Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Devin Townsend albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lmaorofllollmao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 Devin Townsend albums?
    Posted: September 29 2012 at 23:23
Well, basically after buying terria, i thought to myself, "Sweet mother of god, this guys a freaking genius!", and therefor looked into collecting most of the albums essential to his discography, so what do my fellow proggers say?
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 00:04
My preferences in order from most favorite to least:

1 - Terria
2 - Accelerated Evolution
3 - Ki
4 - Ocean Machine: Biomech
5 - Synchestra

6 - Ziltoid
7 - Physicist
8 - Infinity
9 - Ghost
10-Addicted

11-The Hummer
12-Devlab
13-Deconstruction (Yeah, really didn't like that one, but popular opinion seems to shift rampantly in the opposite direction)

I haven't heard the one he just released this month, but I have no clue how I'll feel about it. Here lately he's been consistently disappointing me. Ki was the last album of his I openly loved at first listen. 
He gave her his town house and his racing horses. Each meal she ate was a dozen courses. She had a million dollars worth of nickels and dimes. She sat around and counted them all a million times.
lmaorofllollmao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote lmaorofllollmao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 00:07
Thanks man, i'll look into em'.

EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 00:54
I like Deconstruction best of the ones I've heard
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 01:01
Originally posted by Alitare

My preferences in order from most favorite to least:

1 - Terria
2 - Accelerated Evolution
3 - Ki
5 - Synchestra

6 - Ziltoid
7 - Physicist
8 - Infinity
9 - Ghost
10-Addicted

11-The Hummer
12-Devlab
13-Deconstruction (Yeah, really didn't like that one, but popular opinion seems to shift rampantly in the opposite direction)

I haven't heard the one he just released this month, but I have no clue how I'll feel about it. Here lately he's been consistently disappointing me. Ki was the last album of his I openly loved at first listen. 
Deconstruction is the only one I have, and I don't like it much.  Had not considered further investigation because of this, but perhaps I should...
Frank Swarbrick
--
Belief is not Truth.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alitare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 01:07
I think that, lately, Devin suffers from severe lack of quality control (and heavy doses of over-productivity). He's putting too much out and it seems like he isn't putting as much into each song. At least that's my impression. If he took the best ten minutes off Addiicted, Ghost, and Deconstruction, he'd have one of the coolest, most diverse, most successfully concise records in a long while - instead he filters that good half hour with hundreds of minutes of stuff I don't like at all.
He gave her his town house and his racing horses. Each meal she ate was a dozen courses. She had a million dollars worth of nickels and dimes. She sat around and counted them all a million times.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 01:22
Terria was the first album I got and I was pretty blown away, next was Synchestra which I believe to be his best album. But few more albums I got like Ziltoid, Ocean Machine and Addicted were ok but didn't really clicked with me. I stopped getting Townsend's albums for now.
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.."
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2012 at 13:25
Donīt have and know all his albums, but those I know I would rank into the following order

1 - Terria
2 - Addicted
3 - Synchestra
5 - Ziltoid
6 - Physicist
7 - Ki
I'm not one to believe in magic
But I sometimes have a second sight
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 18:10
I absolutely adore Devy. He influences me not only as a musician, but as a person. I mean, the guy has like the goofiest sense of humor, it's prevalent through his music, and he's such a smart dude as well. He's made some of my favourite albums of all time, certainly of the past decade - each progressing and branching in a positive direction. He makes me proud to be Canadian. Big smile

1. Terria
2. Ghost - Beautiful, beautiful album. If you haven't glimpsed that one yet, please do so!
3. Ziltoid
4. Addicted
5. Ki
ProgDrummerTony View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgDrummerTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 14:21
Devin is simply awesome! I haven't known about him for too long but I've already put him up there with Neal Morse and Steven Wilson as a huge musical influence. The thing about Devin's music is that most of it takes some time to sink in (especially something as dense as Terria or Deconstruction), and once it does sink in, it just feels totally rewarding to hear over and over again. He has become quite an inspiration to me.

In terms of his albums, I would probably rank them like this for now:

1. Terria
2. Ocean Machine: Biomech
3. Ziltoid the Omniscient
4. Deconstruction
5. Accelerated Evolution
6. Ki
7. Addicted
8. Synchestra
9. Ghost
10. Infinity
11. Epicloud
12. Physicist
13. The Hummer
14. Devlab

I don't think the top three albums will ever change on my list, but everything below that is tentative as far as I know. The more I listen to each album, the more I'll want to put it higher on the list, and that's just going to be a frustrating process Smile ...Long live Devy!!
mrbean667 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrbean667 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 23:18
Top 5?

Something like this...

1: Ki
2: Terria
3: Ocean Machine
4: Synchestra
5: Deconstruction

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 09:13
I have to admit. I'm never got into Devin Townsend, but i wil definately check out his work. I think I will start with Terria. I've heard really great things. Another band called GALAHAD, which is a Neo prog group that seems to offer quality music like IQ and ARENA. Albums I think I should start with are YEAR ZERO, and EMPIRES ALWAYS FALL.

I open to any suggestions that anyone might have for my lack of exploration with these 2 bands that seem to be quite reveared in the prog den.
I kneel to the alter of ARCAM.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 11:58
My top Devy albums are:

1. Deconstruction
2. Infinity
3. Terria
4. Addicted!
5. Ocean Machine/Ziltoid (can't pick)
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 12:23
1 Ghost
2 Ki

But not sure this is what you are looking for, these are the quiet once.

Edited by tamijo - October 12 2012 at 12:26
danieleff View Drop Down
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)
Forum Newbie (< 5 posts)

Post Options Post Options   Quote danieleff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 13:51
That's a very tough task guys!! I love almost all of his album! But I'll give it a try

1. Synchestra
2. Terria
3. Infinity
4. Addicted
5. Accelerated Evolution
6. Epicloud
7. Ocean Machine: Biomech
8. Ghost
9. Physicist
10. Ziltoid the Omniscient
11. Deconstruction
12. Ki
13. The Hummer

14. Devlab (I never heard it XD )

The fact it's that even a 10th place in this rank it's still very cool !
Listen to his music folks!!!!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 17:46
These are the ones I've got, I've never really clicked with Devy so I haven't bothered to explore further, the fact that he seems to permanently have bass mixed out of his albums doesn't help.

Terria
Ki
Ghost
Synchestra
Infinity
Deconstruction
Addicted
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 00:30
Tenuously in order of my favourites:

Ziltoid
Terria
Addicted
Deconstruction
Biomech
"I say, play your own way. Donít play what the public wants. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what youíre doing, even if it does take them fifteen, twenty years." -Thelonious Monk
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Billy Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 16:56
5. Ziltoid
4. Accelerated Evolution
3.Synchestra
2. Terria
1. Ocean Machine: Biomech

Call me crazy but I put Devin Townsends debut album over everything else he's ever done, more inspired, great melodies, perfect blend of the heavy side, and the softer ambient side of DT, best lyrics he's ever written, no filler, perfect album.
You are not a precious and unique snowflake
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 19:48
I am in the process of buying his albums.  I think Epicloud is just amazing, so do not worry at all about buying his newest one.  I bought it at the same time as Terria, so I often listen to them together.  I absolutely love Ziltoid, and you really cannot have more fun listening to any record.  Ocean Machine and Addicted are good, but not as good as the others I have mentioned here.  I just bought Deconstruction, and am blown away. I ordered Synchestra and am waiting for that one to arrive.

Edited by javajeff - March 10 2014 at 20:37
 Post Reply Post Reply