Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSweet Hole (Spain) for Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweet Hole (Spain) for Heavy Prog
    Posted: September 10 2012 at 02:39
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 06:05
According to bandcamp the album isn't officially released until October 28, and only one track is currently streaming on there (five of the seven tracks on the EP can be listened to via myspace though). I guess an evaluation is permissible being as a definite release date has been set and all the tracks are quite obviously recorded and ready to go...not sure whether this is really Symphonic Prog though. Ermm There again, I haven't really got a clue when it comes to sub genres...but this sounds to me like an amalgamation of Hard Rock and Heavy Prog - the structure of the songs and the interplay between the instruments just doesn't seem anywhere near complex enough for Symphonic.
Iván will see the word 'Symphonic' in the thread title, and will set us straight on the matter before too long though. Thumbs Up

Edit:...That's actually 28th October 2011...I was half asleep when I read it first!! Embarrassed Seems strange that only one track is streaming though, and no option to purchase either... Ermm

Edited by yam yam - September 10 2012 at 06:13
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 06:29
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

According to bandcamp the album isn't officially released until October 28, and only one track is currently streaming on there (five of the seven tracks on the EP can be listened to via myspace though). I guess an evaluation is permissible being as a definite release date has been set and all the tracks are quite obviously recorded and ready to go...not sure whether this is really Symphonic Prog though. Ermm There again, I haven't really got a clue when it comes to sub genres...but this sounds to me like an amalgamation of Hard Rock and Heavy Prog - the structure of the songs and the interplay between the instruments just doesn't seem anywhere near complex enough for Symphonic.
Iván will see the word 'Symphonic' in the thread title, and will set us straight on the matter before too long though. Thumbs Up

Edit:...That's actually 28th October 2011...I was half asleep when I read it first!! Embarrassed Seems strange that only one track is streaming though, and no option to purchase either... Ermm
I don't now spanish, so maybe I'm wrong, but it really seems to me that here's an option to purchase:  http://subterraneoheavy.com/webzine/archives/48860

Thank you for reply, Yam Yam Thumbs Up Of course, Ivan Melgar will set us straight on the metter, but for my ears this band will still to be Symphonic Prog -  without a question..

Edited by Svetonio - September 10 2012 at 06:57
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 07:25
^  Yes, you're right - on this website the album can be bought:

"Riddles Of Mind"

Price: 5,00 €

Gift: 1 € discount
 Payment: PayPal, bank transfer or money order.

Delivery time: 3 to 4 days (so it must be a physical CD they are supplying). It just seems so very strange that you can't stream it in full on bandcamp, or buy the album digitally on there.

These sub genres are a total freak-out for me! Don't ever take anything I say seriously, my friend - I just like having a go at guessing them now and again...'guess' being very much the order of the day!!! This band just reminded me vaguely of Uriah Heep now and again, that's all. Embarrassed
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 14:13
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I don't now spanish, so maybe I'm wrong, but it really seems to me that here's an option to purchase:  http://subterraneoheavy.com/webzine/archives/48860

Thank you for reply, Yam Yam Thumbs Up Of course, Ivan Melgar will set us straight on the metter, but for my ears this band will still to be Symphonic Prog -  without a question..

Well, your ears are wrong Wink LOL

In their own country is described like this (It's in Spanish, but their influences are listed in English)

Quote  David Alejo. Así Miguel, Carlos y Eduardo empezaron a ensayar, a componer inspirándose en grandes bandas de los setenta como Deep Purple o Led Zeppelin y también en bandas más recientes como Metallica o Dream Theater. Tras varios meses ensayando el grupo se estancó un poco y se encontraban los tres con la necesidad de agregar un nuevo instrumento, y en concreto, alguien que supiera manejar con soltura y destreza el teclado y dado que desde el principio el grupo no fue formado a base de castings, contaron con un amigo de Eduardo, Javier Barrantes.

More or less it says that they started to write music inspired in Deep Purple Led Zeppelin, Metallica and Dream Theater.

They remind me of another Spanish band as Barón Rojo, more than Symphonic bands as Triana, Cal or others.

Everything points towards heavy Prog IMHO.

Cheers

Iván

PS: In Spain, new bands  search for Padrinazgo (a band that presents and supports them ) of a famous band with similar sound, in this case the famous group THE STORM, one of the most legendary Spanish Hard Rock bands assumed the role of Sweet Hole "Padrinos" (Godfathers)

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 11 2012 at 14:20

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2012 at 23:49
Thank you, Ivan Thumbs Up

TBH, before your reply, I'v been afraid that you will say "IMHO not prog at all" LOL

Sweetprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 08:24
Hi everyone! sorry for not writing before in this forum. We´ve just signed up in recently. The information posted about Sweet Hole is not right at all. It was posted by the first drummer of the band, Eduardo López who died in 2011 and those videos were recorded in 2008. Riddles OF Mind was a demo that the band made with old takes of their first drummer as a gift for his family. The band changed of drummer, style and sound and recorded in 2012 their real first album called "Retrospective". Now we are about to release a new conceptual EP called "Assassin". The album "Retrospective" is entirely at youtube.This is one song, "On the edge of the abyss":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymi9umIbw3g 

There is a podcast from Friday Night Progressive talking about the band and you can find them here:
www.facebook.com/sweetprog
www.sweetholeband.com

Cheers!!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 20:06

It would be the entire album now; and I changed the genre suggestion from symph to heavy prog.

Edited by Svetonio - December 01 2014 at 20:11
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 17:24
on HP charts, have not heard the music yet but following Ivan's comment
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 23:39
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

on HP charts, have not heard the music yet but following Ivan's comment
Thank you appatsos Thumbs Up

By the way, while I'm listening to the entire album now (after two years), their long songs really sound to me as, say, a "musical palimpsest"; as, say, "the song inside the song". One can hear very clear that 70s-like Symphonic Prog inside of a 70s-like Heavy Prog songs - Yam Yam had righT when he mentioned Uriah Heep. These symphonic parts (pretty "songs inside songs") can be hear in e.g. On The Edge Of Abyss video from 1:22 to 5:38; in Inferior Being from 5:17 to 8:13; in Own Our Death from 5:42 to 8:05; in The World Of My Time from 4:10-8:08, etc.
There is a small amount of Southern Rock also, e.g. in Beyond of Shield from 6:00 to 7:51. 
Anyway, it is a very interesting music indeed.
Congrats to the band!

Edited by Svetonio - December 11 2014 at 00:35
Sweetprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 11:29
Hello again everybody, We have news of Sweet Hole!! 
we have released a new EP called "Assassin" that shows a new sound of the band. You can listen it at Spotify, Itunes, GooglePlay, and many more sites.

Hope you like it!!

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 16:42
Will check! Added under your page, let me know if the details are correct
Sweetprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 05:41
Yes it´s correct! on Autumn we are doing and tour in Europe, first time out from Spain! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply