Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBernard Benoit (France): Is this Prog Folk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bernard Benoit (France): Is this Prog Folk?
    Posted: April 17 2014 at 20:34
LOL! Dug up this old thread whilst searching for Benoit David, and was curious to see how it panned out.

Well, I'm happy to report that Bernard Benoit can indeed be found at http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7673. Thumbs Up
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 12:17
You know what David, I actually think there's a lot of interesting stuff here besides the overt folk music. There's all kinds of different medieval sprinklings and the odd symphonic whiff - even if that's done without the use of drums. I mean we already have a band like Malicorne up in this mother, so I guess this one should have a fair chanceSmile
I'm throwing it by the folk lads.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2012 at 13:40
Well it's certainly some very beautiful and skillfully played Celtic inspired guitar work. Rateyourmusic state the sub genre as 'Breton Celtic Folk Music': http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/bernard_benoit, but I don't know if that has anything to do with Prog Folk 'progarchives style'.  Ermm

From www.gwerz.com/artistes/biographies/benoit.htm (google-translated from French):

Guitarist Bernard Benoit (classical guitar, acoustic guitar 12 strings, harp and dulcimer) will soon celebrate thirty-years of performing. In 1972 he published his first album, Guitar Celtic (on the Kelenn label).
The discography of Bernard Benoit is vast. It presents Celtic-inspired compositions, traditional tunes from Brittany, and  also folk, trad and even New Age. Some of his compositions are the subject of recordings by other musicians such as Anne Chaurand (Celtia Guitar).
Bernard Benoit released between 1975 and 1992 five albums: Lutunn Noz on the Arion label, Rigéna (Polydor), Prelude Englouti (Velia), Bernard Benoit (on MA), Marine  (FR3 Rennes Productions). In 1995, he recorded Pluriel Barzaz Breiz. The disc has a few major themes of the work of Theodore of Villemarqué. Then, the following year, it was alongside Christophe Caron (who plays the bombard) that he recorded the album 'Guitare et Bombarde' (Sony Griffe).
Bernard Benoit has also for many years worked with the Breton singer Glenmor and participated in tours and recordings of the latter.

Have a listen anyway...This is really beautiful stuff:

Lutunn Noz 1975, (full album):

From Rigéna (1978):

From Prelude Englouti (1981):

And from his very first album 'Guitare Celtique' (1973)

More stuff on his Youtube channel too: http://www.youtube.com/user/BernardBenoit

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply