Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 10:24
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Amazingly I heard Hedgerow played on Radio 2 yesterday! World domination next!
Wow, I'd been thinking that Uncle Jack would be good for a radio play as well.

EE1 has got into my brain now, absolutely wonderful stuff. Need to get EE2 now as well.
Dalex_61 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalex_61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 04:24
I simply can't say how much I like BBT's "English Electric" albums. There's a perfect balance between simplicity and refinement. A treat. Smile
My prog little place is here:
http://progrocklittleplace.blogspot.it/
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 05:03
I'm not sure how many times I've listened to English Electric Part One at this point.  To me, it is one of the most perfect albums (musically/programmatically speaking) I have ever witnessed, and I was hooked from the very first listen.  Last week I finally had the time to listen all the way through both Part One and Part Two (in 24-bit in my home studio Smile).  That was my first listen for Part Two, and I've had one more complete listen (on CD on my entertainment system) to just this second part, albeit in three smaller chunks as my schedule permitted.  After the first listen, unlike with Part One, I was a bit underwhelmed with two exceptions: "Worked Out" and "Leopards."  Since then, "We're working men, we follow the seam," and the string quartet intro to "Leopards" have been going 'round and 'round inside my head, much to my delight.  That was what pushed me to listen a second time, even though I didn't have the time to do it in one sitting as is my preference when becoming acquainted with an album.  On the second listen, I noticed more of the details and found more to like about the other tracks that I had missed the first time around.  Clearly, this album is going to be a grower for me.  I'll enjoy it more and more as I have more time to absorb it.

So, obviously, I need to keep listening to Part Two!  I'll definitely give it another spin (albeit in MP3 on my iPod) during my travels this week.
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbownut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 07:40
Big Big Train got played on national BBC radio 2 again  this morning on Bob Harris Sunday.

The track played was Winchester from St Giles Hill ( EE pt1 )

Last week he played Uncle Jack ( from same album)

By the sounds of it, they have a new fan in "whispering" Bob !Thumbs Up

"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 08:19
Originally posted by elbownut elbownut wrote:

Big Big Train got played on national BBC radio 2 again  this morning on Bob Harris Sunday.

The track played was Winchester from St Giles Hill ( EE pt1 )

Last week he played Uncle Jack ( from same album)

By the sounds of it, they have a new fan in "whispering" Bob !Thumbs Up

This is rather special I think and a great boost for the band Wink

Have a listen here from around 1 hour & 6 minutes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r6npc

How amazing it is to hear this over the airwaves with some very nice words from whispering Bob Smile

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 17:18

I ordered EE Part Two from CD Baby.  They had it for a regular decent price.  Amazon only had it for import prices.  Looking forward to hearing it when it arrives.

sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 17:32
Love Big Big Train's music - I don't get the early Genesis comparrison though that many seem to hear. Aside from that the latest three BBT releases are at the top of my regular playlist and will stay there for a long while yet. Love Sean Filkins War and Peace and other short stories album as well.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 19:26
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Like most people, i started with the epic Underfall Yard album, and it blew me away. ...Then, i went to The Difference Machine because i liked the album's structure. I loved it even more than Underfall Yard.
I was actually thinking of starting a Difference Machine Appreciation "sub-thread". It seems that people think the brilliance started at Underfall Yard. I was floored by Machine a couple of years before Yard came out. 

I don't place them in the same order. I think Yard is superior to Machine. But just in the way that out of a string of albums of great quality you can still rank them first to last. Like a number of people, I think Gathering Speed is a self-description. 

One of my rare worded reviews on PA has the statement that I can't believe that one of the best practitioners of prog today is listed as "Crossover Prog". 

But Machine is an album where you can hear the most validation of Spawton's claim that he was more influenced by Van der Graaf than Genesis. Specially when Filkins screams "My Eyes!" Okay, he's no Hammill, but some of the effect is achieved. 
-John
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 05:42
What are the favourite Big Big Train "tracks"LOL can you guys name your top five?
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 05:48
East Coast Racer
Victorian Brickwork
Curator of Butterflies
The First Rebreather
Hedgerow

But it could easily be a whole bunch of others.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 05:49
^Thank you....and the very best? Can people give a number one favourite track too  please?

I will assume that itv was in order of preference.

Edited by Snow Dog - March 29 2013 at 05:55
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 08:39
1. Wide Open Sea -- my current unequivocal favorite, the rest can bounce around quite a bit. 

2. Evening Star -- the horns and that "Entangled feel" -- and whichever of the band said it: "There ought to be more horns in prog".

3. Underfall Yard -- their reigning masterpiece

4. East Coast Racer -- good new stuff

5. Perfect Cosmic Storm -- they're not a "Genesis copy"...

6. The First Rebreather -- ditto #4, excited from the Youtube premiere.

-John
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:19
^thank you. I  am compiling a list to see the top tracks (option 6 will not be includedWink).

Edited by Snow Dog - March 29 2013 at 09:21
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 09:23
I don't know if this would interest you or not Ian, but the songs from their album Goodbye to the Age of Steam can be downloaded for free on their Reverbnation page.  http://www.reverbnation.com/bigbigtrain#!/bigbigtrain/songs
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 11:47
It's a good album all in all. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:35
I only started listening to Big Big Train  (and do they need 2 Bigs in their name btw...Wink)  about a year  or so ago and I  like the new cd , but. are people overrating it a bit? It's very pleasant but at times maybe a bit too mellow and it sounds a lot like Collins era Genesis especially Wind and Wuthering to me. That's not a bad thing but it really doesn't serve up anything we haven't heard before. They do do it well....but.........?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:49
It can't be expected to have the same impact on everyone of course.

I don't think too much about influences and originality, to me they are an irrelevance. And I couldn't give any coherent review or analysis of why but at its most basic level it's just a gorgeous beautiful noise that fits my tastes like a glove.

And that's as good as it gets.
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 22:51
Hmm, choosing a top 5 is downright hard, and it will probably change in a week.

1. East Coast Racer
2. Summoned By Bells
3. Hedgerow
4.The First Rebreather
5. Victorian Brickwork
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:06
Originally posted by Mr. Mustard Mr. Mustard wrote:

Hmm, choosing a top 5 is downright hard, and it will probably change in a week.

1. East Coast Racer
2. Summoned By Bells
3. Hedgerow
4.The First Rebreather
5. Victorian Brickwork

Thank you for your help.Smile
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 08:56
Ping
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>