Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Quote View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 23:12
1. Hedgerow
2. Curator of Butterflies
3. East Coast Racer
4. The Wide Open Sea
5. The Underfall Yard

First 3 are pretty much on the same level.
TrickedTail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrickedTail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 10:16
I've listened through both parts one and two several times now. Probably at least 15 times.

I honestly think that they rate as high as anything that Genesis or Yes ever did. I can find no fault with these albums. They're just superb. It's a shame, but I doubt BBT will ever get the thorough recognition they deserve.

Edited by TrickedTail - May 04 2013 at 10:19
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 05:06
Thanks for turning me back onto BBT.
I bought Difference Machine a couple of years ago, but still cant get into it, despite repeated plays.
After reading this thread, I played the Youtube clips of English Electric, and found them much more to my taste. If it hadn't been for this thread I'd have ignored them totally.
Cheers! Smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 15:35
Part Two of English Electric arrived Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to listen until today.

It really is quite lush, pastoral, and utterly beautiful.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 11:49
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by john-westover john-westover wrote:

this band came out of nowhere for me until i saw everyone raving english electric comparing them to genesis has became one my new fave bands i heard there older stuff is not quite good they recently got this new singer they got now
Some punctuation would make this easier to read.

It needs more  than punctuation.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 11:47
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

That's the way I see it. David Longdon has taken everything up several notches.

The earlier albums are decent enough, and always interesting, but nothing special.
I like a lot of the stuff with Filkins, but when Longdon sings "The sea is my blood." I feel it. 

I think his vocal performance on Wide Open Sea off of the EP is what makes it my remaining BBT favorite. And he makes me think that there was something important about Master James of St. George building "castles of stone, steel and blood".

But then a little less bloody good is his grim performance on A Boy in Darkness
-John
mohaveman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 10:40
Greetings from Arizona.

I have really enjoyed both parts of ENGLISH ECCENTRIC but have yet to explore their older work. Looking forward to doing so, starting with THE UNDERFALL YARD, I think.

Cheers!
And it's only the giving that makes you...what you are".
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 06:24
Originally posted by john-westover john-westover wrote:

this band came out of nowhere for me until i saw everyone raving english electric comparing them to genesis has became one my new fave bands i heard there older stuff is not quite good they recently got this new singer they got now
Some punctuation would make this easier to read.
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 17:06
That's the way I see it. David Longdon has taken everything up several notches.

The earlier albums are decent enough, and always interesting, but nothing special.
john-westover View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john-westover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:49
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 10:17
Part Two arrived in the mail yesterday.  Looking forward to giving that one a spin sometime today.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 08:56
Ping
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:06
Originally posted by Mr. Mustard Mr. Mustard wrote:

Hmm, choosing a top 5 is downright hard, and it will probably change in a week.

1. East Coast Racer
2. Summoned By Bells
3. Hedgerow
4.The First Rebreather
5. Victorian Brickwork

Thank you for your help.Smile
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 22:51
Hmm, choosing a top 5 is downright hard, and it will probably change in a week.

1. East Coast Racer
2. Summoned By Bells
3. Hedgerow
4.The First Rebreather
5. Victorian Brickwork
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:49
It can't be expected to have the same impact on everyone of course.

I don't think too much about influences and originality, to me they are an irrelevance. And I couldn't give any coherent review or analysis of why but at its most basic level it's just a gorgeous beautiful noise that fits my tastes like a glove.

And that's as good as it gets.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:35
I only started listening to Big Big Train  (and do they need 2 Bigs in their name btw...Wink)  about a year  or so ago and I  like the new cd , but. are people overrating it a bit? It's very pleasant but at times maybe a bit too mellow and it sounds a lot like Collins era Genesis especially Wind and Wuthering to me. That's not a bad thing but it really doesn't serve up anything we haven't heard before. They do do it well....but.........?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 11:47
It's a good album all in all. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:23
I don't know if this would interest you or not Ian, but the songs from their album Goodbye to the Age of Steam can be downloaded for free on their Reverbnation page.  http://www.reverbnation.com/bigbigtrain#!/bigbigtrain/songs
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:19
^thank you. I  am compiling a list to see the top tracks (option 6 will not be includedWink).

Edited by Snow Dog - March 29 2013 at 09:21
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 08:39
1. Wide Open Sea -- my current unequivocal favorite, the rest can bounce around quite a bit. 

2. Evening Star -- the horns and that "Entangled feel" -- and whichever of the band said it: "There ought to be more horns in prog".

3. Underfall Yard -- their reigning masterpiece

4. East Coast Racer -- good new stuff

5. Perfect Cosmic Storm -- they're not a "Genesis copy"...

6. The First Rebreather -- ditto #4, excited from the Youtube premiere.

-John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>