Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 06:38
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

So, I just got my English Electric, Full Power CD a few months ago, this being my first encounter with the band. I must say I really enjoyed this album(s). I think it's a very nice kind of prog, mostly stripping all the weirdness and experimentation it might have, and using all the knowledg gained from said experimentations to make a wonderful sound, complex, but not for the sake of being complex and showing off... they do what the music asks them to do. And it's all so pastoral and nice, using as many instruments as necessary. I feel this would have been the natural evolution for Genesis, had they continued on the path set with Foxtrot and Selling England... actually, I would say this albums sound much more like Genesis than Marillion ever did.
That's a good summary, from someone who also started out with 'Full Power'.  I also have The Underfall Yard now and may go on to others based on the feedback here.

Maybe they need a new category - Wholesome Prog
Duke of Rother View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 16:24
Big Big Train Saturday night at Kings Place, London.

Best gig ever for me.

Just awesome.

Absolutely awesome

Final paragraphs of a review of Friday's 1st night. (not mine, even though he uses the same adjective!)
For a band who haven’t played live as such especially on this scale they were nothing shy of awesome and i don’t use such an overused word very often. What struck me afterwards in the bar was the affection of the people who attended. The word fan doesn’t seem to do them justice they were more like a mature family and i was made to feel part of it. As the band mingled with those frequenting the bar they were greeted with congratulations and fond appreciation. Speaking to founder member Andy Poole afterwards i informed him “something very special has just happened in there”. I was not exaggerating. i felt humbled by the whole event. The multi talented musicians on the stage to the fantastic brass section which really did fill out the sound hugely to the man at the helm, sound engineer Rob Aubrey. I count myself lucky to have been there on the night that Big Big Train brought to life the music that many people have enjoyed two dimensionally for many years.  I have no doubt in my mind that the bands following two gigs won’t be hampered by the same glitches and first night nerves as that Friday evening in August when Big Big Train brought their music to life and put faces and gesture to photographs on album covers and made real stories that their music tells.

Once more for the record, awesome.

And the full article. http://progmeister.com/big-big-train-kings-place-14th-august-2015

Edited by Duke of Rother - August 16 2015 at 16:25
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 18:53
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

Big Big Train Saturday night at Kings Place, London.

Best gig ever for me.

Just awesome.

Absolutely awesome

Can't even express my jealously. Really glad to hear it went so well. I can't wait till the release the video and audio.  

On another note, I can't believe the reviewer had never heard The Underfall Yard and Kingmaker prior to the concert. They are two of the band's best tracks.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 07:27
It was that comment that made me decide the review was relevant to post. Obviously not a groupie!
symphonicman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote symphonicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 18:57
I really like Big Big Train. My favourite albums are,  The Underfall Yard, Far Skies Deep Time, English Electric part one and part two and War And Peace & Other Short Stories by former vocalist Sean Filkins.
Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 18:19
Originally posted by symphonicman symphonicman wrote:

I really like Big Big Train. My favourite albums are,  The Underfall Yard, Far Skies Deep Time, English Electric part one and part two and War And Peace & Other Short Stories by former vocalist Sean Filkins.

I've been in a phase the past few months in which I've really only been listening to Sean Filkins Big Big Train. Gathering Speed is now my favorite album. His voice is like David's on steroids. Songs like The Road Much Further On and Powder Monkey are just insanely good. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 19:28
^ Agreed. Gathering Speed is fantastic. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 09:37
I do prefer the David Longdon vocals but Sean Filkins did a fine job.

Have you heard ex drummer Steve Hughes' debut solo album, Tales a From The Silent Ocean?

It's very good.

Incidentally the band have just made deleted album Bard, and EPs The Infant Hecules and From The River To The Sea available to download via their Facebook page - only payment is voluntary the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (or some such).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2015 at 07:42
I'm enjoying Wassail quite a lot probably because dare I say there is some ELP influence creeping in. Probably explains the hateSmile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 03:54
Interesting.

What elements do you hear that are reminiscent of / influenced by ELP? (I've not heard that observation before.)

Edited by Duke of Rother - August 29 2015 at 03:55
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 18:29
I was just reading an interview with bassist Greg Spawton from a couple weeks ago and it contains some huge news.

A new album called Folklore (to be released June 2016) with an hour of new music.

And here's the big one: a three-disc album called Station Masters which covers the music of the band up until Folklore -- and the new lineup is going to re-record any songs pre-David Langdon (to be released Spring 2017). 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 18:31
^Yes, I've heard they've gone folk prog! This should be good!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 00:36
I posted up about Station Masters a couple of years ago when it was reportedly slated for release this year.

They've had a lot of Inge ticking along since then so will forgive the delay!

No more full band live shows until 2017 earliest but they may do some accoustic sets - that'd be good!

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 00:37
...things...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 07:06
Originally posted by Duke of Rother Duke of Rother wrote:

Interesting.

What elements do you hear that are reminiscent of / influenced by ELP? (I've not heard that observation before.)

some of the keyboard solos are very obviously ELP influenced to my ears. I like BBT a lot but this is the first time I've thought ''ELP'' when listening to them ( ELP are my favourite band btw)
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 09:20
The band posted a fantastic video of Victorian Brickwork, live performed in London in august, on youtube:

Edited by Soul Dreamer - September 25 2015 at 09:26
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 13:14
I was there on the Saturday - seeing that brings it all back.

I had to brush a tear away just now. The last few minutes of that song / performance is just breathtaking.

Wow.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 10:39
Yeah, that's a big WOW from me tooClap

Does anyone know if (or hopefully when) a DVD of this performance might be coming out?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke of Rother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 13:06
This message was posted by Greg Spawton on the band's Facebook Group page....

Some Frequently Asked Questions (updated on 18th October)

We thought it would be helpful to post a single thread with some FAQ's for people to refer to. Initially, we'll aim to provide info on forthcoming plans for the band. We'll update this info when there is more news. If there are further questions for BBT, please add them in comments below.

Stone and Steel

This will be a DVD, Blu-Ray release and high-definition download release. It will consist of live-in-the studio performances of a number of songs plus some documentary footage and film of three or four live songs from the Kings Place gigs. Bonus material will be available online and may include interviews and drum-cam footage. Expected release date is December 2015.

Folklore

This is the next studio album and will be released in June 2016. It will be a single CD and download plus double vinyl release.

Station Masters

This is a three-CD collection of music which is intended to provide an overview of Big Big Train music. Older songs will be re-recorded by the current line-up and there will be some previously unreleased material. The aim is to get this finished and released in 2017.

Concept album

Sometimes referred to as 'the big big thing' we have been working on a concept album for quite some time and we hope to get the story fully together in the next few months. A lot of music has already been composed and some has been recorded so it is a work which is well in progress. Likely to be a 2017 or 2018 release.

Gigs

We will be playing more gigs, but not until 2017. In the meantime, we may do the odd acoustic performance (the first such performance being in Cumbria on October 24th.)

Live album

All of the Kings Place gigs were recorded on multi-track and we will aim to release a live album from the shows in late 2016. Video footage of two songs with mixed audio will be made available for free viewing online before Christmas 2015. Video footage of other songs will be available for sale (at an affordable price) on Vimeo at some stage in 2016.

Edited by Duke of Rother - October 20 2015 at 13:07
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 17:34
English Electric, Part 1 is the album for me. Amazing. "Judas Unrepentant" with its addictive refrain (not to mention a superb lyrical retelling of an actual story), and "A Boy in Darkness"  that is both vocally and musically intense -- one of the best ten albums of the last 10 years.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>