Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDarnakes (Greece) for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darnakes (Greece) for Prog Folk
    Posted: September 13 2012 at 08:40
http://darnakes.bandcamp.com/album/libra

Edited by Svetonio - September 13 2012 at 09:37
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 12:00

Darnakes is a greek band formed in Thessaloniki in March, 2002.

In the year 2002 some guys were called to join a "two brothers" group that used to play Greek traditional music.
Ever since some members were added, some members were changed and Darnakes after passing through a big variety of styles, ended up playing Balkan Gypsy Post enhanced with a small essence of punk.

12 members, 20 instruments, 53 strings, 3 horns, 6 singing throats, 1 gypsy queen, 1 console and a rented van. With this line-up and before recording their first CD, Darnakes toured excessively throughout Northern Greece and many other great places. Darnakes think of their music as a "power greek-speaking ethnic" or a "balkan post-gypsy punk". Ultimate goal of the band is the destruction of modern Greek music and evolving balkan punk into a religion. Last but not least, Darnakes will play for free, for any good cause (as long as the money is good...)

DARNAKES: "A tribe of Serres (north Greece) with great tradition in singing and dancing", or "a tropical parrot found in Tzimputi", or "kamasutra position that helps you became tantra" or "J.A.F.N".

In September of 2005 they released their first CD called “Virgo” under the label of “ANO KATO” records. Their second CD "Libra" was released in July of 2010.

Their playlist consists of their own compositions, as well as cover songs from diverse artists and genres such as Goran Bregovic, Manu Chao, greek traditional songs, rempetika, balkan and mediterrenean music, the Clash and many more.

Their live shows have caused a great sensation either playing in venues all over Greece or in major greek summer festivals (Thessaloniki, Athens, Serres, Naoussa, Katerini, Goumenissa, Trikala, Ioannina, Alexandroupoli, Allonisos, Ardas summer festival, Earth Festival in Vlasti, Armenistis Camp (Halkidiki), Ljubliana, Amsterdam, Budapest etc).

A highlight moment for the band was the participation as a support band for the Goran Bregovic concert in Preveza, in August 2006.

Discogrpahy:
Virgo (ANO KATO records 2005).
Libra (ANO KATO records 2010).

As well as bandcamp we have:

Line up:
- Alex Panagopoulos: (darbuk, doumberlek, bongos and other percussion)
- Fotis Dousos: (vocals, acoustic guitar, lute)
- Lefteris Moutsinas (electric guitar, backing vocals)
- Lina Sopiadou: (vocals)
- Pavlos Metsios: (trumpet, backing vocals)
- Yiannis Arjoglou: (electric and double bass, backing Vocals)
- Yiannis Poulios: (acoustic guitar, lute)
- Yiorgos Agelakis: (trombone, accordion, backing vocals)
- Yiorgos Dousos: (flute, clarinet, bagpipe)
- Yiorgos Panagopoulos: (drums)
- Paris Fragkos: (sound technician)
- Othonas Kokkinos: (sound technician)

Special Partners:
- Spyros Theodoridis: electric. guitar,
- Stelios "Kafouroutsos" Hatzikyriakides: drums
- Dimitris Tselios: saxophone

Not sure about Prog Folk...or even if it's prog at all...maybe an outside possibility in Eclectic perhaps? Ermm
Despite this reservation - it's excellent music!  Cool

Edited by yam yam - September 13 2012 at 12:24
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 13:03
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

/.../ Last but not least, Darnakes will play for free, for any good cause (as long as the money is good...)

/.../

Their live shows have caused a great sensation either playing in venues all over Greece or in major greek summer festivals (Thessaloniki, Athens, Serres, Naoussa, Katerini, Goumenissa, Trikala, Ioannina, Alexandroupoli, Allonisos, Ardas summer festival, Earth Festival in Vlasti, Armenistis Camp (Halkidiki), Ljubliana, Amsterdam, Budapest etc).

/.../

"12 members, 20 instruments, 53 strings, 6 singing throaths, 1 gypsy queen, 1 console and a rented van" 

Splendid Star

12 resembles a medieval hippies, wandering musicians who visited the Manor estate Cool

Edited by Svetonio - September 13 2012 at 13:26
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 14:41
Certainly enough here for me to ask Prog Folk team to evaluate.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2012 at 07:27
It was the fairly marked contrast stylistically between the two albums that I found difficult to come to terms with here. The earlier album (Virgo, 2005) I didn't really hear as prog at all (very pleasant listening though it is), whilst the second one (Libra, 2010) on balance almost certainly is. However, this second album has some quite heavy instrumentation on several of the songs, even approaching metal at times, and I couldn't really equate parts of it to Prog Folk. The band must have gone through quite an evolution over the five intervening years, and because of their wide range of influences and styles (especially on the second album), I thought Eclectic was the most likely place for them, should they be accepted.

Evaluating some of the music that gets presented on here certainly ain't easy! - Maybe it's best if I just restrict myself to adding factual information in these threads, and leave attempting to interpret it to someone who understands these matters a whole lot better than I do! Embarrassed
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2012 at 04:16

/.../ 
Evaluating some of the music that gets presented on here certainly ain't easy! - Maybe it's best if I just restrict myself to adding factual information in these threads, and leave attempting to interpret it to someone who understands these matters a whole lot better than I do! Embarrassed
Yam Yam, your factual information is always welcomed, and you know that.

Edited by Svetonio - September 16 2012 at 04:17
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2012 at 05:15
LOL! Thanks Svetonio! Smile Yes, the factual info I dig up for this forum is quite widely appreciated by many on here - I get plenty of positive feedback from other members, which gives me the encouragement to carry on doing it. I'm not quite so good at interpreting the actual music though. Sub genres are a bit of a minefield for me - I have a shot at picking the most suitable one more often than not, but I don't always get it right!  Embarrassed
We are all learning as we listen to more and more music of what seems to be an increasingly diverse range of styles, and the excellent bands you are finding and suggesting on here are certainly helping with that process. Clap

Keep on proggin', my friend!!  Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - September 16 2012 at 05:16
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2012 at 05:41

/.../ Sub genres are a bit of a minefield for me - I have a shot at picking the most suitable one more often than not, but I don't always get it right!  Embarrassed
    /.../
Nobody is that superhuman that will not make a mistake about subgenres LOL
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 16:55
Darnakes have been added.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member