Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould marijuana be legalised?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [72.22%]
10 [27.78%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:45
Should we legalize marijuana comsumption by rectal way?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:53
Yes, for anyone over 18.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:55
I would hardly describe someone consuming marijuana by the rectal way enough intelligent to be given the legal majority. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 15:12

I honestly feel better when i'm straight over when i'm buzzed or have been drinking so not a lot of incentive to get high for me. Still i would call myself a casual user. It's great when i take the dog down for a walk on the beach or if i'm going to a show or concert. In the town where i live it's so readily available it's unbelievable. Maybe it's like this everywhere but legal or not there's a lot of stoned people out there.LOL I would vote to legalise it though because i think someone being thrown in jail for having some weed on them is beyond ridiculous.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - September 20 2012 at 15:35
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 15:38
Barbra Streisand in a rectal way??
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 16:04
Probably yes, although I feel the public largely overstates the "safety" of weed.  Yes, we know nobody ODs and we know alcohol is worse blah blah.  Yet regular weed use does have consequences for the lungs which people conveniently ignore and depending on what studies you believe there may be other consequences as well.  Last, there is the motivational suck of casual partying which I've witnessed, having had many friends who use.  Some people handle it well and have successful lives.  Others get really caught up in partying to the extent where other aspects of their lives suffer a bit from inattention, and weed even more than drinking seems to exact a toll on motivation based on what I've witnessed....one of the guys in Genesis was asked about drugs years ago and said basically "just get on with your life."  Excessive partying takes from your potential in subtle way if you are the kind of person who doesn't recognize it and remain conscious of it.   Not everyone will suffer this fate, I understand, but some will be affected by using.  And I think all of these negative possibilities are routinely ignored or glossed over by the "pot is safe as popsicles" crowd. 

That said, criminalizing personal home use is insane. 

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 17:43
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Government shouldn't be deciding what people can or can't put in their bodies, each person should decide by him/herself.

That's like saying "Let's legalize suicide". It's a person's decision to do the unthinkable, right?

One, suicide isn't illegal. We just try very hard to prevent suicide.
Two, what the hell does suicide have to do with weed? Two completely different and unrelated things.

1) I was just making an analogy.
2) I apologize if we went off the topic with that. 
3) The illegality of suicide is what I was told by my step-relatives (but, of course, I don't have to believe everything somebody says).
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 04:50
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Of course it should, and it's full medical potential should be explored in earnest. This may not go down well with the pharma industry though. You can't patent something that grows naturally, as a marketable drug. For this reason clinical trials are few and far between and seldom talked about.

The pharmaceutical industry does this all the time, not just for drugs derived from cannibas (www.gwpharm.com/Sativex.aspx - a cannabis derived cancer treatment that's been approved for 8 years now), but for thousands of drugs derived from naturally growing plants, after all, that is where the pharmaceutical industry came from - extracting "medicine" from plants, not artificially synthesising new wonder drugs from molecular building blocks.

...to paraphrase Dara O'Brain's diatribe on herbal medicine (which, from the position you are arguing, that's what cannabis is): "...then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine', and the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri."

(Which isn't strictly true since most plants will kill you as soon as look at you, but why stand in the way of a good witty line).

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

In any case, marijuana doesn't have to be smoked. It can be drunk and ingested. It can be vapourised, and the THC delievered in steam. As far as I'm aware there have never been any actual proven cases of fatal cannabis overdoes, anywhere in the world. Certainly, where the post mortem concluded 'cannabis overdose' I think it is broadly acknoweldged that habitual smoking of the drug is probably not conducive to improved memory, or the safe operating of machinary or automobiles, and may have a tenuous link to mental health problems in teenagers whose brains are Still developing. But the argument that marijuana should be illegal because of the health implications doesn't stand up. Following that logic, most anti depressant drugs and over the counter painkillers should probably be banned.

That still isn't a case of making it legal in the sense that people are talking of here. Here in the UK there is a sucession of difference between prescription-only medicines, 'behind the counter' medicines, 'over the counter' medicines and grow-your own herbals (feverfew and camomile for example). An example of that is Codeine - as an opiate it is a controlled substance, the legality of codeine is dependant on the strength of the preparation.

Thanks for the link about Sativex. I didn't think that had been approved over here.

The lines of reasoning seem to be 1) People should able to do what they want with their own bodies. 2) There are medicinal benefits which should be fully exploited. 3) It's less dangerous physiologically than alcohol.

It may seem over simplified, but IMO there are no reasons for cannabis to have an illegal status.

I'm certain if government could come up with a failsafe way of legalising and taxing it, whilst not losing middle England voters, they would free the weed in an instant. For all their moral drum banging I doubt many of them really give a sh!t, to be honest.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 06:17
Totaly hurts too much - trying to shuf the Waterpipe up there.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 12:54
Yes, and like Ahnold says: "It's not a drug, it's a leaf." And it's not marijuana, that's the slang term, it should be called cannabis, the proper term.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 18:01
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I honestly feel better when i'm straight over when i'm buzzed or have been drinking so not a lot of incentive to get high for me. Still i would call myself a casual user. It's great when i take the dog down for a walk on the beach or if i'm going to a show or concert. In the town where i live it's so readily available it's unbelievable. Maybe it's like this everywhere but legal or not there's a lot of stoned people out there.LOL I would vote to legalise it though because i think someone being thrown in jail for having some weed on them is beyond ridiculous.

Of course it sounds ridiculous, but the problem is the supply

In my youth , I dealt for two years in Toronto, just to get my stuff free... Didn't sell grams, but quarter ounces, so there would be less traffic

Because I knew how some so-called "cool tokers" acted when they were without anf looking, I made sure I only dealt to people I knew them and knew more or less what their consumption was... and sold to them accordingly... because the last thing I wanted is that they would resell the stuff to others... and eventually I'd get these unwanted customers ringing at my door...

It kind of worked for two years... I only kicked a few out, because they always wanted more, and were giving my name away... Didn't need that crap... went out of business for most... because the problem is that when tokers are on the prowl, they can be arseholes in the way they search for it... Like some wouldn't believe I didn't have any (it happened at times, and I didn't want to increase my dealing or go for a new batch until my own stash was not done with)... so they were getting upset... Screw them... didn't need the aggravation

Give you an example right now... My ex-neighbours in Holland (where the stuff is legal) were fairly cool, though somewhat noisy (most Dutch are)... They moved out to give their son the house... Turns out he's a successfull coffee shop owner (a legal dope dealer, if you wish).... The guy is cool (well his wife certainly is), but has a lot of friends and parties (no real nuisance... he controls his buddies well under his roof), but I suspect most of them are coffee shop kling-ons...

But in the last two months, some of his "buddies" have been ringing insistantly at his door, despite seeing that he's not there... Some of these idiots are hanging around for 30 minutes in front of his house... Damn, if they need it that bad, grow your own stash...

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2012 at 15:45
No