Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
My Dreaming Hill View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My Dreaming Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 00:59
Second Brightest Star is their best release since English Electric. Fight me.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 13:05

Just to bring to everybody's attention the free download at Bandcamp BBT's page, of this lovely Medley of 34' named LONDON SONG

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 14:19
^Downloaded it last week, right after purchasing Grimspound. Great track, the sum is more than the individual parts.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:00
^ Exactly, nicely put Thumbs Up
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:06
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

LONDON SONG

This song they have beaten many times on different albums. The theme is excellent, but the approach begins to resemble Waters with his Wall
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:19
I see it as the cherry on top of the cake - but then I've already started to fancy all they release (for some time now) with no critical sense whatsoever, just full open arms Hug
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:37
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I see it as the cherry on top of the cake - but then I've already started to fancy all they release (for some time now) with no critical sense whatsoever, just full open arms Hug

But why? Album Grimposound  is beautiful. Folklore is unusual, but beautiful.
Sorry, but "The Second Brightest Star" is a
mixture of Bryan Ferry (As Time Goes By ), Rod Stewart  (The Great American Songbook) and 1 song - pouring out Peter Gabriel
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:53
Ups and downs, ups and downs - but overall a magnificent ride that started now a fair couple of records (and years) ago - forcing me to become that kind of all-accepting FANATIC nutcase (I'm joking, of course)

You don't like BF nor RS ? I can suggest some older fine recordings of both gentlemen...if you'd want
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 00:22
BBT are on one of those great album runs that bands sometimes have from The Underfall Yard to the current album. There aren't many bands that I am anyway near as fond of (perhaps Anathema might give them a run for their money but that's it)

Edited by richardh - September 08 2017 at 00:24
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 01:46
I wholeheartedly agree with the ones who say that Big Big Train is on a great-album-run.

There's not a single album in the last decade that dissapoints. I even think that Second Brightest Star is the best thing they ever did. I played it non-stop last summer.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 16:32
People's views on the Merry Christmas EP, please. On 'Merry Christmas' I love the 'Olde' England and anti-commercial sentiment and the 'knowing' brass band/choir stereotypical theme. Not necessarily premier BBT, it doesn't quite hit the highs, but you'd need to be a real Scrooge to question it unduly - given the charity link. However, I do think 'Snowfalls' is rather good - with its wistful, growing old, the kids not around anymore,melancholy. Nice one, guys!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 02:28
I think it’s superb.

A proper Christmas single with sentiment, brass band, children’s choir..... what more could one ask?

(But I prefer listening to Snowfalls.)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 03:40
It's rather nice and I like that it's very traditional but isn't going to challenge Greg Lake anytime soon for best Xmas record by a proggie. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 12:40
Have to say...... with a glass of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc down me as I watch the old Scrooge film on Channel 4 and I put the stockings out for tonight........I do like the Mark Benton video for the song. Wonderfully traditional! Here's to another great year for Big Big Train!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 11:29
Breaking news. Andy Poole has left BBT. No idea why as yet. This will be a huge blow, although they are carrying on, and recruiting a new member for live work (not that there is a great deal of that)
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 14:26
Disappointing news - the longevity of prog bands and their line-ups remains a big issue - but I had hoped BBT had settled on a steady and successful line-up, especially in this real 'purple patch' of the last few years. I'd be interested to hear the real reasons for this - personal, band direction, role within the band etc. Very sad!

Edited by Squonk19 - January 05 2018 at 14:28
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 02:35
Must admit I'm not even that familiar with the BBT line up. Dave Longdon and Nick D'Virgillio are the only ones I could name off the top off my head! I know there were always 2 main writers so I assume that Andy was one of those?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 02:45
As long as Spawton stays on board the train will be on track    
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 05:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Must admit I'm not even that familiar with the BBT line up. Dave Longdon and Nick D'Virgillio are the only ones I could name off the top off my head! I know there were always 2 main writers so I assume that Andy was one of those?

No, I think Poole has had less of a writing role since The Underfall Yard, although I always had the impression that the artistic direction and musical impetus were shared by him and Spawnton, with Longden obviously taking an increasingly influential role in recent times.

Members on other forums have said that Poole was pretty much finished as far as creative input was concerned. I'm not quite sure that is wholly the case, and I always think that a band losing a founding member like this is a huge moment, and such moments are rarely for the better.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2018 at 07:51
Maybe it's for the better - BBT keeps doing beautiful albums and Poole plants the seed elsewhere for more good musical crops in the future.

(Or: ... BBT keeps the train on track and Poole  gets  a renovated engine running anew. Tongue )

Edited by Quinino - January 06 2018 at 07:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>