Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Appreciation Thread
    Posted: September 09 2012 at 00:20
Well, recently, i had bought "Tago Mago" and "Ege Bamyasi"...and i was SO easily impressed, mostly by the rythm. Jeez, that drummer literally BREATHES through his drumset. So, i decided to start an appreciation thread for the german krautrock band "Can", if its ok with the forums.
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

mongofa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 00:34

Indeed a great band, one of my favorites. Even their "pop" phase I like, IE "I Want More". My favorite album is...Tago Mago I guess...or Future Days...or Monster Movie...or Ege Bamyasi...What did you think of the Lost Tapes? I made a thread about it if you want to check it out, in Top 10s.

One funny thing about Can is the first time I heard them I didn't like tham at all...at all. I conciously told myself "This is a band I don't like" and now they are probably my favorite.

Edited by mongofa - September 09 2012 at 00:36
lmaorofllollmao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 00:45
I've actually only heard the two albums i mentioned. The first song i heard was "Pinch". I had trouble adjusting, but it only took 2 listens and i immediately starting clapping to it. Phenomenal. btw, the band is incredibely influencial, arent they? Even the least proggy bands cite Captain Beefheart and Can as their biggest influences.
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 01:00
I found some of the albums really hard to get into, but they always had one or two tracks I loved straight away.
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 10:21
Monster Movie
Soundtracks
Tago Mago
Ege Bamyasi
Future Days
Soon Over Babaluma
Unlimited Edition
Saw Delight

these are must must haves, but i can say my alltime fav Can album is Future Days, followed by Tago Mago then Monster Movie
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 10:41
Future Days is by far my favorite. Babaluma comes in second.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 11:45
Objectively one of the best bands to ever exist. All fantastic:

Ege Bamyasi
Soundtracks 
Tago Mago  
Future Days
Monster Movie 
The Peel Sessions (contains mostly original material)
Soon Over Babaluma
Landed

+ Over an hour out of the three on The Lost Tapes is also up to that standard. Highlights

Also worth having:

Unlimited Edition
Saw Delight
Flow Motion
Delay1968
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:14

I first heard them in 74' and I believe it was the album Future Days. I then purchased Soon Over Babaluma. I truly like Unlimited Edition....There is a piece titled "Cutaway" which I find to be strange. About 4 minutes and 14 seconds into the piece there are chord voicings played on a smooth sustaining keyboard . This entire section is just outstanding for stargazing and I have yet found any other piece on earth that will take me to a place in the stars. It resolves around 7 minutes and 56 seconds. This is a wonderful excerpt from "Cutaway" which at one time I had recorded it on to tape about 10 times with editing. This method I used for stargazing so I wouldn't be forced to interupte the flow of my mind state. This was recorded in 1969 and the keyboard setting I had not heard anywhere else...so that boggles my mind how they experimented and came up with futuristic sounds and settings.

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:15
A question for you more acquainted with Can's music. How's the Unlimited Edition compared to say The Lost Tapes? I allready own TLT and like it a lot. Is it worth owning both?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:29
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

A question for you more acquainted with Can's music. How's the Unlimited Edition compared to say The Lost Tapes? I allready own TLT and like it a lot. Is it worth owning both?
I still haven't heard the lost tapes....shame on me! Unlimited Edition is in fact a collection of odds and ends. Malcom Mooney spontaneous storytelling on "Mother Upduff" strangely reminds me of a mental patient (friend) I use to visit in a mental institution. Oddly enough, (and if I'm not mistaken), something strange happened to Malcom Mooney. I wish I could recall exactly what that was. He was either paranoid or had a bad trip. I can't recall if he died a mysterious death or experienced some strange event in his life? I have to research that again
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:32
It's always hard to pick favourites, but Can is one of those bands that will never leave my top 5
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:35

His shrink adviced him to leave Can in 1970

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:38
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I first heard them in 74' and I believe it was the album Future Days. I then purchased Soon Over Babaluma. I truly like Unlimited Edition....There is a piece titled "Cutaway" which I find to be strange. About 4 minutes and 14 seconds into the piece there are chord voicings played on a smooth sustaining keyboard . This entire section is just outstanding for stargazing and I have yet found any other piece on earth that will take me to a place in the stars. It resolves around 7 minutes and 56 seconds. This is a wonderful excerpt from "Cutaway" which at one time I had recorded it on to tape about 10 times with editing. This method I used for stargazing so I wouldn't be forced to interupte the flow of my mind state. This was recorded in 1969 and the keyboard setting I had not heard anywhere else...so that boggles my mind how they experimented and came up with futuristic sounds and settings.

I know exactly the section you mean.  It's astoundingly good.  Unlimited Edition is a favorite of mine too.  It might have actually been the album to push me over the edge into hardcore fanhood, even though I already had Monster Movie thru Ege Bamyasi already.  One time in Chapel Hill I was listening to the student radio station and they played the whole Unlimited Edition album, and I recorded it off the radio.  I was transfixed by how freaking long it was.  Just when you think it's gone on forever already, there's another 9 minute song.  And I didn't mind.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 12:41
At first, I wasn't all that crazy about Can.  I liked their weirdness, but the jammy repetitiveness wasn't all that interesting to me at first.  But over time I came to understand how intricately detailed those supposedly "jammy" sections actually were.  Masterpieces of studio craft, they are.  Case in point, Future Days is now my favorite album of all time, but I didn't really care for it all that much for the first 10 years I owned it.  And then, late one night, it entered me.

They're in my top 5 bands now for sure.

Edited by HolyMoly - September 09 2012 at 12:41
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 16:55

I first heard them in 74' and I believe it was the album Future Days. I then purchased Soon Over Babaluma.

Same here. But I was aware of Can, before, via a piece of music they did on the film "Deep End" that had Jane Asher in the lead. It was a rather unusual film, and I would have loved to see Jane do more film work. There was a moment in there that a band was rocking out in a club, and it was Can, doing "Mother Sky" ... and it was blistering to hear that and not find the albums ... until ... finally ... we saw "Future Days" released here.

In those days, imports lagged terribly and Jem records and the guys in NY were not very good at deciding what to bring in, and the numbers were very limited. but we finally found "Movies" and then "Soundtracks" at Tower Records on the Strip, and by 1974, Moby Disk was already carrying all the Can stuff right up to date! Was with them and ALL their releases all the way to about 1985 or so ... I think the last thing I got was the Dr. Walker stuff that Holger did.

While Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi will forever be the bands quintessential albums, the two albums I play the most beginning to end is Future Days and Soon Over Babbalooma ... and the two long cuts on Babbalooma, back to back is one amazing transition and simplicity and care of detail by a master drummer. He also showed his patience in the middle part of Future Days when it would be really easy to just give it a time keeping metronomic detail, and instead, he sticks to simply adding atmosphere and not timing/drumming a whole lot ... until it comes back to the main theme. You can not, exactly, teach that sensitivity ... it is an acquired touch (taste?) that most musicians do not have, or ever learn to use in music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 17:37
I was in a record shop yesterday, and the place was literally drowning in Krautrock vinyls - in particular Can albums. I bought a couple, but today I am really kicking myself for not picking up a copy of their Doko E 'album'......
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 17:52
Originally posted by mongofa mongofa wrote:

One funny thing about Can is the first time I heard them I didn't like tham at all...at all.

Same happened to me. Now they are one of my absolute favorite bands.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 17:59
Gotta say after giving Tago Mago a spin recently, the first half is an incredible piece of music, finishing off with Halleluwah, which is one of those great epics.  However, after the intensity and musicality of the first half, things start to slip away.  The other epic, Augmn is kind of dull after the power of Halleluwah.  It seems like the song is about 16 and a half minutes too long.  Things pick back up again after that one, but never really recaptures what they did in the first half.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 21:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I first heard them in 74' and I believe it was the album Future Days. I then purchased Soon Over Babaluma.

Same here. But I was aware of Can, before, via a piece of music they did on the film "Deep End" that had Jane Asher in the lead. It was a rather unusual film, and I would have loved to see Jane do more film work. There was a moment in there that a band was rocking out in a club, and it was Can, doing "Mother Sky" ... and it was blistering to hear that and not find the albums ... until ... finally ... we saw "Future Days" released here.

In those days, imports lagged terribly and Jem records and the guys in NY were not very good at deciding what to bring in, and the numbers were very limited. but we finally found "Movies" and then "Soundtracks" at Tower Records on the Strip, and by 1974, Moby Disk was already carrying all the Can stuff right up to date! Was with them and ALL their releases all the way to about 1985 or so ... I think the last thing I got was the Dr. Walker stuff that Holger did.

Didn't Greenworld carry imports?  I thought they were located on the west coast. Archie Patterson worked for Greenworld if I'm not mistaken. Maybe that was later than '74 . I do recall however United Artists domestic label releasing the Can albums.
While Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi will forever be the bands quintessential albums, the two albums I play the most beginning to end is Future Days and Soon Over Babbalooma ... and the two long cuts on Babbalooma, back to back is one amazing transition and simplicity and care of detail by a master drummer. He also showed his patience in the middle part of Future Days when it would be really easy to just give it a time keeping metronomic detail, and instead, he sticks to simply adding atmosphere and not timing/drumming a whole lot ... until it comes back to the main theme. You can not, exactly, teach that sensitivity ... it is an acquired touch (taste?) that most musicians do not have, or ever learn to use in music!
This is all very true. Great detailed points about Can
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 00:15
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Gotta say after giving Tago Mago a spin recently, the first half is an incredible piece of music, finishing off with Halleluwah, which is one of those great epics.  However, after the intensity and musicality of the first half, things start to slip away.  The other epic, Augmn is kind of dull after the power of Halleluwah.  It seems like the song is about 16 and a half minutes too long.  Things pick back up again after that one, but never really recaptures what they did in the first half.

If it weren't for the second half Tago Mago would be a top 10 album for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>