Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 10:50
Grimspound has entered the UK Albums Chart at No 45, No 11 in the Vinyl Chart and No 1 in the Rock and Metal Chart.

Brilliant news.

This is on the album and is quite gorgeous.

RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 13:49
It's taken a few listens to establish it, but my favourite song from Grimspound atm is the title track. I love that acapella section at the end.
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 14:09
Brilliant album!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 15:16
A Mead Hall In Winter is my personal favourite.

Those little hook melodies are just so addictive.

Right up there with the best they've done and that's saying something.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 16:51
Grimspound is a serious candidate to top my 2017 list. Surely the best they did since EE1.
My favourite track so far is Brave Captain, but On the Racing Line, Experimental Gentlemen and A Mead Hall in Winter might still take this place after some more listens.

Edited by someone_else - May 07 2017 at 16:51
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 11:13
The new album is incredible! Repeat listening at the moment..
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 00:04
And now we have ANOTHER anew album released this week!

The Second Brightest Star - they kept that quiet!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 11:50
Here's the album cover.

RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 12:56
Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

The new album is incredible! Repeat listening at the moment..

It seems to me that the last album is the most uninteresting in the history of the band
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 14:16
Respected. Minority opinion though by the looks of it.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 21:12
Return to Ommadawn is already stepping down on the ratings of this year. I have really enjoyed that one a lot, and has grown with repeated listenings. I have heard only once on streaming grimspound, but so far I would say I liked Return to Ommadawn much more (a really worthy of Oldfield's old 70's masterpieces). Still, I have heard very little music from this year to be able to say this is my favourite album so far this year.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 21:43
So `Grimspound' landed in less than a year from `Folklore', and now within a few weeks of `Grimspound' they have another stacked full album...and some of it contains full-length versions of pieces off that previous album that were shortened? Along with a couple of DVD/Bluray releases in that time, an EP, and a live album, BBT needs to seriously calm down and stop flooding the market with so much stuff...which will likely lead to a `Full Power' complete reissue before too long as well!

I'm still making my way through `Folklore' and haven't even bought `Grimspound' yet, let alone this new one!

Mind you, the `Stone and Steel' live bluray is superb (Ha, and that runs about three hours as well! )!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 02:15
I've been buying the vinyls of their albums from the English Electric projects and (here goes) - the one with the Raven on the cover. From those 3, I virtually obsess over E.E. II. For me, I haven't caught on to the 'magic' of their music tbh. I can't grasp how they're cranking out this much work in such a short time, and expect it to be A1 material. Steven Wilson they ain't.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 03:41
It is quite simple really. They have a great team of creative musicians, are giving them all the space to contribute and thrive within the group, and are making hay while the sun shines and they are at their creative peak.

Their material is of a consistently high quality, if it is still coming out of the writing methods they use, why sit on it?

And it most definitely is consistently A1 material. (There are 8 of them, to 1 of Steven Wilson - but any comparisons are utterly trite.)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 04:29
Wilson was just a basic example. I do love all the BBT albums - Spawton is a bit of a 'hero' (one of many ) to me. Just seems they're doing a massive amount of things in very short time-frame. Kudos to them. I will be buying either way.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 15:20
I'm confused. You said you hadn't caught onto the magic of their music yet you love all their albums...??
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 16:03
^ Oh, I had a few drinks and it scattered what I was trying to say (and ignore the 'magic' statement, dunno quite what I meant there ??.) but what I meant was something more like ; I hope the quality of their music doesn't suffer with the amazingly quick outpouring of material. I wasn't completely sold on Folklore, it has a lot of good stuff on it, but some things didn't quite click with me. And both the EE albums are superb, especially the 2nd instalment. These are the 3 I have (being, exclusively, a vinyl obsessive) - I'm eager for their latest on vinyl. Still, not making much sense eh ??
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 19:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Oh, I had a few drinks and it scattered what I was trying to say (and ignore the 'magic' statement, dunno quite what I meant there ??.) but what I meant was something more like ; I hope the quality of their music doesn't suffer with the amazingly quick outpouring of material. I wasn't completely sold on Folklore, it has a lot of good stuff on it, but some things didn't quite click with me. And both the EE albums are superb, especially the 2nd instalment. These are the 3 I have (being, exclusively, a vinyl obsessive) - I'm eager for their latest on vinyl. Still, not making much sense eh ??

Also the 3 Big Big Train albums I have (though the English Electric ones I have on the Full Power version). I do love English Electric, it struck me as using the instrumental beauty of prog for the sake of the music and not for the sake of being prog. However, Folklore did dissapointed me somehow... the instrumental parts do sound like being there for the sake of being prog now, and I sort of don't find the melodies so inspired. Still enjoyable, but not in the same league for me. And now I'm not sure if I want to get this new albums from this year... I guess I'll listen to them first, though... and there's still "The Underfall Yard" to consider.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 23:51
well its taking me ages to really figure out the do I don't I like Big Big Train and its a amazingly awesome results with continued listing spins, well worthy of the time put in! 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 06:17
I've found the last two albums the BBT albums I like the least.  The opener on the new one is superb but despite repeated listens the rest is not moving me.  I don't think it's as though they've particularly changed their style, just that the material isn't resonating.  The Underfall Yard-Far Skies Deep Time-EE Part 1 was a helluva run, three fantastic release in succession, but since then not quite for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>