Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 12:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

English Electric, Part 1 is the album for me. Amazing. "Judas Unrepentant" with its addictive refrain (not to mention a superb lyrical retelling of an actual story), and "A Boy in Darkness"  that is both vocally and musically intense -- one of the best ten albums of the last 10 years.

Reckon you might like this then - Judas Unrepentant live...

Edited by Duke of Rother - December 09 2015 at 12:47
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 20:16
^ Excellent rendition. Thanks!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebil0505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 17:34
Been listening to The Underfall Yard album lately. It's delectable as hell.
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 15:07

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 05:07
Big Big Train's new studio album has a release date of 27th May.

This is the promo video for the title track, Folklore.

A little folkier and a little heavier - and just marvellous.

sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukmytoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 05:22
Can't wait for this one Smile
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 14:55
Since stumbling across the song Uncle Jack on another PA thread, BBT have finally clicked with me. Admittedly, they've been one of those bands I've been meaning to give a go for a while, but it's great to have something to latch onto. EE is definitely on my album wishlist now.

I absolutely love the new Folklore track as well. Looks like May 27th is a great day for prog releases, with this album and the new Frost* one.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 07:43
Really nice DVD, an absolute pleasure to watch and listen to. Also the drum cam bonus feature for Nick is superb. MORE of that please!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 09:35
From Stone and Steel is one of the best live releases ever. Most songs are improved. A masterpiece on par with EE1.

POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 09:22
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

From Stone and Steel is one of the best live releases ever. Most songs are improved. A masterpiece on par with EE1.

My only "complaint" is the performances are almost TOO clean and similar to the studio. It would have been nice if they took the opportunity to take some liberties. But Wind Distorted Pioneers is amazing. Goodbye to the Age of Steam is one of my favorite albums, and this live version is far superior.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 05:16
Big Big Train - Folklore

Released yesterday. Bloody wonderful.

Here's a review from someone for whom the band is not a natural "fit" but completely bowled over. Says it all really.

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/big-big-train-folklore-album-review/

Edited by Duke of Rother - May 28 2016 at 05:16
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 12:12
EE Part 2 is just wonderful. Greg Spawton brings to my mind dear Chris Squire - I guess, the Ricky bass and such creative playing / composing. The band just reeks of talent from every pore.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 12:40
Ordered Folklore today. Can't wait for this one.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 14:15
CD arrived today, and first listen on now. Mighty impressive thus far
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 14:21
Wait til it really gets its hooks into you...

So much great stuff going on in the background.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 14:26
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

Wait til it really gets its hooks into you...

So much great stuff going on in the background.

I really enjoyed that Muchmetal review you posted, thanks. All I need to do now is motivate myself to start reviewing again. It's been too long
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 10:22
Another interesting review - from a young 'un as well which is good to see!! (3rd Year Student of Classical Literature and Civilisation...)

http://www.redbrick.me/music/album-review-big-big-train-folklore/
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 13:43
Big Big Hype
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 03:08
Me, being a faithful 'sucker' to vinyl - I only have both English Electric volumes. Can't wait to get my hands on this new offering. EE1 is superb, EE2 just rocks my world as much as Selling England........
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 08:50
Vinyl edition of Folklore for 59.63$ on amazon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>