Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thought I might try my hand at some U2-type stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThought I might try my hand at some U2-type stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thought I might try my hand at some U2-type stuff
    Posted: September 17 2012 at 18:38
Went in wanting to record a "How To Become Invisible" (by Kate Bush) type groove, ending up merging it into an old-school u2 style thing.

This is so very rough, but I like what I did here, so I thought I might get some feedback if you'd offer it.

The first part might seem boring because I want to add words, but I suck at singing and lyric-writing, so I'd have to get someone else involved. That's a whole other thing.

Edited by stonebeard - September 17 2012 at 18:39
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 18:48
It's got a nice grove to it. I like the bass line and I am a sucker for echo on guitar. I like the way you let it breathe. The middle section slows nicely and builds back up well. Looking forward to hearing it with vocals.
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 19:14
Great stuff. Agreed on all points mentioned about. 

The guitar is fantastic. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 20:21
I say you should keep on persisting in that field, man. I mean, that was f%$king impressive. The production is mighty fine, I like that echoed tremolo you did in the middle, and you've pulled a few quite intricate syncopation tricks on the drums. The sound is freaking clean. I like the piano part and the guitar tone. Yes, sounds quite like U2 in the 80's.

I've been making music for years. I used to experiment, I tried writing songs and instrumental compositions, but I've never projected this much gravity about the whole full-fledged-track-recording matter.

That's good that you've noted the rather monotonous first half of the track. I think you can pull off a bit of diversity. The intro, the verse, and the chorus don't have to sound the same.

Other than that, keep up the good work, brother. Thumbs Up
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 01:03
I seriously appreciate it, guys. I'm still very much in the composing phase with this one, but I'm actually glad that I have a structure and a lot of solid ideas to build on here. My songs lately have been simple A-B-A synth kind of things, which are nice, but they kind of leave me feeling like I'm not really much of a songwriter. It's something I'm working on.

Cheers!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 18:40
Cool jammy feel, especially from the interludey-bit onward
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 23:43
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I seriously appreciate it, guys. I'm still very much in the composing phase with this one, but I'm actually glad that I have a structure and a lot of solid ideas to build on here. My songs lately have been simple A-B-A synth kind of things, which are nice, but they kind of leave me feeling like I'm not really much of a songwriter. It's something I'm working on.

Cheers!

I think your voice isn't that bad. There is something Gordon-Haskell-ish about it when you sing softly. Trying to find the fitting approach to singing is really being such a biatch to me lately. The only things I think I can sing are some Bert Jansch songs. (RIP, man.)
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 00:25
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Cheers!

I think your voice isn't that bad. There is something Gordon-Haskell-ish about it when you sing softly. Trying to find the fitting approach to singing is really being such a biatch to me lately. The only things I think I can sing are some Bert Jansch songs. (RIP, man.)

Did you mean to respond to me? I can't recall ever singing in anything I've done.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 00:49
^ Crap. My apologies. I meant Terra Australis. Posted in the wrong thread. Such a rookie mistake.
 Post Reply Post Reply