Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 05:26
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

The only major problem i have with this arguement is how so many contemporary LPs are being pressed using digital masters. Defeats the whole point and purpose of the benefits of analogue playback mediums like LPs. So in short: Buyer be aware.
This is one of those arguments that we can never prove because there are no 'A' and 'B' versions of those recordings to compare against each other.
I guess that what Libertycaps meant was that those 'audiophilists' who rejoice themselves in how genuinely analog they are because they purchase an album in vinyl, may be fooling themselves and may be unknowingly be listening to a digitally-sourced recording.
Correct. I guess i'm proud to be an "Audiophilist" too. Tongue
Really though, i just love MUSE-IC. She deserves THE BEST gear i can afford.....
Agreed. However, what I said is valid and any counter argument presupposes that the digitally-sourced recording is inferior, which is something we can never prove one way or another. If people pay for the vinyl version and prefer it over the CD version from the same master (regardless of the source) then that is fine, but we can never prove that one source is better than another because different sources of the same recording cannot (by definition) exist.
What?
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 15:11
Correct. Another reason why i prefer CDs to LPs for music produced during the mostly digitally edited/mixed/mastered mid-1980's era and on. I only buy LPs pressed pre-1984 as a general rule of thumb. It's not perfect of course...it's just a guide that i use. YMMV.
Happy listening! Smile
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 14:47
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

Moshkito,

Regarding your post on the ideology of individuality that has been lost on this culture, don't you think digital editing, midi and sound sampling had a significant contribution to the squashing of individuality in the creating of recorded music?

NO.

Because I write on a keyboard into the computer, does not make my writing any better if I was writing in the typewriter and then mailed it to you! ... So much slower, of course!

We're confusing the meat of the product ... with the WAY IT WAS DONE ... it doesn't matter if the guitar went through this wire and a digital amp, instead of an analog amp ... unless you are Neil Young, and you are living in the past ... not to say that the past had no meaning ... it  DID, but to say that the present has no meaning, or ability, is wrong!

This is what Dean has also been saying all along ... it has nothing to do with anything else, except people transposing the time and place ... and thinking that yesterday's cars were better than today's! The MUSIC is by the person ... the car just makes it easier for you to get to place a or b ... has absolutely nothing else to do with it ... unless you are late and the car broke down ... stop it! ... that doesn't count!

... If a producer or engineer suggests using this or that kick drum sample ... it's not your sample.  It's a move toward homogenization.  "Play it your way... but it will sound like John Bonham on the low end... or Steve Gadd's perfectly tuned snare drum.

I don't think so ... it might be that the kid is not strong enough, or good enough to create that sound, and this is where things can go badly wrong ... the band in question ends up sounding better than it really is!

Steve Gadd, btw, is not about his perfectly tunes snare drum ... it is about using the snare drum correctly, instead of the metronomic use that the majority of beginning drummers use ... and if you listen to really good ones, check out the Guru Guru stuff, the metronome is shared by all members, and the bass is no more the leader than the drums and the guitar ... but they come together well ... but this is something that you have to trust your members with ... and not something that most folks work on ... when they are looking for a "Steve Gadd" drum sound!  Steve is a magnificent touch and feel drummer and he knows when to touch and when NOT to touch ... he is LISTENING to the singer, and finding a way to "illustrate" and help show the form and the music and the singer even better ... and he does so magnificently ... with Rickie Lee Jones in the early days, and you can see the unbelievable "touch" he has when he helps Kate Bush in "50 Words for Snow".

Do NOT confuse ... what that engineer or producer are trying to do, with the player's ability ... or the band's ... and sometimes that is the difference between many of those and the ones we came to call "progressive" ... you did not have to tell anyone at KC, Genesis, or ELP, or Yes, or PF, and many others ... "how to do things" ... many of them go into the studio with an idea already.

However, that is like saying that Andy Johns or Tom Dowd are not capable of helping the band sound better, and the history was ... they DID ... but then, the band was good to begin with ... so it didn't matter!

... Spreading out a rhythm track across Pro Tools and using quantizing software to line up all the notes perfectly is homogenizing the music.  Yes, I am aware there is software that adds "feel"... but again.. this is NOT the drummer playing his kit in real time sounding exactly like him.  It's contrived into what someone else thinks it should feel lie like or even sound like. 

And your career as "progressive" will likely have been over, a long time ago too!

To me, this is the greatest mistake that "metal" and most bands today are creating ... they want that "DAW" sound, and it will hurt their ability to get better in music and in the future ... the "personality" of the music disappears in the multitude of bands, none of which have an inch of personality over the other, because they are all copying each other ... and they forgot what music is all about! And the drumming side of things, is the worst these days ... all of them beginner drummers! Even Mike when compared to Steve Gadd.

Another problem ... how do we deal with Tangerine Dream, when the drummer in any piece is one fo the folks in the group? ... but in essense the drummer is not the important person in TD ... but you and I can not say that Bonzo and Moonie were not important in their bands because they were irreplaceable! And a lot of it had to do with their individuality and desire to "color" the music, not just use Pro-Tools and the beat! You must understand that and see it ... or the words won't mean anything to you!

IF, one of these days, ANY DAW wants to improve, they need to break apart the metronome and dump it ... but the DJ music is all about the beat and the time, and not the music itself ... which of course is causing serious issues these days in copyrights and such!

Here is an exercise for you ... you put Mike in a band and later add Steve Gadd. I guarantee you that Steve will make it all even better and find a place for his own drums ... now reverse the tables ... Mike can't do it ... why? ... he can't find the numbers for him to know where he is at! (He probably has learned some of it by now, just by hearing me complain about it!). It's a serious challenge for most drummers ... how much better do you want to get? ... I don't dislike folks like what's his name in PT, but he is way too mechanical for my tastes ... and that's a DAW influence more than anything else! And few people will know a DAW and Mastering, better than Steven in that band!

Edited by moshkito - April 20 2013 at 15:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 05:09
Gavin Harrison is too mechanical?

No sight of a DAW or ProTools there.

Or here:
["my band" showboating onstage at Bloodstock 2005 - Paul White on Drums]

Edited by Dean - April 21 2013 at 05:13
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 05:56

No..definitely not. But to Pedro's taste? 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 05:58
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Aye.
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 14:32

Aye.

Maybe it is that PT's music is so tight to the DAW in precision, that the drumming, for my ears comes off a bit mechanical ... I promise to blare out the last 3 albums and listen to it again ... but compared to Mike, I like his work way better, as it is tidy, neat ... and well done! No showing off necessary!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 17:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Aye.

Maybe it is that PT's music is so tight to the DAW in precision, that the drumming, for my ears comes off a bit mechanical ... I promise to blare out the last 3 albums and listen to it again ... but compared to Mike, I like his work way better, as it is tidy, neat ... and well done! No showing off necessary!
What DAW precision?
What?
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 23:45
Digital has the potential to be better, it just often isn't.
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 03:43
Nick Mason's play is pretty sloppy.  But it has character, and you can always tell it is him. There is a selection process, and a feel and looseness that is wonderfully artistic.  All that got lost on the later Partial Floyd albums.  It got over processed.  I heard Gilmore discuss his only regret on DSOTM was that the drums could have been better. 

Tight is not the answer.  The digital era has proved that to be true.  Good art is not about perfection.  It's about feel.  The right feel.  The Steve Gadd feel. 

It's like comparing a great painting to photography.  A painter is not judged by their ability to recreate perfect realism.  Anyone can aim and shoot their camera.  It's the artist that can bring the viewer to a place that does not exist in the real world.

The great prog bands did that... through feel... through imagination.  Not many did it better than PF... Genesis, or Yes.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 04:11
Earwig O again. Disapprove

Sloppy is sloppy, character is character and expression is expression. Mason is not a bad drummer and it annoys the hell out of me when people say he was, one thing he wasn't was "sloppy". But he is not a great drummer like Gadd or Bozio (both of whom can be tight and expressive and full of character - unlike Baker who is none of the above)

Prejudice is a cloudy vision.

I suspect several professional photographers would beg to differ on whether "anyone can aim and shoot their camera" and whether they are artists or not. You can start with Man Ray, Cecil Beaton, David Bailey, Brian Duffy, Ansel Adams and Annie Leibovitz (just naming six off the top of my head).

What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 04:57
^yeah that was  another terribly bad analogy.
Cornelius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:51
The Original Vinyl Pressing Of..

"Jethro Tull ~ Stand Up" is far superior to any cd I've heard of it yet!
Also
"Stereo Separation" seems so much better on LPs than CDs,

The new "Genesis" masters I've heard are HOT as HELL, If these Re-Masters were pressed onto vinyl at the levels they are at, The needle would jump straight of the record, I suspect...

Edited by Cornelius - May 11 2013 at 11:52
I Like To Drink Cough Medicine..!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:07
Ermm
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 16:17
I suspect several professional photographers would beg to differ on whether "anyone can aim and shoot their camera" and whether they are artists or not. You can start with Man Ray, Cecil Beaton, David Bailey, Brian Duffy, Ansel Adams and Annie Leibovitz (just naming six off the top of my head).

Everyone is an expert these days.  Painters are being run out of business because people are not buying art like they used to.  People are doing their own digital art garbage. Same with music.  Kids are creating songs in garage band without learning to play an instrument.  Digital garbage.  Spam Rock.  Hear it all the time.

Put down your computers kids.. it's time to grow up.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 18:39

Everyone is an expert these days.  Painters are being run out of business because people are not buying art like they used to.  People are doing their own digital art garbage. Same with music.  Kids are creating songs in garage band without learning to play an instrument.  Digital garbage.  Spam Rock.  Hear it all the time.

Put down your computers kids.. it's time to grow up.
If you could see how ridiculous your analogies are you wouldn't make them. In fact they are so ridiculous and so stupidly preposterous it is inconceivable that anyone could not see them for the inanity that they are. If someone was to present the case you are putting forward as a sarcastically satirical piss-take they would be hard pressed to dream up anything as fatuous as the things you come out with. I would go as far as to say that if I was looking for someone to present the case for analogue in the worse way possible, so to discredit it and make a gigantic facetious joke and I was only permitted to chose between you and the guy in the tin-foil hat that shouts at traffic on the street corner... I'd pick you. Seriously, I love analogue stuff and always have, I think value amplifiers are great, but I love digital too and I also think solid state amplifiers are great, it matters little to me whether the studio is analogue or digital as long as the guy on the console knows what he's doing and does it well. If the production is so bloody awful or the playing so ruddy amateur then no one will buy it no matter what equipment was used to produce it. If you hear it all the time then great - now you know what not to buy, good for you, there's plenty more music out there that isn't created on Garage Band. And I still bet you wouldn't have bought those records even if they were recorded in a 100% analogue studio by musicians playing real instruments who practised 18 hours a day since they were born because the kind of music people are making on Garage Band isn't the kind of music you like anyway, (though, as futile as it may be given your track record for answering direct fu**ing questions, I will challenge you to name one successful record that was created on Garage Band, and since this is a Prog website, it had better be a damned Progressive Rock album otherwise these posts you insist on making are even more pointless and facile than they currently are).

You are doing more harm than good with these posts, you are making the whole analogue scene look like the sole domain of the crank. And that is inexcusable.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 04:03
^True dat,
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:20

I suspect several professional photographers would beg to differ on whether "anyone can aim and shoot their camera" and whether they are artists or not. You can start with Man Ray, Cecil Beaton, David Bailey, Brian Duffy, Ansel Adams and Annie Leibovitz (just naming six off the top of my head).Everyone is an expert these days.  Painters are being run out of business because people are not buying art like they used to.  People are doing their own digital art garbage. Same with music.  Kids are creating songs in garage band without learning to play an instrument.  Digital garbage.  Spam Rock.  Hear it all the time.Put down your computers kids.. it's time to grow up.

If you could see how ridiculous your analogies are you wouldn't make them. In fact they are so ridiculous and so stupidly preposterous it is inconceivable that anyone could not see them for the inanity that they are. If someone was to present the case you are putting forward as a sarcastically satirical piss-take they would be hard pressed to dream up anything as fatuous as the things you come out with. I would go as far as to say that if I was looking for someone to present the case for analogue in the worse way possible, so to discredit it and make a gigantic facetious joke and I was only permitted to chose between you and the guy in the tin-foil hat that shouts at traffic on the street corner... I'd pick you. Seriously, I love analogue stuff and always have, I think value amplifiers are great, but I love digital too and I also think solid state amplifiers are great, it matters little to me whether the studio is analogue or digital as long as the guy on the console knows what he's doing and does it well. If the production is so bloody awful or the playing so ruddy amateur then no one will buy it no matter what equipment was used to produce it. If you hear it all the time then great - now you know what not to buy, good for you, there's plenty more music out there that isn't created on Garage Band. And I still bet you wouldn't have bought those records even if they were recorded in a 100% analogue studio by musicians playing real instruments who practised 18 hours a day since they were born because the kind of music people are making on Garage Band isn't the kind of music you like anyway, (though, as futile as it may be given your track record for answering direct fu**ing questions, I will challenge you to name one successful record that was created on Garage Band, and since this is a Prog website, it had better be a damned Progressive Rock album otherwise these posts you insist on making are even more pointless and facile than they currently are).

You are doing more harm than good with these posts, you are making the whole analogue scene look like the sole domain of the crank. And that is inexcusable.

How about Garage Inc by Metalicaca!? I'm just kidding. Being a nerdy goof ball is all. I just thought we could all use a cheap laugh. Anyway, seriously I feel that I've got a very fair and clear perspective outlook on the whole Analogue Vs Digital on this forum. It's a 63 page beast contains a ton of good points. Analogue hasn't been made out in a way where it is as ridiculous as trying to watch a bunch of retards hump a door knob. I've look at analogue carefully, but digital still makes more sense to my ears.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 13:42
If the production is so bloody awful or the playing so ruddy amateur then no one will buy it no matter what equipment was used to produce it.

Dean, as always, you completely miss my point.. but that is to be expected. 

The digital age has been destructive on both ends... it's damaged the creative process, and the playback.  I understand a lot of people like yourself won't get the playback part because you don't have a decent enough stereo to tell the difference.  We've been through the argument about playback.  A vinyl record can sound far superior far inferior depending upon any number of things.  A bad pressing, worn out stylus, bad tubes or capacitors, bad crossovers, a dirty or scratched up recording etc. 

On the creative end.. we have to go back to the beginning.  Before the age of digital manipulation, sampling, auto tune, pitch shifters, infinite digital editing option..... there was a different approach toward a recording session.  A musician didn't walk into a studio with the idea that they could simply buy a perfect recording.  Artists spent much more time preparing for their recording.  Lot's of practice, not only with the track, but also getting their gear lined up... and balancing their sound developments within the context of their presentation.  The listeners who bought records did so with a certain expectation.  This expectation included the possibility that production values even from major record companies could vary significantly.  Certain producers and engineers had reputations, some good and some bad.  But if a record was bad, a lot more of the blame would fall upon the artist themselves. 

The way things were done... recording onto tape reels spanned the entire industry.  It could be good or bad as far as production values.  There was not the homogenizing expectation that is going on today. 

In any serious studio today... everything is going to be fixed.  Every track can be manipulated.  Drums played out of time can be lined up on the computer screen and fixed.  So can the bass.  Guitars don't need to develop their sound before it hits the mic... nor do keyboards.  Vocals can be fixed with pitch shifters and auto tune. 

Modern recordings coming out of the serious studios are so dishonest... that the dishonestly has now become common fair.  It's expected.  It's accepted.

Where this has hurt the most is in the Prog Rock genre.  Because the Proggers have lost their advantage.... that being their ability to showcase superior musicianship and even compositional skills.  While tape splicing was around to edit and move things around.. it's nothing like the copy and paste option that is afforded artists today with complete ease. 

The artitsts in the pasts were forced to wrap their head around the music much more.  It forced them to internalize their music to a much greater degree than just leaving it all stored on a hard drive. 

It's the limitations that forced them to play better, to be more internally creative, to prepare better, to work with their fellow musicians in a more cohesive and inclusive manner.

Have you listened to a rap record?  There is often nothing real or live going on.  The entire thing is samples and loops and copy and paste.  Kids who hear this today are being subjected to an expectation.  If the same kids who heard this computer generated music were to hear a prog album it would not have the same effect upon them as it would have 30 years ago.. even if the prog album were recorded by real musicians in real time onto a tape machine.... because the underlaying assumption is that the recording process is the same.  So while one is real, the other is fake, but to the casual listener, they have no understanding of this.  Zero.... nada, and even the great stuff will fall upon deaf ears.

So in the past it was understood that drums were played by drummers on a drumset and what you heard was ALWAYS the exact feel of the performer.  Nowadays, not only does anyone assume this to be true... most wouldn't know but more importantly wouldn't care.  THE WOULDN"T CARE! 

So what needs to happen is for serious musicians to take back the industry and start labeling recordings as DIGITAL FREE.

This way as slow re education could begin to take place.  So when discussions go on around the high school campus about music.. you might start hearing things like ...

Hey dude.. what kind of music to you like? " Oh, I like the digital free stuff... I'm not into that fake crap all you idiots listen to." 

Digital free? WTF is that?  

"that's when musicians actually have to play their music... and it actually sounds better too."  You should come over my house and listen to some stuff I found from the 1970's. They didn't have computers back then, and the guys actually had to play this stuff.  there is this trippy band called Gentle Giant... check this sh*t out!"

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 14:22

You still confuse the technology itself with how people use the technology. It is true that digital technology has enabled people to misuse it in ways which were not possible before digital came in, but blame the people not the technology.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 38>