Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:29
Stunning, brilliant, and English to its very core. Very favourable review will follow in the next couple of weeks.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 01:29

Should drop onto my mat in the next few days (possibly today). Hopefully it will live up to the hype.

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 04:48
Listened to English Electric Part One three times last week on Progstreaming and... didn't get it. I mean, it's a solid album, good music but... Best of the year? Not for me. Also, 14th best prog album EVER?? Surely this is momentary hype that will soon fade away - unless I'm really missing something, in which case, please let me know. 
Bigger on the inside.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 05:00
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Listened to English Electric Part One three times last week on Progstreaming and... didn't get it. I mean, it's a solid album, good music but... Best of the year? Not for me. Also, 14th best prog album EVER?? Surely this is momentary hype that will soon fade away - unless I'm really missing something, in which case, please let me know. 

I think this album is a quite a biggie: one of the (at least) two 5-star albums this year has seen until now (the other is echolyn's self-titled album). I'd say English Electric Part One is the 2010's equivalent to Selling England by the Pound. I would not be surprised if this album will keep its high ranking, though I agree that the fanboys are usually the most eager to review or rate an album.

Edited by someone_else - November 06 2012 at 05:14
Lord Jagged View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Jagged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 04:31
I was rather sceptical to begin with - but the album is indeed excellent. I should imagine it helps to be English to catch all the references and idioms though.
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ytse_Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 05:06
EE pt1 is a good album, I loved it. Their other stuff left me a bit bored, though...
Topjukes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topjukes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I think this album is a quite a biggie: one of the (at least) two 5-star albums this year has seen until now (the other is echolyn's self-titled album). I'd say English Electric Part One is the 2010's equivalent to Selling England by the Pound. I would not be surprised if this album will keep its high ranking, though I agree that the fanboys are usually the most eager to review or rate an album.

Well, thanks from a grateful record label! Plane Groovy have been thrilled to have the opportunity to put both of these albums out on vinyl and for me they both get better with every listen.
www.planegroovy.com - for the music you always wanted to hear on vinyl!
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 20:21
I still haven't heard English Electric... probably should do that soon. I really love the Underfall Yard, so I'm looking forward to exploring this band's discography.
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 20:59
Just got English Electric a week ago and man is it good. Cool mix of Genesis, PFM and maybe KC, but totally unique. Not to mention they used just about every instrument I can think of.
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbownut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 15:05
Excellent music. Great songs, melodies, musicianship and lyrics.

Having being brought up in Dorset, I can also relate to some of the places mentioned such as Upton heath .
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote menawati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 15:09
I was really underwhelmed by English Electric at first. Maybe the hype on here got to me and I expected too much. But after many listens I now love it.
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 16:24
I got into the band with The Underfall Yard because it was promoted here primarily. I had some money to spare at that time so I went on a catalog raid. I like everything I picked up and they have turned into one of my most get the new release asap bands. I may not have totally put my finger on what appeals to me. The embracing and refining of older form of prog perhaps...
Progirl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 16:01
I too love BBT. In my usual way, I randomly discovered English Electric Part One,via the prograchives top albums, listened to it. loved it; then within about week invested in Underfall  Yard, From the River to the Sea. And I've now moved on to the pre-David Longdon albums. I love this band, I'm not an old Genesis fan, though did see Gabriel in the early 80s. But I just love BBT, I love their mixture of Englishness, nostalgia, storytelling, as well as clever recycling of old prog and rock/indie from (yes) Genesis to Prefab Sprout to Kate Bush. A wonderful band, can't wait till English Electric Part 2, and I would love to see them play live.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 09:47

After about 5 listens I'm still not sure how good it is. The opening track is a gem but there seems to be a lot that is a bit ho hum. The end bit is genius but I'm not feeling as enchanted by it as others seem to be. Not bad though.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 08:50
I'm loving EE Pt1 and certainly find it to be the most rewarding listen this year alongside Echolyn's latest.

Much like British Racing Green from their previous mini album 'Far Skies, Deep Time' the song Uncle Jack is a total earworm and the way they weave the melodic vocal theme back into the final song Hedgrow, approaches near genius levels of arrangement skill in my opinion.

Talented b*****ds. Smile

Edited by sigod - November 22 2012 at 08:51
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 11:15
When listening to their most recent albums I can't but help think  if only Genesis had gone it this direction...  But that's OK guys, enjoy your commercial success, we have Big Big Train. Big smile

If you're on Facebook, be sure and join the Big Big Train group.  It's rather active.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 13:38
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

When listening to their most recent albums I can't but help think  if only Genesis had gone it this direction...  But that's OK guys, enjoy your commercial success, we have Big Big Train. Big smile

If you're on Facebook, be sure and join the Big Big Train group.  It's rather active.

I find room to love both, BrianSmile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2012 at 14:58
I haven't bothered to add any Genesis on CD post Abacab, which I like, even the oft reviled Whodunnit?.  Though I did get a cheap used copy of Calling All Stations, which is OK.

But for me Genesis really left a void when they went commercial although I was along for the ride for a while and have Invisible Touch and Shapes on LP. 

But particularly from Gathering Speed onward they have filled that void better than any neo-prog artists have been able to do.  Marillion came somewhat close for a while.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Maestro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 18:12
English Electric is a legitimate masterpiece and deserves every ounce of praise it's gotten.  But The Difference Machine is still my favorite.  I enjoyed the post-rock/VdGG influences more than the Genesis stuff, and I was a little disappointed that they changed their sound so much for The Underfall Yard.  Still a great album, though.
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 13:42
All the hype has gotten me to "star" English Electric on Spotify. Will check out today or tomorrow, hopefully.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>