Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 13:10
Really nice to see a national paper giving the band a boost. Looking forward to it dropping through the letterbox the next day or so!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 13:19
There was a sparkling review of The Anvil concert in The Times as well.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 01:01
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

I enjoyed the Anvil gig (of course) but for me the sound wasn’t great.

I love watching and listening to NDV but the drums were too loud, drowning out most of the subtleties that BBT are so good at. There is no point having 13 instruments in the mix and allowing the drums to totally dominate.

And David Longdonks voice was a little muffled much of the time. I couldn’t actually understand what he was saying between tracks.

(Longdonk....!! Great typo, I’ll Leave it there!)

I made my comments on the ultra positive (worshipful?) Facebook group in a very supportive and respectful manner (as did a number of others) and incurred Mrs NDV’s displeasure!

Sounds like they absolutely killed it at Loreley, which will do them no harm at all.

Nearly all live gigs I've been to are like this to be honest. I'm not sure you will ever get anything like the clarity you would really like but I thought it was all reasonably clear (for a live gig) and I could hear the killer organ riff in Folklore so all good for meSmile
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 15:37
While being a superb album Grand Tour is not their best  IMO -  but the song Ariel is an absolute delight (14 full minutes of it)

Click HERE to listen and fall in love.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 19:53
World tour was my introduction to the band, what a stunning album, my album of the year as of now. I also love English electric 1
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 20:53
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

World tour was my introduction to the band, what a stunning album, my album of the year as of now. I also love English electric 1

Do you mean grand tour?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 23:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Do you mean grand tour?

Or a forthcoming live album? Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 23:46
Got my ticket for the Newport gig on 1 November. Can't wait!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 23:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Do you mean grand tour?

Oops! Yes my bad
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 01:58
I got my ticket for Newcastle on 26th October Big smile

Will be flying from Barcelona just to see them.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 08:43
Really hoping for some US dates in 2020!!!

Grand Tour is my Album Of The Year (so far).  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 08:47
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

The first time I heard it I was walking on Yorke beach basically alone while the sun was setting, the song “alive” was playing. What an amazing experience
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 00:03
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I got my ticket for Newcastle on 26th October Big smile

Will be flying from Barcelona just to see them.

Sounds wonderful. I hope you get a chance to go round the city when you are there. When of the best UK cities for culture and architecture as well as a great night life. Have fun!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 08:12

The first time I heard it I was walking on Yorke beach basically alone while the sun was setting, the song “alive” was playing. What an amazing experience

The best moments in life are defined by a soundtrack.
pussywillow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pussywillow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 12:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

and me ! Also happens that it's my wife's home town. They do a disabled scheme so my wife gets in free as my carer. Great stuff.

PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 03:44
Originally posted by pussywillow pussywillow wrote:

and me ! Also happens that it's my wife's home town. They do a disabled scheme so my wife gets in free as my carer. Great stuff.

Nice! I used to know Newport well as I was at the college in Al-Ty-Ryn (almost certainly spelt that wrong) back in the eighties. Hopefully it's changed a bit since I was there!
pussywillow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pussywillow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 07:01

Originally posted by pussywillow pussywillow wrote:

Nice! I used to know Newport well as I was at the college in Al-Ty-Ryn (almost certainly spelt that wrong) back in the eighties. Hopefully it's changed a bit since I was there!

It hasn't. It's still a dump.
PussyWillow is the best distillation of the classic Tull formula, juxtaposing Anderson's gruff but expressive vocals and a strong, insistent melody bolstered by well-placed, crunchy guitar chords.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2019 at 13:15
I really wanna go to Rosfest!!! BBT, Pattern-Seeking Animal's first gig, Cast, The Tea Club, UPF, Lobate Scarp...

Excellent lineup!!! And sunny Sarasota too.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 10:56

I really wanna go to Rosfest!!! BBT, Pattern-Seeking Animal's first gig, Cast, The Tea Club, UPF, Lobate Scarp...

Excellent lineup!!! And sunny Sarasota too.
The Tea Club is my current music obsession. 

It's funny because re-listening to the previous four has somehow increased my appreciation of their newest. 
-John
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 08:40
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

While being a superb album Grand Tour is not their best  IMO -  but the song Ariel is an absolute delight (14 full minutes of it)

Click HERE to listen and fall in love.
My thoughts entirely.

It's a bit of a shame that everything will be judged against The Underfall Yard and English Electric - everything since then has been excellent but not as good as those 2 (which would be nigh on impossible).

Edited by Duke of Rother - November 27 2019 at 08:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>