Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMorricone or Vangelis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who is your preferred artist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [70.59%]
5 [29.41%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morricone or Vangelis
    Posted: September 17 2012 at 14:04
I've been thinking about doing a little soundtrack composers series of polls, and this is the first of them.  I've long loved Vangelis' music, and Ennio Morricone has become a particular favourite of mine for his (huge discography) 60's through 1970s work.  I've been so into Morricone over the last couple of years that my choice is easy, and I still have so much to discover that I'll be getting his albums for years to come..

Some tracks of both from the late 60s through 70s (not trying to be really representative -- just some stuff I like, and please do share your favourites by both).

Ennio Morricone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv-pdL8J-jY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDyVsg-WEH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-X53ze5O0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jElkp3IHs

Vangelis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECPgkv7_QB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8qo575Ypww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwAop6MVxa4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3nzbYFZ1yw

EDIT: Though I wanted to easily share more of some of my favourites (and choosing only seven per artist just from the late 60s through 70s was already really tough, and then there's later material I love) in the interests of making this topic more accessible to those without broadband, I have only embedded three each.  I hope that helps page-load.  Hopefully more people will now join in the discussion.  I do want a media rich thread though, so I really do hope people embed themselves, which makes it more of a shared musical experience (I like it when we're listening to each-other's favourites and maybe discovering something new).

Much Later EDIT to fix embeds as they won't work the way they used t, but messed up on two so not sure which third tracks I chose before -- probably the same Vangelis as I really love that one, but I would have chosen more variety with Morricone.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2017 at 12:24
Just a fanboy passin' through.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 14:09
Interesting poll. I'll go with Morricone. Vangelis has his moments but relies too heavily on synths that now sound pretty dated and cheesy.

Is it necessary to have 15 videos in your post? My internet connection here is less than stellar and it's a serious pain to load this page.

Edited by thellama73 - September 17 2012 at 14:11
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 14:18
I have broadband, and have forever, so I sometimes forget that it may be difficult for some to load the page.  Well, I didn't forget this time, truth be told.  I meant to do only 14.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 14:41

Edited by richardh - September 17 2012 at 14:52
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 14:56
Morricone. Vangelis sounds too generic at times. Morricone never does.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 14:58
Morricone
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 12:40

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Morricone. Vangelis sounds too generic at times. Morricone never does.

I agree, and I think Morricone much more versatile and sophisticated.  I do love lots of music by both, though. 

What gets me with Morricone is how incredibly prolific he was, yet he has such quality to his compositions and arrangements.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am somewhat surprised, though to see Morricone with twice as many votes (yes, only six people have voted, so it's not that amazing) since Vangelis gets way more discussion at this site.  And one day I do plan to push for Morricone in Prog Related (though I think he could fit RPI, I know they have qualms about opening the door to lots of soundtrack composers).

I started with Morricone's "spaghetti western" work many years ago with Sergio Leone, which I think brilliant:

And then fell in love with the Mission and it's soundtrack.

It wasn't until relatively recently, thanks to a  poster here, that I started to explore his in-between work, which just took over my listening habits to a  significant extent (and then started exploring other Itlalian soundtrack composers).

As for Vangelis, Richard, I like those too.  I'ma little more into his 70s stuff, but for a time that was mostly the kind of music I listened to.  I had a Best of Themes Vangelis CD (guess it's still around), and this was one of my favourite:

I agree with theLlama though that a lot of music has dated and now sounds rather cheesy due to the synths (but since that kind of synth music was at one time my particular thing, I still have a place in my heart for it).  Some of Vangelis' pop is pretty intolerable for me 9espeically if it gets AORish), whereas I love lots of Morricone poppy music with Edda dell'Orso, but that Morricone music is quirkier or more beautiful to me.  Both have been quite experimental, but I think Morricone has experimented with a more  diversr palette of music more consistently (he has great knowledge of music and could play with lots of styles to create different moods for  soundtracks that offer interesting juxtapositions on the OSTs).

EDIT to fix embeds (I used to do it in a way that is no longer supported by the software, whereas others did it a way that still is).

Edited by Logan - September 10 2017 at 12:27
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 14:59
^ Vangelis has recently claimed that he has composed hundreds of classical works that the record companies refuse to release and feels somewhat imprisonsed now within a preconceived idea of what his music is meant to be (not his exact words but the interview can be found on a recent Vangelis thread in this forum) .He is therefore suggesting we only see a small part of his output which is chosen for releae based on commercial and not artistic considerations.

I don't know about 'Cheesey and Dated' though. Most seventies prog could be described thus and Albedo and Heaven and Hell are very much of the seventies (and I love that they areTongue). Recent more 'studious' works such as El Greco and Mythodea perhaps truly demonstrate what a great composer Vangelis is
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 15:18
^ I think sometimes, to be glib, for the classic-oriented progger, most everything not of the 70s sounds dated (or at least certain 70s music is more likely to be described as timeless despite being very much of its time).  Very good post, by the way -- food for thought and another reason to delve more into his music. I have heard some of his more "studious" works, and know that he can be a great "art music" composer, and has delved into many styles.  That's very interesting what Vangelis has said, and he has been overly stereotyped by some. The clash of industry vs. art goes on.  I'll look for the interview. Thanks.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 16:00
I will have to think about this as both of these men have churned out quite a number of riveting soundtracks and albums. I love early Vangelis - a lot of the stuff that's been posted actually, but then again Morricone is very close to being my absolute favourite soundtrack composer. What a pickle...
What a pickle...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 21:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

What a pickle...

Oh, we were supposed to get pickles!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 23:47

Wanted to post another vid as I had wished I'd combined track 2 of Milano Odia... with the track from that vid I posted earlier, but as I didn't, did tracks 2 and 3 from it instead. I love it, and will post it on the off-chance that someone else will discover it and like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZQgUx2ptw

That's been one of my most listened to albums .  I guess Cosa Avete Fatto a Solange? has been my most listened to Morricone album over the past six months.  He's so prolific that I still feel that I have only skimmed the surface of his music.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2017 at 12:28
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 00:46
Well, to be honest I've never heard of Morricone, but I love Vangelis! But I won't vote for the sake of an open mind Smile any recommendations for my first Morricone album?

Sidenote: I mostly enjoy the calmness of El Greco, so if you could give me some Morricone in that type of direction, that'd be great!
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 13:04

Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Well, to be honest I've never heard of Morricone, but I love Vangelis! But I won't vote for the sake of an open mind Smile any recommendations for my first Morricone album?

Sidenote: I mostly enjoy the calmness of El Greco, so if you could give me some Morricone in that type of direction, that'd be great!

Ennio Morricone has scored a huge number of films, and I bet you've heard music of his.

Morricone has a lot of calm themes, but not much in the way of albums that I know and would compare to Vangelis' El Greco.  I've watched a lot of films with Morricone's more modern music that might compare to that album, but I tend to explore different albums of his from an earlier period that I don't think would relate so well.  Vangelis 'El Grecois not really my bag (I like the rather more experimental or dynamic Vangelis works.

An album that you might enjoy by Morricone is Le Professional (1982):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUyjYC_Pv90

Even if it's not like El Greco, I feel like suggesting the Mission to you (watch the film if you haven't).

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qlWLXbfL4[/url]

Incidentally, Morricone did a soundtrack to a 1964 film called El Greco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGXPTEoUjh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cL4VGD3_OQ

Quite brilliant, I think.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2017 at 12:30
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:50
Just ordered the soon to be released 5 CD box set of Morricone's Greatest Movie Themes. Seems a good place to start (Amazon does state its for the 'casual fan' which would be me I guess)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 15:51
Of course I'm more than a casual fan, but I'd like to have this 15 CD boxset: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Edition-Ennio-Morricone/dp/B001KXHSCO Seems a little misnamed as it could hardly be complete -- not by an amazingly long shot (but I don't know much about it).  For a casual fan a compilation is a good idea, but have to be really careful with the compilation.  Different compilations cover different styles/ and or periods from him, and many don't use the original soundtracks.  I was looking to see what 5 CD box set at amazon would be, and didn't search hard, so i don't know (didn't find one under that name with a  quick google search), but I did find an older 5 CD box set from 2007  http://www.amazon.com/Ennio-Morricone-The-Soundtracks-Box/dp/B000N4S9LA which states:

Quote Don't buy this unless you prefer cheesy synthesizer versions of Morricone's themes instead of the real thing. Blech.

Quote Words cannot display how upset I am after buying this box set. What I was expecting was orchestral original pieces of all of Morricones great wonderful music but instead I got only awful midi synth remakes. Who ever decided to put this little scam together, please, kindly remove yourself from planet earth. What would you rather hear, The Beatles White Album, or your best friend Larry humming the Beatles White Album? Same thing right? Buying this was like a small boy asking for a puppy and getting goldfish. Anyone who loves music and Morricone, please save yourself the trouble and don't buy this product.

There are so many compilations of that ilk that one has to be very careful.  I have been burned a number of times, I can blame my own carelessness, with buying soundtracks that turned out not to be the version I expected (not the OSTs).  I once bought a Vangelis album which turned out to be someone else making what sounded close to midi files of his music (the kind of crap one often finds in karaoke versions of music).

As a Morricone collector, I love the original soundtracks much more than compilations (have a number of compilations I love by different artists, though -- especially like n Edda dell'Orso compilation -- she sung with various Italian film-score composers).  It's common in soundtracks to find variations of themes, and I love how that is done with Morricone.  Unlike a normal album, themes do get re-used and changed (one might be a solemn version, another a jazzy version, another scary version etc.)  Often it's a less popular version of the theme off the album that is my favourite (the kind that wouldn't make it to most compilations).  I love repetition often with variations, which is one reason why so many soundtracks to appeal to me (get to hear the same melodies done in different ways).

Edited by Logan - September 20 2012 at 15:53
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 18:02
I'd vote for Vangelis if he wasn't up against Morricone. 

I've got more albums by the latter than any other artist. But none of the Morricone soundtracks I got are recorded later than 77 or 78, and they're not among my favorites. Everything I've heard made post 70's has at best been solid craftmanship, and worthless generic crap at worst. Is there any title from the last 35 years that's great enough to actually reccomended?  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 18:37
I actually down't own a single Morricone album from later than 1977.  Il Gatto is his most recent I own, I believe (not a fave) -- got a few more from that year. And I have only a  few past 1975  1972 is the year I have the most releases of his from.

That said, this is supposed to be from a 1985 TV series, and sounds good, buit then it sounds like an older Morricone theme to me (sounds like pretty classic Morricone and may have not been originally composed for the series).

I once loved his the Mission soundtrack, though now it rather bores me.  Still,  there are people who would really like even his most shmaltzy of works, and so worth recommending to some.  I felt kind of bad mentioning The Professional, but it seemed something that some Vangelis fans might like.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2017 at 12:31
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 01:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Of course I'm more than a casual fan, but I'd like to have this 15 CD boxset: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Edition-Ennio-Morricone/dp/B001KXHSCO Seems a little misnamed as it could hardly be complete -- not by an amazingly long shot (but I don't know much about it).  For a casual fan a compilation is a good idea, but have to be really careful with the compilation.  Different compilations cover different styles/ and or periods from him, and many don't use the original soundtracks.  I was looking to see what 5 CD box set at amazon would be, and didn't search hard, so i don't know (didn't find one under that name with a  quick google search), but I did find an older 5 CD box set from 2007  http://www.amazon.com/Ennio-Morricone-The-Soundtracks-Box/dp/B000N4S9LA which states:

Quote Don't buy this unless you prefer cheesy synthesizer versions of Morricone's themes instead of the real thing. Blech.

Quote Words cannot display how upset I am after buying this box set. What I was expecting was orchestral original pieces of all of Morricones great wonderful music but instead I got only awful midi synth remakes. Who ever decided to put this little scam together, please, kindly remove yourself from planet earth. What would you rather hear, The Beatles White Album, or your best friend Larry humming the Beatles White Album? Same thing right? Buying this was like a small boy asking for a puppy and getting goldfish. Anyone who loves music and Morricone, please save yourself the trouble and don't buy this product.

There are so many compilations of that ilk that one has to be very careful.  I have been burned a number of times, I can blame my own carelessness, with buying soundtracks that turned out not to be the version I expected (not the OSTs).  I once bought a Vangelis album which turned out to be someone else making what sounded close to midi files of his music (the kind of crap one often finds in karaoke versions of music).

As a Morricone collector, I love the original soundtracks much more than compilations (have a number of compilations I love by different artists, though -- especially like n Edda dell'Orso compilation -- she sung with various Italian film-score composers).  It's common in soundtracks to find variations of themes, and I love how that is done with Morricone.  Unlike a normal album, themes do get re-used and changed (one might be a solemn version, another a jazzy version, another scary version etc.)  Often it's a less popular version of the theme off the album that is my favourite (the kind that wouldn't make it to most compilations).  I love repetition often with variations, which is one reason why so many soundtracks to appeal to me (get to hear the same melodies done in different ways).
Its the one below although I must admit I don' know if its been sourced from the original soundtracks.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 12:51
Well, I hope it turns out to be good.   It's pretty inexpensive, anyway, unlike a CD box set of his that I considered spending an awful lot on.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>