Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamelias Garden (Italy) for RPI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camelias Garden (Italy) for RPI
    Posted: September 12 2012 at 00:23
http://www.reverbnation.com/cameliasgarden

An album is released at September 15, 2012 on Fading Records and AltrOck Productions.

Edited by Svetonio - September 12 2012 at 05:18
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 09:21
There certainly is an astonishing difference in style between the six samples on Reverbnation and the YouTube sample 'A Useless Faith' (which is often a feature of RPI), but I don't know enough about the sub genre to say if this music really belongs to it. I always expect true RPI music to be sung in Italian, but I'm not sure if this is actually an essential requirement. My own feelings about this band from what I have heard so far  that make me think they would be best in either Crossover or Eclectic, but I think we really need to hear the whole album because some of this material actually sounds a bit weak on the prog side to me - whether the stronger tracks and the variations in style between the compositions compensates sufficiently for this remains to be seen. The 3-minute instrumental 'Broken Jar' is probably my favourite track of the Reverbnation samples - definitely classically inspired in true RPI tradition, with a short section in the middle that for a moment sounds as though it could have come straight out of Genesis's 'Trick of The Tail' ('Ripples', I think)...and 'An Endless Faith' itself is truly a superb piece of symphonic progressive rock Heart (starts off much like Steve Hackett's 'Twice Around The Sun' from his 'Darktown' album). I'm pretty sure that this band is decent PA material - the indisputably proggy stronger tracks (some of the others sound not unlike Steve Hackett's more recent material from the 2nd half of the last decade) will pretty well guarantee that imo, but this is going to be a tough one to assign sub-genre wise overall, I feel.

Edited by yam yam - September 12 2012 at 09:38
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 09:45

It's true Yam, some of these bands can be very tough to place. 

Thanks Svet, I'll bring the band to our team for evaluation and report back here when we know something.  Thanks.  Smile

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 09:51
Thanks Jim. I was just about to send it to your team for first look.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 11:13
I'm confused! Confused

The stark difference between 'A Useless Faith' and the rest of the samples for this band made me load the video on YouTube itself for further info...and there's none (It is also embedded in the middle of the band's reverbnation page, again with no info, and when you click the 'All Videos' button there is nothing actually displayed there for Camelias Garden...) Ermm
When I say no info, I mean no info! There are no tags, no 'likes' or 'dislikes', no comments, and no description other than "The video identified with the URL {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LLF7ZwShQo} has a soundtrack under license of Creative Commons" . Stated category is simply 'music', and we have the the obligatory 'standard YouTube licence'. There is nothing to say where this video originated, and who is actually perfoming it. I can't find anything to suggest it is to be included on the forthcoming album, & I can't hear anything that sounds remotely like it in the AltrOck/Fading Records medley for this release on bandcamp.

However, it was uploaded by user http://www.youtube.com/user/oirelav8891, 'Valerio's Wondrous World', and he has 25 vids in all - some of which are superb tributes he has put together based on material by well known bands (King Crimson, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree etc.), and it also it turns out that the keyboard player and vocalist of Camelias Garden is named Valerio Smordoni (first name coincidence? - I doubt it!), and we already know from the reverbnation bio that Camelias' Garden was born as a one-man project...What's more the Camelias Garden live vids he has uploaded are 3 months old whereas 'A Useless Faith' is 2 years old, and he has other similar sorts of rather excellent vids, of similar age, which he has apparently created himself (he seems to be a very talented multi-instrumentalist, who also excels on the production side of things too), so I have a feeling that this video/song is actually nothing to do whatsoever with the current Camelias Garden project, but simply a bit of wonderful personal indulgence by the very gifted keyboard player around which the band is based.

What a shame eh?

However he has uploaded this:

Which is great, and definitely IS Camelias Garden!!  Tongue  So enjoy!!  Big smile

And check out Valerio's Wondrous World too...there's one or two surprises on there for sure!!  Approve

Edited by yam yam - September 12 2012 at 11:30
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2012 at 15:52
Interesting, a nice bit of acoustic folkie stuff and some tastier jams....from a brief listen I'd say this is going to fall under an art rock or folk category....my suggestion is to wait until they have an official release that is out.  Once we see a track list we will know how many of the samples actually are from the release, and can make a determination on whether it's enough or if we need to obtain the album first.  I'm not comfortable doing a formal eval based on what is presented here. 

Let's hold this open until we see what transpires with the actual release.  Thanks all.

white_antelope View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 09:06
Here's the full streaming of new Camelias Garden album, You Have a Chance, to be release tomorrow under AltrOck and Fading Records:

https://soundcloud.com/camelias-garden
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 09:08
^ Fantastic! Clap
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 11:45
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

^ Fantastic! Clap

Seconded! Thumbs Up
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 15:05
http://soundcloud.com/camelias-garden

Camelias' Garden are a very young band from Rome born around the singer and poly-instrumentalist Valerio Smordoni. Their music features lyrical atmospheres and particularly elegant vocal arrangements. The sound, between acoustic and vintage, reminds the great progressive rock from the past (Genesis, Yes), Folk-prog and Italian bands like Acqua Fragile and Celeste. The debut album will be released by Fading Records March 20th 2013. (from Btf/Ams)

Lovely mix of symphonic, folk and singer-songwriter. Will ask the Prog Folk team to have a listen.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 15:22
And for those who prefer bandcamp to soundcloud: http://cameliasgarden.bandcamp.com/ Tongue
YoshiPK View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 04:11
Embarrassed I'm pretty sure that these guys deserve great attention in the current prog scene in Japan, watching the success of Moon Safari. The English lyrics are very nice, and what's more, the Genesis-like atmosphere is very comfortable to listen to. Genesis in their youth  <--- that's my impression.
This band could represent the new waves of the young RPI scene, in the sense that the English lyrics are becoming excellent, and could be considered as bright futured as Former Life.

A nice listen for spring-summer seasons!
Japanese blogger, mainly Italian Prog.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 22:55
Just finished listening to this.  Wow, wow, wow!  Great stuff!  I don't think RPI is the right category, though.  Prog folk or Crossover.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 16:24

These guys have been added to Prog Folk.  Thanks for the recommendation!

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 14:54
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

http://soundcloud.com/camelias-garden

Camelias' Garden are a very young band from Rome born around the singer and poly-instrumentalist Valerio Smordoni. Their music features lyrical atmospheres and particularly elegant vocal arrangements. The sound, between acoustic and vintage, reminds the great progressive rock from the past (Genesis, Yes), Folk-prog and Italian bands like Acqua Fragile and Celeste. The debut album will be released by Fading Records March 20th 2013. (from Btf/Ams)

Lovely mix of symphonic, folk and singer-songwriter. Will ask the Prog Folk team to have a listen.

Great album indeed!  I love it     Smile
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 14:58

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I'm confused! Confused

The stark difference between 'A Useless Faith' and the rest of the samples for this band made me load the video on YouTube itself for further info...and there's none (It is also embedded in the middle of the band's reverbnation page, again with no info, and when you click the 'All Videos' button there is nothing actually displayed there for Camelias Garden...) Ermm
When I say no info, I mean no info! There are no tags, no 'likes' or 'dislikes', no comments, and no description other than "The video identified with the URL {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LLF7ZwShQo} has a soundtrack under license of Creative Commons" . Stated category is simply 'music', and we have the the obligatory 'standard YouTube licence'. There is nothing to say where this video originated, and who is actually perfoming it. I can't find anything to suggest it is to be included on the forthcoming album, & I can't hear anything that sounds remotely like it in the AltrOck/Fading Records medley for this release on bandcamp.

However, it was uploaded by user http://www.youtube.com/user/oirelav8891, 'Valerio's Wondrous World', and he has 25 vids in all - some of which are superb tributes he has put together based on material by well known bands (King Crimson, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree etc.), and it also it turns out that the keyboard player and vocalist of Camelias Garden is named Valerio Smordoni (first name coincidence? - I doubt it!), and we already know from the reverbnation bio that Camelias' Garden was born as a one-man project...What's more the Camelias Garden live vids he has uploaded are 3 months old whereas 'A Useless Faith' is 2 years old, and he has other similar sorts of rather excellent vids, of similar age, which he has apparently created himself (he seems to be a very talented multi-instrumentalist, who also excels on the production side of things too), so I have a feeling that this video/song is actually nothing to do whatsoever with the current Camelias Garden project, but simply a bit of wonderful personal indulgence by the very gifted keyboard player around which the band is based.

What a shame eh?

However he has uploaded this:

Which is great, and definitely IS Camelias Garden!!  Tongue  So enjoy!!  Big smile

And check out Valerio's Wondrous World too...there's one or two surprises on there for sure!!  Approve

Awesome tracks!  Smile
brown_antelope View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 10:59
Hello there, you can find here a new song included in Camelias Garden upcoming album 'Kite'!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 05:21
Hi!
you can find HERE the second preview from Camelias Garden's upcoming album, 'Kite'!
Enjoy!!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 06:08

CAMELIAS GARDEN’S NEW ALBUM KITE IS OUT NOW!

BUY: https://cameliasgarden.bandcamp.com/album/kite
LISTEN: http://www.deezer.com/album/10247332

ENJOY!!

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 07:10
Hmm, I'm enjoying the new album Kite (although not as much as the previous) but I seem to be detecting some use of autotune here and there. Or is it just me?
 Post Reply Post Reply