Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 05:16
Big Big Train - Folklore

Released yesterday. Bloody wonderful.

Here's a review from someone for whom the band is not a natural "fit" but completely bowled over. Says it all really.

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/big-big-train-folklore-album-review/

Edited by Duke of Rother - May 28 2016 at 05:16
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 09:22
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

From Stone and Steel is one of the best live releases ever. Most songs are improved. A masterpiece on par with EE1.

My only "complaint" is the performances are almost TOO clean and similar to the studio. It would have been nice if they took the opportunity to take some liberties. But Wind Distorted Pioneers is amazing. Goodbye to the Age of Steam is one of my favorite albums, and this live version is far superior.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 09:35
From Stone and Steel is one of the best live releases ever. Most songs are improved. A masterpiece on par with EE1.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 07:43
Really nice DVD, an absolute pleasure to watch and listen to. Also the drum cam bonus feature for Nick is superb. MORE of that please!
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 14:55
Since stumbling across the song Uncle Jack on another PA thread, BBT have finally clicked with me. Admittedly, they've been one of those bands I've been meaning to give a go for a while, but it's great to have something to latch onto. EE is definitely on my album wishlist now.

I absolutely love the new Folklore track as well. Looks like May 27th is a great day for prog releases, with this album and the new Frost* one.
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 05:22
Can't wait for this one Smile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 05:07
Big Big Train's new studio album has a release date of 27th May.

This is the promo video for the title track, Folklore.

A little folkier and a little heavier - and just marvellous.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 15:07

ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebil0505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 17:34
Been listening to The Underfall Yard album lately. It's delectable as hell.
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 20:16
^ Excellent rendition. Thanks!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 12:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

English Electric, Part 1 is the album for me. Amazing. "Judas Unrepentant" with its addictive refrain (not to mention a superb lyrical retelling of an actual story), and "A Boy in Darkness"  that is both vocally and musically intense -- one of the best ten albums of the last 10 years.

Reckon you might like this then - Judas Unrepentant live...

Edited by Duke of Rother - December 09 2015 at 12:47
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 17:34
English Electric, Part 1 is the album for me. Amazing. "Judas Unrepentant" with its addictive refrain (not to mention a superb lyrical retelling of an actual story), and "A Boy in Darkness"  that is both vocally and musically intense -- one of the best ten albums of the last 10 years.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 13:06
This message was posted by Greg Spawton on the band's Facebook Group page....

Some Frequently Asked Questions (updated on 18th October)

We thought it would be helpful to post a single thread with some FAQ's for people to refer to. Initially, we'll aim to provide info on forthcoming plans for the band. We'll update this info when there is more news. If there are further questions for BBT, please add them in comments below.

Stone and Steel

This will be a DVD, Blu-Ray release and high-definition download release. It will consist of live-in-the studio performances of a number of songs plus some documentary footage and film of three or four live songs from the Kings Place gigs. Bonus material will be available online and may include interviews and drum-cam footage. Expected release date is December 2015.

Folklore

This is the next studio album and will be released in June 2016. It will be a single CD and download plus double vinyl release.

Station Masters

This is a three-CD collection of music which is intended to provide an overview of Big Big Train music. Older songs will be re-recorded by the current line-up and there will be some previously unreleased material. The aim is to get this finished and released in 2017.

Concept album

Sometimes referred to as 'the big big thing' we have been working on a concept album for quite some time and we hope to get the story fully together in the next few months. A lot of music has already been composed and some has been recorded so it is a work which is well in progress. Likely to be a 2017 or 2018 release.

Gigs

We will be playing more gigs, but not until 2017. In the meantime, we may do the odd acoustic performance (the first such performance being in Cumbria on October 24th.)

Live album

All of the Kings Place gigs were recorded on multi-track and we will aim to release a live album from the shows in late 2016. Video footage of two songs with mixed audio will be made available for free viewing online before Christmas 2015. Video footage of other songs will be available for sale (at an affordable price) on Vimeo at some stage in 2016.

Edited by Duke of Rother - October 20 2015 at 13:07
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 10:39
Yeah, that's a big WOW from me tooClap

Does anyone know if (or hopefully when) a DVD of this performance might be coming out?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 13:14
I was there on the Saturday - seeing that brings it all back.

I had to brush a tear away just now. The last few minutes of that song / performance is just breathtaking.

Wow.
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 09:20
The band posted a fantastic video of Victorian Brickwork, live performed in London in august, on youtube:

Edited by Soul Dreamer - September 25 2015 at 09:26
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 07:06
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

Interesting.

What elements do you hear that are reminiscent of / influenced by ELP? (I've not heard that observation before.)

some of the keyboard solos are very obviously ELP influenced to my ears. I like BBT a lot but this is the first time I've thought ''ELP'' when listening to them ( ELP are my favourite band btw)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 00:37
...things...
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 00:36
I posted up about Station Masters a couple of years ago when it was reportedly slated for release this year.

They've had a lot of Inge ticking along since then so will forgive the delay!

No more full band live shows until 2017 earliest but they may do some accoustic sets - that'd be good!

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 18:31
^Yes, I've heard they've gone folk prog! This should be good!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>