONG ever stopped being a simple prog rock site. It had veered deeply into 'progressive' long before I helped corrupt it further.

I always thought the best way to see it was to Let the listeners discover and judge for themselves.

Really...  other than a few idiots and space cadets.. what is the worst that can happen..

oh my god.. i love this band... and love the music... or would.. except for isn't prog.

those people should  get swift kicks in the ass hahah.

Anyhow Keep up  the good fight and exposing the music and the bands. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 21:03
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

G'Day Michael ! Nice to see you here, even if its just a passing fancy! I, for one,  miss your twisted humor !Wink Hello to Raff

Yeah.  I was bored earier today, having been banned from the Beastforum for my controversial views and perverse tastes, so I decided to  sneak a peak over here and saw this nice blog.

Raff yells hello back at ya!!! I hope all is well with you! All is good here, I actually got Raff enjoying my Willie Nelson albums. Now if I could only get her to start loving I Pooh as I do. LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 00:47
Mike, you dog !   Wonderful to see you.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 04:57
Nice to see some Aussie prog PA members resurfacing from the catacombs. I must get onto more Aussie prog reviews of bands... been very busy though.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 10:43

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Yeah.  I was bored earier today, having been banned from the Beastforum for my controversial views and perverse tastes, so I decided to  sneak a peak over here and saw this nice blog.

Raff yells hello back at ya!!! I hope all is well with you! All is good here, I actually got Raff enjoying my Willie Nelson albums. Now if I could only get her to start loving I Pooh as I do. LOL

Willi Nelson and I Pooh! talk about polar oppositesLOL sort of....Confused
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 07:37
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Mike, you dog !   Wonderful to see you.

Hey David!  Great to see you alive and kicking hahaha. It has been a long time. Funny, I was talking to someone at the NJ Proghouse last weekend about the Palepoli album and I did have to mention your review of it, still one of my favorite (i.e. best) reviews I have ever read. Smile All is well with us and hope you are doing well! We are planning on making a west coast tour next summer, it has nearly 30 years since I've been back home and Raff is itching badly to finally see the west coast.  We'd definitely like to hook up with you when we come out.

Edited by micky - October 18 2014 at 07:38
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 07:42
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Nice to see some Aussie prog PA members resurfacing from the catacombs. I must get onto more Aussie prog reviews of bands... been very busy though.

I don't suppose Coops, T.Rox, is one of those  Aussie PA members that has resurfaced.  I really liked him and he just disappeared.

Edited by micky - October 18 2014 at 07:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>