Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 14:00
cloudstr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 12:39
Well, newly discovered Can footage with ultra sleazy Damo will scare the sh*t out of anybody. Welcome! (remember take some drugs then watch this, high as sky..)

Edited by cloudstr - April 20 2014 at 12:42
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 09:42
Originally posted by lmaorofllollmao lmaorofllollmao wrote:

Well, recently, i had bought "Tago Mago" and "Ege Bamyasi"...and i was SO easily impressed, mostly by the rythm. Jeez, that drummer literally BREATHES through his drumset. So, i decided to start an appreciation thread for the german krautrock band "Can", if its ok with the forums.

There is a lot in it that is really nice, different, and something that in regards to 2 other threads on this board is not usually acceptable as "progressive" because it does not (necessarily) have a format, even though it comes off as a "song". And many times, it might have something that we can discern as similar, or closer to a symphony design/concept, but done with electric instruments.

The hard part for a CAN afficionado, is to make sense of the words that both Holger, Irmin and Jaki use in their interviews. Few people can relate to the "cut and paste" mentality that Holger says was used in "Tago Mago" taken from 20 some housrs of material! "Ege Bamyasi", for me appears to be completely live, albeit in a studio it seems.

A lot of the "freeform" in it, is in Damo, doing whatever comes to mind, which I think is more difficult in music, as folks here and in other places, do not believe that musicians have the ability to free form as easily as actors in theater, and "voice workers" can. I disagree with that thought, but by the time you see the definition of "progressive" or "prog" the ability to free form gets taken out completely!  It is not accepted because it is not composed, and only animals don't use "composition" to think/create music.

There were many elements that also went along with many other things in theater and film in Europe that are difficult to discuss, specially that both Malcom Mooney and Damo came from theater and acting groups, which should in some ways help define something that can be done in music, that is not often done.

That said, the two albums I love the most are "Future Days" and "Soon Over Babbaluma". Between "Bel Air" and then the 2 long cuts that seque together (Chain Reaction and Quantuum Physics) are some of the prettiest things ever done, and to show you what a great rock drummer can do, catch Jaki during the quiet moments ... you don't need to count beats ... you just need to color the music! And this is what the band studied instead of some mechanical form of music, even though it's hard to say that when you thint they are "disco'ing". They aren't.

I would like to see, in the future, some remastering/remixing done on these works. But I doubt that Steven Wilson is willing or able to do music that is not as egocentric as his and his band's is. There is too much exploration in all of these 4 folks that is not widely done, or accepted.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 10:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I would like to see, in the future, some remastering/remixing done on these works. But I doubt that Steven Wilson is willing or able to do music that is not as egocentric as his and his band's is. There is too much exploration in all of these 4 folks that is not widely done, or accepted.
Given that he's about to issue a Bass Communion box-set and is still selling his Krautrock influenced I.E.M. albums on the SWQH web-site, I wouldn't be so sure. However, SWilson isn't the only person who can remaster an album (personally, given how Can produced albums I don't see that remixing Can is anything that anyone other than Can themselves should do).

Edited by Dean - April 21 2014 at 10:55
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123