Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLove for Tales from Topographic Oceans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 06:59
Bought recently on vinyl. Analog tapes. Sounds delicious, more humble. I still don't like the drummer, but I have the same problem with Relayer. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 09:56
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Tales has some excellent music on it, but each track is about twice as long as it should be. Part 4 is the weakest, part 2 is the strongest, IMO. I have it on vinyl somewhere, like all my Yes stuff. But rarely do i listen to it.

Not everyone sees it that way. I personally don't find it long enough. I would want to live in a world where this kind of music is playing every minute of the day. It's about pacing. Complex parts mixed with contemplative parts. It's brilliant. It took me a long time to appreciate this one. It's one that has to be worked for but in the end is one of my favorite albums of all time
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 10:07
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Tales has some excellent music on it, but each track is about twice as long as it should be. Part 4 is the weakest, part 2 is the strongest, IMO. I have it on vinyl somewhere, like all my Yes stuff. But rarely do i listen to it.

Not everyone sees it that way. I personally don't find it long enough. I would want to live in a world where this kind of music is playing every minute of the day. It's about pacing. Complex parts mixed with contemplative parts. It's brilliant. It took me a long time to appreciate this one. It's one that has to be worked for but in the end is one of my favorite albums of all time

I agree.  Except for the Ancient, I'm always surprised and a bit disappointed when the songs end so quickly. I like the Symphonic version of Ritual, which clocks in at about 28 minutes.

That's not a critique of the Ancient, btw, I just think it's exactly the right length.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 10:09
also btw, I saw Yes again in Detroit last Friday and the show has improved. The playing was astonishingly good, and I have to say the new drummer really brings it.  The Tales part of the show was amazing, just amazing.

The sound was very full and lush. I'm not sure how to describe it, but there's a moment in And You and I when a wall of sound just rolls over the song. The band hit that just right.
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 11:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Of course. It has some great moments, but I find listening to each piece in its entirety less appealing than, for example, Close to the Edge or Awaken for example.

Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 07:26
Love it. Would give it a 10/10. As is the case with every other Yes album, the ABWH album, etc.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 08:12
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Love it. Would give it a 10/10. As is the case with every other Yes album, the ABWH album, etc.

The ABWH is a funny one.

The first time I heard Yes was actually For You, For Me by Jon Anderson from Song of Seven. I then bought the ABWH album having confused it with that song. I heard that song listening to the Friday Rock Show (years ago for those who know, not 'arf!). Took years to get round to finding Song of Seven, let alone knowing what it was.

The ABWH album has some really good material, but i wish theyd included Vultures on the album and gotten rid of the gimmicky Quartet. The only real criticism is that it's not actually ABWH given the list of guest musicians who are also, inexplicably, involved. Almost as bad as Onion. :D Geoff Downes is on the thing ffs! (In fact you can see him on the video package that accompanied the album from the studio sequences). Really it's an Anderson solo album featuring the rest of Yes (except poor old fishy).

And now he's about to do the same thing with Trevor and Rick! lolz

I maintain Topographic Oceans is not as good as it could be. It is an accomplishment, don't get me wrong. Just putting it together is impressive (so impressive it nearly finished off Rick). But the longer pieces just don't gel as well as something like Gates, Close, or Awaken, which is their greatest single piece of work. Gates comes close but Jon's thick Lancashire bur, the awful drumming and production don't help. Patrick could have made a really interesting replacement for Rick had he stuck around, his jazzy style really works.

There's a really god version of Revealing Science performed by Transatlantic and Jon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXaR2RknAFg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 18:13

Gates comes close but Jon's thick Lancashire bur, the awful drumming
Ummmmm

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 01:44
Listen to the first line of Gates and you can hear his accent come through really loud!

I'm not entirely serious.

The drumming though isn't that great and the production makes Steve's guitar sound horrible.

It's a shame ebcause it's a good record
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 12:03
It's like an annoying relative. As much as you detest it as a whole, you have to give some of it credence.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 12:41
30 years listening to this gem. Between so many reviews, what else can I say? Like siLLy puPPy wrote here: "It's one that has to be worked for but in the end is one of my favorite albums of all time". Clap 
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 16:48
When I (quite frequently) decide to give it another spin I always grow a warm feeling of anticipated pleasure for that expected fruition and in spite of trying to make it last as long as possible when it reaches the inevitable end I'm already longing for the next chance I'll get to make it all happen again.

If this ain't Love ?...
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 15:42
I've been listening to Tales a lot lately; if it's not in rotation on my stereo, I'm likely to be humming melodies from it or playing it in my head throughout the day, and I think I've just recently been able to pin down (one of many) reasons that I love it so much.

I really feel that Tales From Topographic Oceans was actually very much a return to the sound and style that Yes had achieved on The Yes Album. More dominant songwriting presence from Steve Howe, more conservative use of keyboards, and simpler, lighter melodies than on Close To The Edge

There are more specific Yes Album similarities that I can pick up on in certain tracks, as well. The grandiose, sprawling passages from The Revealing Science of God really remind me of the Life Seeker section from Starship Trooper; rhythmically simple passages that mesmerise you with the grandeur of the chords and the mysticism of Jon's lyrics.

The Remembering also has sections that are reminiscent of Starship Trooper. The lively acoustic sections ("Sail the skies...Other skylines...") really remind me of the acoustic Disillusions section. And then Ritual perhaps more than any brings me back to The Yes Album. The whole first five minutes, with the lively uptempo rock section, wouldn't seem at all out of place in Yours Is No Disgrace. And then the slower, more sentimental ballad section captures the same sort of "summer of love" mood as Perpetual Change. Not to mention the more avant-garde break closer to the middle/end of Ritual seems to share a similar approach to the polyrhythmic 7/8 section later in the same song.

So I think what really makes Tales so great (#1 Yes album for me, perhaps?) is the fact that it's the culmination and combination of everything that made Yes so successful and interesting leading up to it. Tales may have been inspired by a lengthy footnote in some religious text, and the four shastras, and Jon Anderson's general hippie-ism, but that's not really what it's about. Tales is really about the love and appreciation of life and music, which is really what the three Yes albums before it were all about, too. The simplicity and charm of The Yes Album, the artistic immersion by Roger Dean of Fragile and the epic proportions of Close To The Edge, all in one great package - that's Tales.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 16:19
excellent post man...Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 02:30
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I've been listening to Tales a lot lately; if it's not in rotation on my stereo, I'm likely to be humming melodies from it or playing it in my head throughout the day, and I think I've just recently been able to pin down (one of many) reasons that I love it so much.

I really feel that Tales From Topographic Oceans was actually very much a return to the sound and style that Yes had achieved on The Yes Album. More dominant songwriting presence from Steve Howe, more conservative use of keyboards, and simpler, lighter melodies than on Close To The Edge

There are more specific Yes Album similarities that I can pick up on in certain tracks, as well. The grandiose, sprawling passages from The Revealing Science of God really remind me of the Life Seeker section from Starship Trooper; rhythmically simple passages that mesmerise you with the grandeur of the chords and the mysticism of Jon's lyrics.

The Remembering also has sections that are reminiscent of Starship Trooper. The lively acoustic sections ("Sail the skies...Other skylines...") really remind me of the acoustic Disillusions section. And then Ritual perhaps more than any brings me back to The Yes Album. The whole first five minutes, with the lively uptempo rock section, wouldn't seem at all out of place in Yours Is No Disgrace. And then the slower, more sentimental ballad section captures the same sort of "summer of love" mood as Perpetual Change. Not to mention the more avant-garde break closer to the middle/end of Ritual seems to share a similar approach to the polyrhythmic 7/8 section later in the same song.

So I think what really makes Tales so great (#1 Yes album for me, perhaps?) is the fact that it's the culmination and combination of everything that made Yes so successful and interesting leading up to it. Tales may have been inspired by a lengthy footnote in some religious text, and the four shastras, and Jon Anderson's general hippie-ism, but that's not really what it's about. Tales is really about the love and appreciation of life and music, which is really what the three Yes albums before it were all about, too. The simplicity and charm of The Yes Album, the artistic immersion by Roger Dean of Fragile and the epic proportions of Close To The Edge, all in one great package - that's Tales.

Great insight, Magnum the Wanderer. I have not yet come that far but I may find it exactly the same as you. I have all the time to explore and Iīm sure Iīll find something else too...
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 07:22
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

It's my #1 Yes album. I agree with you totally. It is the perfect summary of everything Yes that came before and a symbolic shift to another phase of their career. It's the gift that keeps on giving for those willing to pay their dues to truly understand it. Great job on your astute analysis. You hit so many nails on the head that you've built your own house to store all the copies of your Tales releases Big smile

Devoncir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 08:14
This is THE DEFINITE prog rock album.
"The Remembering" is my favorite, can't get tired of it. My favorite part is the slow building introdution of "the remembering".
Love  it, and I can't tell the parts Rick Wakeman call "fillers". There are hundred of groups that produce only filler and are successfull. Why would someone cut out just Yes music? (I can understand though that it must had been not so pleasant for Wakeman to play the one-hour album throughly every night during the 73-74 tour -- it's a great album, but not something to experience in an every day basis)

Edited by Devoncir - October 11 2016 at 08:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 09:22

The drumming though isn't that great
That's the part I don't agree with.
Devoncir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 08:04
The best version of live "Ritual" has just been released
In the new version of Tales , the Steve Wilson 2016 mix.
It was recorded in 1974.
Much more energetic than the one of Yesshows 
But we still need a proper live version of "Sound Chaser"- Why, heavens, why haven't they recorded that live for us, hungry fans?
PS: Could someone please explain the problem whit the drums in TFTO? The problem is that it's not Bruford, or there is a REAL problem?

Edited by Devoncir - October 14 2016 at 09:42
Devoncir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 08:13
In the TFTO Steve Wilson also corrected the only problem of TFTO in my opinion>> the mix- timbre of Howe's guitar in the opening of the Ancient - It was too much sharp, now it's comfortable. And the bass is more marked. Ancient sounds celestial.  

Edited by Devoncir - October 14 2016 at 08:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>