Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 08:43
Really hoping for some US dates in 2020!!!

Grand Tour is my Album Of The Year (so far).  
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 01:58
I got my ticket for Newcastle on 26th October Big smile

Will be flying from Barcelona just to see them.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 23:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

World tour was my introduction to the band, what a stunning album, my album of the year as of now. I also love English electric 1

Do you mean grand tour?

Oops! Yes my bad
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 23:46
Got my ticket for the Newport gig on 1 November. Can't wait!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 23:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

World tour was my introduction to the band, what a stunning album, my album of the year as of now. I also love English electric 1

Do you mean grand tour?

Or a forthcoming live album? Tongue
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 20:53

Do you mean grand tour?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 19:53
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 15:37
While being a superb album Grand Tour is not their best  IMO -  but the song Ariel is an absolute delight (14 full minutes of it)

Click HERE to listen and fall in love.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 01:01
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

I enjoyed the Anvil gig (of course) but for me the sound wasn’t great.

I love watching and listening to NDV but the drums were too loud, drowning out most of the subtleties that BBT are so good at. There is no point having 13 instruments in the mix and allowing the drums to totally dominate.

And David Longdonks voice was a little muffled much of the time. I couldn’t actually understand what he was saying between tracks.

(Longdonk....!! Great typo, I’ll Leave it there!)

I made my comments on the ultra positive (worshipful?) Facebook group in a very supportive and respectful manner (as did a number of others) and incurred Mrs NDV’s displeasure!

Sounds like they absolutely killed it at Loreley, which will do them no harm at all.

Nearly all live gigs I've been to are like this to be honest. I'm not sure you will ever get anything like the clarity you would really like but I thought it was all reasonably clear (for a live gig) and I could hear the killer organ riff in Folklore so all good for meSmile
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 13:19
There was a sparkling review of The Anvil concert in The Times as well.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 13:10
Really nice to see a national paper giving the band a boost. Looking forward to it dropping through the letterbox the next day or so!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 07:34
Thought you’d all love to see a nice review in the Daily Express of the new live album from Big Big Train.

Big Big Train.

Merchants of Light.

(English Electric).

***** 5 Stars.

To convert the age-old adage 'a picture is worth a thousand words' to audio sums up this remarkable record release by Big Big Train. It smartly narrates itself as it sinks deep into the listener's psyche.

Intriguing song titles: A Mead Hall In Winter, Experimental Gentlemen, The Transit Of Venus Across The Sun, Telling The Bees and Victorian Brickwork is accompanied by an exquisite blend of melodious English folk prog sounds.

However, it's the superior musicianship splicing the whole show together that wins out.

Just listening to the supercharged sound of a group of musicians hitting their stride and showing their class, as brass blends with string instruments, on A Mead Hall In Winter is a thrilling ride alone.

Singer David Longdon brings a Gabriel style rasp to his vocals harking back to early Genesis, especially when joined by mellotron sounds and Greg Spawton's bass pedals. All of which reinforces BBT's unique approach to incorporating their impeccable musical influences to create their own distinctive sound.

This rare live outing recorded last year at The Cadogan Hall, London, reveals a band breezing full steam ahead on these hot polished tracks.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 16:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nice first post and welcome!
Thumbs Up

I'd like to second those comments! BBT are rather special nowadays in my musical landscape and often I can't explain why. A track like 'The Permanent Way" just has that mix of soaring prog instrumentation, wistful lyrics, a feel for an England that maybe never existed and a warmth that hopefully younger people than this 50-something can also appreciate. Music can take you into another realm, and BBT amongst many others seem to achieve that very well. Welcome and all the best for the explorations to come!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 13:37
I enjoyed the Anvil gig (of course) but for me the sound wasn’t great.

I love watching and listening to NDV but the drums were too loud, drowning out most of the subtleties that BBT are so good at. There is no point having 13 instruments in the mix and allowing the drums to totally dominate.

And David Longdonks voice was a little muffled much of the time. I couldn’t actually understand what he was saying between tracks.

(Longdonk....!! Great typo, I’ll Leave it there!)

I made my comments on the ultra positive (worshipful?) Facebook group in a very supportive and respectful manner (as did a number of others) and incurred Mrs NDV’s displeasure!

Sounds like they absolutely killed it at Loreley, which will do them no harm at all.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 01:56
Nice first post and welcome!
Thumbs Up
BeardFisher-King View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeardFisher-King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 09:50
Hi, folks! I'm new to the PA Forum. I thought I'd share my great appreciation for BBT. I found out about BBT through PROG magazine a number of years ago, and finally got around to listening to their recordings very recently. I started with the English Electric CDs.

If I had to summarize the BBT appeal in one phrase, I would say that they are real people playing real music about real things. There's an emotional honesty conveyed by their songs that I can only compare to those of the band Renaissance. In particular, "East Coast Racer" and "Curator Of Butterflies" are unbelievably moving songs.

Cheers to all BBT fans!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 23:20
Great gig last night at Basingstoke. Nice selection of tracks across several albums including Judas Unrepentant , The First Rebreather and East Coast Racer (from EE Pt1) and massive encore of Wassail. Nick you are a legend but all the guys were brilliant. Can't fault anything. Thank You.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 23:54
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

^ Welcome back to the top tier! It's going to be an exciting season for your lads.

cheers, hopefully we can ruffle a few feathers
Smile
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 08:43
But will they ever play the US?
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 00:08
^ Welcome back to the top tier! It's going to be an exciting season for your lads.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>