Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Big Train Appreciation
    Posted: April 19 2020 at 09:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The magic of English Electric One is the number of hooks in it. This is definitely the best gateway prog album I've ever heard. In terms of originality it scores very low though an I gave it a slightly snotty review after first hearing but now I love it and can't stop playing the Stone and Steel DVD especially. I don't play the Underfall Yard that much although Master James Of St George is certainly one of their very best tracks.

Indeed, I guess it's exactly that hooks thing that makes me love it so much. And I do prefer hooks (or beautiful melodies) over originality, so that makes it great for me.

I`ve only over the last few years started listening to Big Big Trian a friend loaned me the albums 
"The Difference Machine/The Underfall Yard." and wow realised I was missing out  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 15:59
Been a fan since listening to Underfall Yard a few years ago and they keep amazing me with every new album -  this last Grand Tour is specially growing on me like I wasn't expecting, what a fabulous work of art ... AGAIN ... well done boys (and girl) !!!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 15:48
I'm new to BBT, first I heard of them was English Electric Part One (2012) but what an album. They are a superb band with outstanding musicians and great songs. However, albums are inconsistent i.e., some great some not so great. But hell, no band can reach perfection every time.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 14:47
From The Underfall Yard to Grand Tour, BBT has been on an epic tear. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 13:16
Listening to some English Electric songs last week, I just couldn't help wishing Steve Hackett would do another Genesis Revisited concert featuring Big Big Train. They just sound like they would be a perfect match for playing Genesis music.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 05:31
I was hooked by Underfall.  Still I got into everything that came before and like everything after.  I think that Longdon has carried on the prog legacy that Collins left behind.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 13:21

The magic of English Electric One is the number of hooks in it. This is definitely the best gateway prog album I've ever heard. In terms of originality it scores very low though an I gave it a slightly snotty review after first hearing but now I love it and can't stop playing the Stone and Steel DVD especially. I don't play the Underfall Yard that much although Master James Of St George is certainly one of their very best tracks.

Indeed, I guess it's exactly that hooks thing that makes me love it so much. And I do prefer hooks (or beautiful melodies) over originality, so that makes it great for me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 00:11
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 16:44
^ Actually, I got into them, sort of, because of the great reviews for English Electric, so I got the Full Power combo, and really loved it. As it is, I got their next albums (except the very last, at least for the moment), and then The Underfall Yard... however, neither of them has impressed me as English Electric did (specially the part 1 songs, it seems).
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 05:07
I love their post-English Electric albums, but I still find The Underfall Yard unsurpassed.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 00:13
The Second Brightest Star is also one of their very best along with English Electric Part One (IMO)
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 08:40
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

While being a superb album Grand Tour is not their best  IMO -  but the song Ariel is an absolute delight (14 full minutes of it)

Click HERE to listen and fall in love.
My thoughts entirely.

It's a bit of a shame that everything will be judged against The Underfall Yard and English Electric - everything since then has been excellent but not as good as those 2 (which would be nigh on impossible).

Edited by Duke of Rother - November 27 2019 at 08:51
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 10:56
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I really wanna go to Rosfest!!! BBT, Pattern-Seeking Animal's first gig, Cast, The Tea Club, UPF, Lobate Scarp...

Excellent lineup!!! And sunny Sarasota too.
The Tea Club is my current music obsession. 

It's funny because re-listening to the previous four has somehow increased my appreciation of their newest. 
-John
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2019 at 13:15
I really wanna go to Rosfest!!! BBT, Pattern-Seeking Animal's first gig, Cast, The Tea Club, UPF, Lobate Scarp...

Excellent lineup!!! And sunny Sarasota too.
pussywillow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pussywillow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 07:01

Originally posted by pussywillow pussywillow wrote:

Got my ticket for the Newport gig on 1 November. Can't wait!

and me ! Also happens that it's my wife's home town. They do a disabled scheme so my wife gets in free as my carer. Great stuff.

Nice! I used to know Newport well as I was at the college in Al-Ty-Ryn (almost certainly spelt that wrong) back in the eighties. Hopefully it's changed a bit since I was there!

It hasn't. It's still a dump.
PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 03:44
Originally posted by pussywillow pussywillow wrote:

and me ! Also happens that it's my wife's home town. They do a disabled scheme so my wife gets in free as my carer. Great stuff.

Nice! I used to know Newport well as I was at the college in Al-Ty-Ryn (almost certainly spelt that wrong) back in the eighties. Hopefully it's changed a bit since I was there!
pussywillow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pussywillow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 12:33

PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 08:12
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Really hoping for some US dates in 2020!!!

Grand Tour is my Album Of The Year (so far).  

The first time I heard it I was walking on Yorke beach basically alone while the sun was setting, the song “alive” was playing. What an amazing experience

The best moments in life are defined by a soundtrack.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 00:03
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I got my ticket for Newcastle on 26th October Big smile

Will be flying from Barcelona just to see them.

Sounds wonderful. I hope you get a chance to go round the city when you are there. When of the best UK cities for culture and architecture as well as a great night life. Have fun!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 08:47

Really hoping for some US dates in 2020!!!

Grand Tour is my Album Of The Year (so far).  

The first time I heard it I was walking on Yorke beach basically alone while the sun was setting, the song “alive” was playing. What an amazing experience
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>