Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 12:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Me, being a faithful 'sucker' to vinyl - I only have both English Electric volumes. Can't wait to get my hands on this new offering. EE1 is superb, EE2 just rocks my world as much as Selling England........

Don't get your hopes up too high here. The talent is there, but the band really is starting to become a caricature of itself. 

You've got London Plane which does the familiar "from the/where the [river, abbey, English landmark]" like in Lost Rivers of London, Seen Better Days (amazing track), and Winchester From St Giles' Hill.

Then you have Folklore which is basically Wassail which is basically Winkie which basically Make Some Noise. I think those are all their weakest tracks

Folklore is really more of the same. More of the same Big Big Train is awesome. They're arguably my favorite band. But I'm itching for something fresh. 
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 15:24
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 23:52
Hi,

Been catching up with this one ... very nice indeed. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 03:24

Pota, I'm struggling with this description of them as a caricature of themselves.

Folklore doesn't have quite the appeal of the last 4 albums for me but they are producing songs and music of a very high quality, and adding new things to the mix.

And although I can see the linking of Make Some Noise and Wassail makes some sense, Winkie and Folklore are miles apart from those and each other.

I know you love BBT (like me) so am certainly not picking an argument but the negative observations seem odd.

Anyway, what direction would you like them to explore?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 00:18
Tickets for 2 dates at Cadogan Hall in September 2017 went on sale yesterday.

Looks like they damn near sold out within the first few hours so will probably be adding a Sunday matinee (as they did last year).

Need to get in quick if you want to go.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 03:32
With all due respect, POTA is wrong on so many levels. These songs are all absolutely majestic, and nothing of this sort is being done by anyone else. BBT's songs are orchestrated with skills akin to the great classical orchestrators, combining rock/prog instruments with string quartet and brass quintet to glorious effect. And the stories themselves are so fascinating, brought even more to life by the majestic music and David Longdon's vocals.
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 22:21
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

With all due respect, POTA is wrong on so many levels. These songs are all absolutely majestic, and nothing of this sort is being done by anyone else. BBT's songs are orchestrated with skills akin to the great classical orchestrators, combining rock/prog instruments with string quartet and brass quintet to glorious effect. And the stories themselves are so fascinating, brought even more to life by the majestic music and David Longdon's vocals.
I didn't argue against any of this, and I don't really disagree with your sentiments.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 15:01
Been on the Big Big Train for five albums.   Folklore is my favorite.  And that makes me very optimistic for future Big Big Train trips. 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 00:46
New album "Grimspound" is released 28th April.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 09:06
So far I have only really given their English Electric Part One a listen but I am loving it. Quick question, is their early stuff worth giving a look into? or should I just stick with their later releases for now?
Monadology View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Monadology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 10:27
I'd say checking out The Underfall Yard should be obligatory. It's amazing (their best album, I think - mainly because there isn't a weak track to be seen). After that, The Difference Machine is also worth a shot, but it's pretty different from their more recent stuff. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 07:57
Everything since "The Underfall Yard" is compulsatory, if you dig Big Big Train as much as I do. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 21 2017 at 08:17
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:37
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Everything since "The Underfall Yard" is compulsatory, if you dig Big Big Train as much as I do. 

Absolutely agree. Then go for the early ones to hear their development
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 07:35
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

New album "Grimspound" is released 28th April.

BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 08:52
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll listen to the Underfall Yard next
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 10:31
I bit the bullet and bought the DVD Stone And Steel.  My wife and I loved it.  It was a nice way to get to know the band.  The performances  were primo.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 13:26
Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet, well over 24 hours after it was announced: The tracklist for Grimspound was revealed yesterday.

1. Brave Captain
2. On the Racing Line
3. Experimental Gentlemen
4. Meadowland
5. Grimspound
6. The Ivy Gate
7. A Mead Hall in Winter
8. As the Crow Flies
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 20:58
I've heard a lot about them but don't know them. What are some good albums to start with?
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 12:57
I'm not sure how easy any of the pre-Longdon albums are to get these days, but anything from The Underfall Yard (2009) onwards is very much worth your time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 11:49
The new album Grimspound just went on preorder.  I got the CD.  There are some limited edition, opaque vinyl among other goodies. 

I'm looking forward to the added composition power of ex-Beardfish  keyboardist/guitarist/vocalist Rikard Sjöblom. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 02 2017 at 11:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>