Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson 5.1 mixes - No Larks Tongues?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marktheshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson 5.1 mixes - No Larks Tongues?
    Posted: September 21 2012 at 15:52
I've managed to pick up the first three albums along with Starless and Red in these deluxe editions and all sound incredible. But does anyone know why Larks Tongues and Islands have been passed over? Multi-tracks missing?
Meurgley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meurgley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 16:38
I don't know, but I sure would like to have Islands in 5.1 one day. I don't know why Larks has been passed over, maybe the tapes don't exist anymore. One has to be happy with the scraps we get, I guess!Smile
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 16:41
If GENESIS has pretty much their entire catalog in lovely 5.1 you can be sure King Crimson will have the same. Bet ya WILSON will do all of them. He's a brilliant sound engineer/producer 😜
Threshold still have all the goods that makes them one of the best classic rock/Prog metal bands in the world. 2014's For The Journey is worth a serious listen.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 16:51
I have the Islands one right in front of me. Larks comes out this year:  https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/

Bigger on the inside.
Meurgley View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meurgley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 17:09
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

If GENESIS has pretty much their entire catalog in lovely 5.1 you can be sure King Crimson will have the same. Bet ya WILSON will do all of them. He's a brilliant sound engineer/producer 😜

Na, Wilson won't touch King Crimson, I've read he doesn't like them. Bet ya back he won't do Tull, ELP or any other prog dinosaur either. He's just a slacker, only in it for the money.
Pockets17red View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pockets17red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 17:23
This is a troll thread right?

Larks is coming out in October

I also have islands in front of me.

Steven wilson made 5.1 mixes for Aqualung, and Thick As A Brick. Aqualung came out last year, and Thick as a Brick is coming out in November.

Steven Wilson made 5.1 mixes for ELP's self -titled album and Tarkus, which have been out for a bit and will continue remixing all albums up to and including Welcome Back My Friends...
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CryoftheCarrots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 17:24
Originally posted by Meurgley Meurgley wrote:

If GENESIS has pretty much their entire catalog in lovely 5.1 you can be sure King Crimson will have the same. Bet ya WILSON will do all of them. He's a brilliant sound engineer/producer ��

Na, Wilson won't touch King Crimson, I've read he doesn't like them. Bet ya back he won't do Tull, ELP or any other prog dinosaur either. He's just a slacker, only in it for the money.
LOL

Already paid for my copy of LTIA. Can't wait.
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"
MJK
Pockets17red View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pockets17red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 17:26
Originally posted by CryoftheCarrots CryoftheCarrots wrote:

If GENESIS has pretty much their entire catalog in lovely 5.1 you can be sure King Crimson will have the same. Bet ya WILSON will do all of them. He's a brilliant sound engineer/producer ��

LOL

Already paid for my copy of LTIA. Can't wait.

Same here, getting the big boxset! (Blu-ray!!)
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gallifrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 20:30

He's already done some ELP, doing more, and I think he's on for Tull as well.

And of course he likes King Crimson, Fripp even did guitar on Nil Recurring.
BLOG: https://www.facebook.com/neoprogisbestprog
LAST.FM: http://www.last.fm/user/gallifrey337
RYM: http://rateyourmusic.com/~Gallifrey
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 20:35
I really like my 5.1 copy of Islands. I may have to get Brain Salad Surgery when it comes out, since I never bought that album to begin with.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 22:20
^ That's been said before, word for word, by another user. Stern Smile

WHAT?! I have the "Aqualung" 40th anniversary edition (which he worked on), and in its notes Wilson stated that he was working on the 5.1 mix of the album (1 July 2011). After that a footnote goes:

"* The 5.1 mix is only available on the Collector's Edition of this release."

Anyway, back to the Crims.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 21 2012 at 22:22
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
wehpanzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wehpanzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 11:39
Can't wait for LTIA.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 12:37
As much as I have had my friends talk to me about how great the 5.1 mixes are, I have already purchased cassette, CD nd 2 LP's and I am NOT going to spend money on a 3rd copy (4th for LTIA and Red) of these albums. There is too much other stuff out there I want to discover and the money, or for that matter time, is just not there to spend on remakes.
TheGabrielConstruct View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGabrielConstruct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 20:30
The Larks' box is pretty amazing though, 13 cds (with basically all of the live recordings of the lineup) and a few dvds - it's not just a reissue of the original.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bj-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 09:06
Originally posted by TheGabrielConstruct TheGabrielConstruct wrote:

The Larks' box is pretty amazing though, 13 cds (with basically all of the live recordings of the lineup) and a few dvds - it's not just a reissue of the original.

You get Larks' in 5.1 surround mix in the box (on one of the DVD's I think), as well as the original UK and US vinyl transfers, 2012 stereo mix (which sound brilliant!) and an albums worth of alternate takes. Haven't heard the 5.1 yet but I will definitely blast the 5.1 mix over the neighbourhood soon. Approve

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marktheshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 12:57
I went and got the 2 disc set of the CD+DVD, I've spent enough on the ITCOTCK box set and the Pink Floyd immersion sets, time to cool it on the expenditures.

The 5.1 mix sounds terrific, the best I've ever heard this album, Muir's percussion is all over the room. It's a little on the gimmicky side with some revolving surround effects ala ELP's BSS, but I guess this particular recording is sort of mean't for this type of mix. The original '73 Quad mix was sort of like this. I wonder why they haven't included the Quad mixes with these like Floyd has done on the immersion sets.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic