Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopol Vuh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 14:36
Originally posted by Sergey Lenkov Sergey Lenkov wrote:

P.S. I find CDs by Popol Vuh in one biggest music store in Moscow, but it seems strange for me that in the Web age somebody couldn't find anything in his local store. There are Amazons, Discogs, GEMM, Musicstack, eBAy etc. - and it's easy to find any official CD or LP by Popol Vuh there.

That's the reason why local stores and what not, are losing customers and revenue.

The tastes have widened and it is impossible for any store to handle enough material to be able to sell it to the folks that come in ... that is, btw, the main reason why "top ten" and "hits" are so important to the "economy" ... so you DO GO TO THE STORE, and also buy a drink along the stuff you get, which helps the economy go around!

But if your tastes differ, the chance of getting it locally in a small town? ... not very good at all!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sergey Lenkov View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 02:04
So why getting locally - buy globally on the WebSmile
Support the artists.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 15:22
Again, regarding Gemm, E-Bay etc. - there's always some dim-wit who asks some way too inflated price for an album, or some maniac who stubbornly puts in a proxy-bid of whatever 3-figure number he/she can think of and you can never afford to win the item - this is always the case with Popol Vuh vinyl.  Even the re-issues are few and far between......
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 17:12
I never pay over the odds for original/early reissue LPs. I don't buy new pressings either. Too many are poorly done cash grabs. So the reissue/remastered CD is always just fine. In fact i prefer CDs. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Edited by libertycaps - May 05 2013 at 17:13
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 13:35
I'm also prefering CDs - too much interesting music and it needs too much place in my room LOL
And I'm still buying books. If I would buy LPs - in my room would live CDs, LPs and booksLOL
When I'm listening to Popol Vuh I'm always having feeling that there's something behind this music.
You could call it atmosphere, spirit, energy.
It creates positive feeling even if you are listening to music from Nosferatu.
What do you like in music by PV most of all?
And I read the opinion that last albums were mainly work by Guido Hyeroniumus, but if you compare Shepherd's Symphonie or City Raga with Guido/Frank Fiedler's post-Popol Vuh records, it's obvious that music by Guido is quite different.
Truely, it a mystery for me how PV worked in studio in the 90s.

And yeah, there are many persons who are wanting to take Big money for their items on eBay, Musickstack etc., but if you are constantly hunting for somrthing - it's usually possible to find your price and your CD/LP sooner or later.
Of course, not in all casesWink

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 07 2013 at 13:42
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 13:44
^ Too bad I don't know much about their music post-'81.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 11:39
Why not to try to listen to these albums?Wink
Agape-Agape and Spirit of Peace are continuation of the sound from the second part of the 70s.
Cobra Verde - truely the music is much more impressive in the film by Werner Herzog (with Klaus Kinski, of course) - there are short floating ambiental tracks, long Afro-ethnic peace - it works if you saw the film.
For You and Me - well-recorded old and new tracks with more light sound - choral singing, guitars.
City Raga and Shepherd's Symphonie - electronic beat tracks with ethnic samples in style of Deep Forest, Banco da Gaia etc. For a start it's better to see the film Kailash on Youtube - ambient tracks from this film were developed to tracks on both these albums.

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 08 2013 at 11:40
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 01:36
There was one Popol Vuh album I heard many years ago, I didn't really like it - I forget the title, but it has some religious sect (?) standing in a circle on the cover-photo......it has a German title.  Renate Knaup from Amon Duul II was on it too.  'Hosianna Mantra' on the other hand..................pure bliss.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 01:57
It is Sei Still, Wisse ICH BIN.
I like the first track.Smile

There's Oriental ritualistic feeling in it, but the music is quite heavy (not in metal sence of this word) to listen to it too much.
Truely Florian in the beginning of this song is citing Russian Orthodox choral - probably that's why it seems interesting for me.

Ambiental Popol Vuh of the 90s

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 09 2013 at 02:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 09:39
^ Yes, "Wehe Khorazin" rocks that album with hellish vocals. Don't care much for the rest, though.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 01:47
By the way, there's one more mistake in the article by Gary Bearman.
He wrote about this album: "One can only assume that electronic music guru Klaus Schulze co-producing this album must have had an effect on why everything sounds a bit twisted".

Album was originally released on label by Klaus Schulze Innovative Communication - it's correct information.
But in bio of Schulze by KDM, his manager, there is following reference to release of Popol Vuh album:

"Alongside our IC productions, WEA released two discs on IC we had nothing to do with, we only agreed to their release: One by the British Francis Monkman, and an old, historic album by Popol Vuh".

So it seems that Klaus Schulze really didn't do any sound producing on "Sei Still...", though hе could be credited as producer on original release.

Check out iformation twice before believe enything written about PV.
Sad that those people who could give us correct information are prefering to stay silent.

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 12 2013 at 01:52
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 14:45
Really enjoying Aguirre. Will pick up Hoisana Mantra and Letze Tage CDs in the near future.
The more acoustic tracks here remind me of Brian Eno's Ambient 4 especially for some reason.
Have to admit to liking the mellower stuff more and more as i get mellower/older too.
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 15:09
^ ... Unless you are anything like me who's been predisposed to ambient since the age of 17.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 04:08
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

Really enjoying Aguirre. Will pick up Hoisana Mantra and Letze Tage CDs in the near future.
The more acoustic tracks here remind me of Brian Eno's Ambient 4 especially for some reason.
Have to admit to liking the mellower stuff more and more as i get mellower/older too.

Truely, Eno was heavy German iflunced, so it's no wonder.
Letze Tage - is raga rock album, with more rock elements on it.
Hosianna Mantra truely close to chamber music of late 19th century (with the adding of electro guitar)Smile
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 18:06
The haunting soundtrack to Herzog's Nosferatu was the first time I heard them, and I was hooked. Then I went back to their previous work. Mesmerizing. Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 14:07
The first time I heard them was when I watched "Aguirre, Wrath Of God", their music created the perfect atmosphere for the opening scene. Great movie. I haven't heard any of their other albums but I'm going to investigate further!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 00:29
Many openings are waiting for you, but prepare that concept of Popol Vuh sound developed constantly. So if you don't like any album - take the previous or the following one - for sure you'll find something interesting.
I also started with films by Herzog but after that I opened for myself heavy ambient of the first two albums, exquisite ballads from Hosianna, raga rock of Letze Tage, electronic beat of Shepherd's Symphonie... And each reincarnation of Popol Vuh gave me much positive feeliing. And prog rock sound of Gila's album "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" (only PV members including Fricke were on this album).
Also check out Kailash video on You Tube with PV's music.

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 25 2013 at 00:31
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:18

Truely, Eno was heavy German iflunced, so it's no wonder.
Letze Tage - is raga rock album, with more rock elements on it.
Hosianna Mantra truely close to chamber music of late 19th century (with the adding of electro guitar)Smile

I'm not sure that Eno is influenced by the Germans, anymore than they are influenced by him.

They are both contemporaries, and let's say -- for the sake of semantics -- that Eno was plying with loops and simply figuring out how to make these sound interesting and better (start with "No Pussyfooting" with Robert Fripp), and the Germans were more into the atmospheric side of it, in the first 3 or 4 years, before the whole thing got corrupted with a little fame, and Timothy Leary!

The mood and atmorphere of the whole piece was more important for the Germans ... whereas Eno, would not have worried about that while doing it, and then later, he started adding painting and other light shows to help illustrate a process of visualization that was ever changing.

Let's say, for words' sakes that Eno was a scientist and that the Germans were artists! Both music's were very fine, regardless!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 11:16
Brian Eno lived in Berlin for some time while recording with David Bowie and there were much interaction and work with German musicians.
"Affenstunde" was recorded by PV in 1970 before Eno became more or less known.
And the idea of ambient is present there. Holger Czukay, Can, NEU!, Konnie Plank - Bowie and Eno appreciated all of them.

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 26 2013 at 11:18
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 12:24

Brian Eno lived in Berlin for some time while recording with David Bowie and there were much interaction and work with German musicians.

I am not sure that Eno cared what others did, because he himself is not musically taught, or studied ... and we would be intimating that his ability to tune in  (he said on EM that he was pitch perfect) was not there, and we know it was, or he would not have been able to play with rock musicians like he did! He had to have at least, some rudimentary and basic music knowledge ... !!!

But it is obvious from the way he speaks and describes what he is trying to do, that if there is one thing he can do is dis-associate himself from the "melody" of the standard music definition (all music is "melody" kind of thing!), and create something else that also works within the music.

This was VASTLY different than what the Germans were doing, and you can hear Timothy Leary say a few words about it on 7-UP ... and in many ways, it made it look like Klaus Schulze, was merely playing around with the knobs, which might have been the case, but there also was a very well defined young man that KNEW music fairly well ... and the folks in CAN were not dummies ... when they had instructors whose names were in the who's who of experimental music in the 20th century that we -- here -- are scared poop-less to even consider, or discuss! All of those folks were all "anti", most western concepts of music, thus a lot of things were created that were different, and some of it ended up being called "krautrock", but others went in different directions ... to the point that CAN ended up making fun of disco ... but then you see what's his name say ... "not repetitive enough" ... and it makes you wonder what these "professors" were getting at? ... I don't think it was disco!

It should also be mentioned that the theater tradition during that time in Germany was highly experimental, and even one of its young starts went on to write for Wim Wenders in film ... and his process for lyrics in many of his plays was stranger than ruth or fiction ... and you won't believe it ... and it was the greates nightmare for actors on stage ... which might appear interesting to David Bowie (it did!) later. For ENO, I think it was more the chance to get out of London and be around a foreign place and experience a foreign thing for a chance! A different approach to music! Which helped David and Eno create a couple of things!

But I think that David was probably more interested in the acting and the very rich theater traditions in German history, than he would have been in anything else, and later he even went on to do Kurt Weill, which no doubt he looked at while there with Eno!

"Affenstunde" was recorded by PV in 1970 before Eno became more or less known.

Agreed. However this album is less of a representative of anything else but the experiment of what the synthsizer could or might do, which at the time, was not exactly flowing electronics and moody stuff, but mostly anti-music doodling and fooling that was rather meaningless, even when it had a name.

I've always thought that it was a good name for the piece, that described a lot of the visual and internal elements of the very book they are named after ... but I seriously doubt that anyone here would ever make that connection ... or have a way to figure out exactly what that meant! It would be the same with the BARDO, portions of which would have us scared out of our underwear quickly before the whole house knows it!

ENO's process was a lot less about what the whole sequence of sounds might have felt like, and create a mood, and this might have been his eventual problem with Bryan Ferry ... one wanting to go all over the place with the knobs and sounds, and Bryan saying ... the music has to get tighter!

And the idea of ambient is present there. Holger Czukay, Can, NEU!, Konnie Plank - Bowie and Eno appreciated all of them.

It might be considered that the "ambient" thing started way before that, and even Beaver and Krause had their moments, that Tangerine Dream paid a tribute to in Stratosfear.

I think the real problem was ... when is ambient jsut a flip of the knob ... and when is ambient important ... and in this situation, ENO and everyone else, had a strong hand in it. NEU and the early pioneers of the Kraftwerk society and Faust, were already playing around with the knobs ... NEU, is almost exclusively about what that sound does and continue the piece until you are sick of it, but it sounded really stoney and far out, and we liked it, but is probably just a nice garage jam with a little effects added to it ... or just like Brian Jones telling us that The Pipes of Pan were not messed with at all, and neither was the Missa Luba!

The Cosmic Couriers were also "ambient" ... in many ways ... but because they are not repetitive, and tended to continue on a theme and feeling a lot more than just being repetitive ... it has a tendency to make folks think that it is just a meandering jam, which it could be, but if so, they certainly are very well tuned to each other, which is not always a very good trait found in "jams" at all, but for a few minutes. When you listen to "Join Inn" and other pieces, there is a nice quiet inner self that is not about "ambient" and who gives a damn about what it is called. It's a magnificent piece of music to use for loving ... but maybe you only want Joni Mitchell to listen to during that moment! The same for the "Cosmic Jokers" album, but it makes me want to question the sensuality of a lot of people here ... who have to have lyrics while enjoying some sex? Or creating a fantasy?

WEIRD!

Edited by moshkito - May 26 2013 at 12:28
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>