Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 03:57
It finally hit me - Folklore is utterly BRILLIANT !!
The first few spins left me a bit underwhelmed - it was good, but lacking in ‘something’ after EE 2. It has been on the shelf for a while. Well, this eve, it lacks nothing. Pure magic. I love it when I’m wrong about certain albums as a fresh observation can be such a delight.

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 01 2018 at 03:58
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 03:22
Originally posted by My Dreaming Hill My Dreaming Hill wrote:

Second Brightest Star is their best release since English Electric. Fight me.

well nearly a year on and I have to agree

btw off topic a tiny bit but I note that Nick is back playing drums with Spock's Beard. Please tell me this isn't permanent?! (or can he do both?). 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 14:14
Folklore is my favorite BBT album but I've been enjoying all their stuff since Dave Gregory and NDV joined.
No need to fight.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 16:34
Great news on the new live album 'Merchants of Light' coming out on July 29th, with a 'Swan Hunter' single release just before! Pre-order already in. Bring it on!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 04:30
I'm not deliberately trying to be contrary but I've tried and tried with BBT, and just cannot get into them.    
Bit of a shame as I am interested in railways
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 00:11
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

I'm not deliberately trying to be contrary but I've tried and tried with BBT, and just cannot get into them.    
Bit of a shame as I am interested in railways

shame indeed. They do write a lot of songs about the British industrial past (not just railways) and I find that very interesting as someone from Swindon. Musically they are a long way from being 'dark and edgy' which tends to put them a bit at odds with the modern trends in prog. However the songs are wonderfully refreshing and they are not scared of melody that is for sure although it might make them seems as if they are at the 'pop' end of prog a bit. For me it wasn't instant though. Sometimes its better to not try to hard to like a band too much and then it might just creep up on you. I found this to be true of Gentle Giant and Porcupine Tree who I also like a lot now but it wasn't always the case.
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 12:27
See you all at the Anvil next month?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 02:12
Yep I'll be there!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 23:51
I wonder how many BBT members are footie fans?? England now only one match from semi final and guess when that is on
Unhappy
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 14:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I wonder how many BBT members are footie fans?? England now only one match from semi final and guess when that is on
Unhappy
They could play 'Fat Billy Shouts Mine' to keep in the football spirit! "jumpers for goalposts......"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 00:02
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Unhappy
They could play 'Fat Billy Shouts Mine' to keep in the football spirit! "jumpers for goalposts......"

random facts of the day but did you know that the noted English composer Edward Elgar composed the first football song? He was a supporter of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC which by coincidence is also my teamSmile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 00:08
^ Welcome back to the top tier! It's going to be an exciting season for your lads.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 08:43
But will they ever play the US?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 23:54
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

^ Welcome back to the top tier! It's going to be an exciting season for your lads.

cheers, hopefully we can ruffle a few feathers
Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 23:20
Great gig last night at Basingstoke. Nice selection of tracks across several albums including Judas Unrepentant , The First Rebreather and East Coast Racer (from EE Pt1) and massive encore of Wassail. Nick you are a legend but all the guys were brilliant. Can't fault anything. Thank You.
BeardFisher-King View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeardFisher-King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 09:50
Hi, folks! I'm new to the PA Forum. I thought I'd share my great appreciation for BBT. I found out about BBT through PROG magazine a number of years ago, and finally got around to listening to their recordings very recently. I started with the English Electric CDs.

If I had to summarize the BBT appeal in one phrase, I would say that they are real people playing real music about real things. There's an emotional honesty conveyed by their songs that I can only compare to those of the band Renaissance. In particular, "East Coast Racer" and "Curator Of Butterflies" are unbelievably moving songs.

Cheers to all BBT fans!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 01:56
Nice first post and welcome!
Thumbs Up
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 13:37
I enjoyed the Anvil gig (of course) but for me the sound wasn’t great.

I love watching and listening to NDV but the drums were too loud, drowning out most of the subtleties that BBT are so good at. There is no point having 13 instruments in the mix and allowing the drums to totally dominate.

And David Longdonks voice was a little muffled much of the time. I couldn’t actually understand what he was saying between tracks.

(Longdonk....!! Great typo, I’ll Leave it there!)

I made my comments on the ultra positive (worshipful?) Facebook group in a very supportive and respectful manner (as did a number of others) and incurred Mrs NDV’s displeasure!

Sounds like they absolutely killed it at Loreley, which will do them no harm at all.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 16:46

Nice first post and welcome!
Thumbs Up

I'd like to second those comments! BBT are rather special nowadays in my musical landscape and often I can't explain why. A track like 'The Permanent Way" just has that mix of soaring prog instrumentation, wistful lyrics, a feel for an England that maybe never existed and a warmth that hopefully younger people than this 50-something can also appreciate. Music can take you into another realm, and BBT amongst many others seem to achieve that very well. Welcome and all the best for the explorations to come!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 07:34
Thought you’d all love to see a nice review in the Daily Express of the new live album from Big Big Train.

Big Big Train.

Merchants of Light.

(English Electric).

***** 5 Stars.

To convert the age-old adage 'a picture is worth a thousand words' to audio sums up this remarkable record release by Big Big Train. It smartly narrates itself as it sinks deep into the listener's psyche.

Intriguing song titles: A Mead Hall In Winter, Experimental Gentlemen, The Transit Of Venus Across The Sun, Telling The Bees and Victorian Brickwork is accompanied by an exquisite blend of melodious English folk prog sounds.

However, it's the superior musicianship splicing the whole show together that wins out.

Just listening to the supercharged sound of a group of musicians hitting their stride and showing their class, as brass blends with string instruments, on A Mead Hall In Winter is a thrilling ride alone.

Singer David Longdon brings a Gabriel style rasp to his vocals harking back to early Genesis, especially when joined by mellotron sounds and Greg Spawton's bass pedals. All of which reinforces BBT's unique approach to incorporating their impeccable musical influences to create their own distinctive sound.

This rare live outing recorded last year at The Cadogan Hall, London, reveals a band breezing full steam ahead on these hot polished tracks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>