Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop 5 Devin Townsend albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 Devin Townsend albums?
    Posted: September 29 2012 at 23:23
Well, basically after buying terria, i thought to myself, "Sweet mother of god, this guys a freaking genius!", and therefor looked into collecting most of the albums essential to his discography, so what do my fellow proggers say?
EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 00:04
My preferences in order from most favorite to least:

1 - Terria
2 - Accelerated Evolution
3 - Ki
4 - Ocean Machine: Biomech
5 - Synchestra

6 - Ziltoid
7 - Physicist
8 - Infinity
9 - Ghost
10-Addicted

11-The Hummer
12-Devlab
13-Deconstruction (Yeah, really didn't like that one, but popular opinion seems to shift rampantly in the opposite direction)

I haven't heard the one he just released this month, but I have no clue how I'll feel about it. Here lately he's been consistently disappointing me. Ki was the last album of his I openly loved at first listen. 
lmaorofllollmao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 00:07
Thanks man, i'll look into em'.

EATTTT YOUURRR BEEEEEETTTSSSSS!!!!!

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 00:54
I like Deconstruction best of the ones I've heard
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 01:01
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

My preferences in order from most favorite to least:

1 - Terria
2 - Accelerated Evolution
3 - Ki
5 - Synchestra

6 - Ziltoid
7 - Physicist
8 - Infinity
9 - Ghost
10-Addicted

11-The Hummer
12-Devlab
13-Deconstruction (Yeah, really didn't like that one, but popular opinion seems to shift rampantly in the opposite direction)

I haven't heard the one he just released this month, but I have no clue how I'll feel about it. Here lately he's been consistently disappointing me. Ki was the last album of his I openly loved at first listen. 
Deconstruction is the only one I have, and I don't like it much.  Had not considered further investigation because of this, but perhaps I should...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 01:07
I think that, lately, Devin suffers from severe lack of quality control (and heavy doses of over-productivity). He's putting too much out and it seems like he isn't putting as much into each song. At least that's my impression. If he took the best ten minutes off Addiicted, Ghost, and Deconstruction, he'd have one of the coolest, most diverse, most successfully concise records in a long while - instead he filters that good half hour with hundreds of minutes of stuff I don't like at all.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 01:22
Terria was the first album I got and I was pretty blown away, next was Synchestra which I believe to be his best album. But few more albums I got like Ziltoid, Ocean Machine and Addicted were ok but didn't really clicked with me. I stopped getting Townsend's albums for now.
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2012 at 13:25
Donīt have and know all his albums, but those I know I would rank into the following order

1 - Terria
2 - Addicted
3 - Synchestra
5 - Ziltoid
6 - Physicist
7 - Ki
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 18:10
I absolutely adore Devy. He influences me not only as a musician, but as a person. I mean, the guy has like the goofiest sense of humor, it's prevalent through his music, and he's such a smart dude as well. He's made some of my favourite albums of all time, certainly of the past decade - each progressing and branching in a positive direction. He makes me proud to be Canadian. Big smile

1. Terria
2. Ghost - Beautiful, beautiful album. If you haven't glimpsed that one yet, please do so!
3. Ziltoid
4. Addicted
5. Ki
ProgDrummerTony View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 14:21
Devin is simply awesome! I haven't known about him for too long but I've already put him up there with Neal Morse and Steven Wilson as a huge musical influence. The thing about Devin's music is that most of it takes some time to sink in (especially something as dense as Terria or Deconstruction), and once it does sink in, it just feels totally rewarding to hear over and over again. He has become quite an inspiration to me.

In terms of his albums, I would probably rank them like this for now:

1. Terria
2. Ocean Machine: Biomech
3. Ziltoid the Omniscient
4. Deconstruction
5. Accelerated Evolution
6. Ki
7. Addicted
8. Synchestra
9. Ghost
10. Infinity
11. Epicloud
12. Physicist
13. The Hummer
14. Devlab

I don't think the top three albums will ever change on my list, but everything below that is tentative as far as I know. The more I listen to each album, the more I'll want to put it higher on the list, and that's just going to be a frustrating process Smile ...Long live Devy!!
mrbean667 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 23:18
Top 5?

Something like this...

1: Ki
2: Terria
3: Ocean Machine
4: Synchestra
5: Deconstruction

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 09:13
I have to admit. I'm never got into Devin Townsend, but i wil definately check out his work. I think I will start with Terria. I've heard really great things. Another band called GALAHAD, which is a Neo prog group that seems to offer quality music like IQ and ARENA. Albums I think I should start with are YEAR ZERO, and EMPIRES ALWAYS FALL.

I open to any suggestions that anyone might have for my lack of exploration with these 2 bands that seem to be quite reveared in the prog den.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 11:58
My top Devy albums are:

1. Deconstruction
2. Infinity
3. Terria
4. Addicted!
5. Ocean Machine/Ziltoid (can't pick)
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 12:23
1 Ghost
2 Ki

But not sure this is what you are looking for, these are the quiet once.

Edited by tamijo - October 12 2012 at 12:26
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
danieleff View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 13:51
That's a very tough task guys!! I love almost all of his album! But I'll give it a try

1. Synchestra
2. Terria
3. Infinity
4. Addicted
5. Accelerated Evolution
6. Epicloud
7. Ocean Machine: Biomech
8. Ghost
9. Physicist
10. Ziltoid the Omniscient
11. Deconstruction
12. Ki
13. The Hummer

14. Devlab (I never heard it XD )

The fact it's that even a 10th place in this rank it's still very cool !
Listen to his music folks!!!!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 17:46
These are the ones I've got, I've never really clicked with Devy so I haven't bothered to explore further, the fact that he seems to permanently have bass mixed out of his albums doesn't help.

Terria
Ki
Ghost
Synchestra
Infinity
Deconstruction
Addicted
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 00:30
Tenuously in order of my favourites:

Ziltoid
Terria
Addicted
Deconstruction
Biomech
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 16:56
5. Ziltoid
4. Accelerated Evolution
3.Synchestra
2. Terria
1. Ocean Machine: Biomech

Call me crazy but I put Devin Townsends debut album over everything else he's ever done, more inspired, great melodies, perfect blend of the heavy side, and the softer ambient side of DT, best lyrics he's ever written, no filler, perfect album.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 19:48
I am in the process of buying his albums.  I think Epicloud is just amazing, so do not worry at all about buying his newest one.  I bought it at the same time as Terria, so I often listen to them together.  I absolutely love Ziltoid, and you really cannot have more fun listening to any record.  Ocean Machine and Addicted are good, but not as good as the others I have mentioned here.  I just bought Deconstruction, and am blown away. I ordered Synchestra and am waiting for that one to arrive.

Edited by javajeff - March 10 2014 at 20:37
Holydivaa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 15:38
I noticed that most people here prefer Terria or Ocean Machine. I'm not sure if these people really took the time to listen to all the recent stuff or if it's a common preference about the prog stuff. Anyways, here is my list with a short description of the album so you guys know what to buy, with a list of recommended songs to grasp the sound of the album. (This is hard, trust me)

1. Ziltoid The Omniscient: Since its 2007 release, there is no album I have enjoyed more or listened to more than this one. Take the time to listen to the lyrics, the progression between tracks, and the INCREDIBLE drum machine (I shouldn't post this on a prog forum but it's not a real drummer in this one, he's using ezdrummer). Listen to this album in full a few times, it keeps getting better and better.  (I've listened to this one about 100 times in full and it's growing in me.) Can't wait for the Z2/DTP album!

Recommended songs: By your command, Ziltoidia Attaxx, Hyperdrive (If you love these don't worry, the rest of the album is as good)

2. Epicloud: grab the deluxe edition at all cost, the bonus disc is as good as the actual album. Anyone who liked addicted will probably wanna grab this one next. In this one, Anneke Van Giersbergen's vocals really fit into the devin townsend wall of sound. This album consists mostly of smooth hypnotizing electro songs. However, this is one of the few DT albums where I'm gonna skip songs. Still, it's a long album and the good content is really awesome.

Recommended epicloud: Where we belong, Save our now, Kingdom (This was originally from Physicist, the new version is way better)
Recommended epiclouder: Believe, Happy Birthday, Heatwave

3. Deconstruction: This is for the prog death metal fans. This album features guest appearances from Opeth, Meshuggah, Gwar, Gojira, Emperor and more. This is one album I didn't like at first, or at least I was not too sure. I then listened to it a few more times, was still unsure, then stopped listening to it for two years. I decided to give it another try recently, and man, this album is amazing. Even though I have put Epicloud as number 2, I would recommend this one before epicloud to any metal lover.
Recommended songs: Juular, Planet of the apes, The Mighty Masturbator (By far my favorite)

4. Ghost: Another album that took me a while to appreciate. Since it's 2011 release (which was a dual release with Deconstruction), I had not listened to this album much, as I was seldom in the good mood for it. Whenever I tried to force it, I didn't appreciate. Eventually, I found this perfect mood when to listen to ghost, which is when I'm looking for answers, unsure about the future, when i lost my faith in humanity, a little depressed. I then listen to ghost, and it all goes away, This album is my health potion now, it really feels great to listen to it. This is the Guitar and flute album, this is his quietest album up to date. This is for anyone looking for a really relaxing album.

Recommended songs: Try feather or ghost to get the general vibe, but at all cost don't listen to these songs separately. Either listen to it in full or don't.

5. Ki: At this point, you're probably starting to wonder, ''has this guy listened to any of the older stuff?'' Yes, I did. However, these DTP albums have grown more with time than the rest, and when you give them the time, they are more satisfying than older DT or DTB records to me. This album is more acoustic, less heavy, and like other DTP albums, has its own homogeneous vibe. The album features Che Aimee, the female vocalist who also appears on his new album Casualties Of Cool. Give this album a few listens, and if you smoke weed, well, try this album next time, you're gonna like it even more.

Songs: Quiet Riot, Trainfire, Ki, Heaven Send

The next few albums are recommended as well, very solid albums:

6. Ocean Machine: Biomech: This is considered by a lot to be his best work. This could have been higher on the list but songs 3,4,5 are a bit weak imo. The albums really starts at the interlude 3 A.M, and it gets only better from there. This is the album I would recommend to prog rock fans, or grunge fans. This is a classic, you need to hear it, but in the long run I believe it is not as good as the first 5.

Recommended: Life, Funeral, Death of music

7. Terria: Olives, what the hell? This is one of the worst introductions ever. It is painful to hear. And it is not the sole annoying moment. When I think about Terria, I'm not too sure, it is both awesome and annoying as it gets. Let's say that this is a really good prog album, but could have been way better. Honestly, you might really adore it. It's worth a few listens.

Recommended songs: Earth Day, Nobody's here, Tiny Tears

8. Casualties Of Cool: His new country album. It is the album he's most proud of. It is the album that took him the most time to make. He has worked on this for nearly 10 years. It features Che aimee, the female vocalist from ki. It is the quietest album after Ghost. Recommended for anyone who wants to enjoy a different, quiet album. The concept of the album is great, the Devin/Che duo blends perfectly. It's also the only album he has ever done without thinking about expectation or reviews, or how people would perceive it. He has done this one only for himself, and it's the only album he still listens to. (Well, we're in july and the album came out in may, let's see what he's going to say in a few years) Be sure to grab the special edition, the bonus disc is nice. It has leftover songs from ghost and CoC. Also, the full album's length was over 74 min, so he had to remove Gone is Gone, which is on the special edition. If you want the playlist of the authentic album, insert Gone is gone between forgive me and broken

Recommended: Daddy, Flight, Forgive me

9. Addicted: This is probably the DT that I enjoyed most on the first listen after Ziltoid or Epicloud.  What I said then: This could be the best DT album, so catchy and solid. What I say now: I'm probably never going to listen to this album in full again, and I don't enjoy most songs anymore. Still, I reckon it to be good, it's worth the buy. It's just not an album that grows over time like most DT or prog albums. This is the one that you will enjoy a few times and then will eventually grow some dust. This is the most electro album along with Epicloud.

Recommended: Addicted, Supercrush, Bend it like bender

10-11-12: Infinity, Synchestra, accelerated evolution: I'm not gonna put too much effort in those. They are good albums, they contain great songs. However, the fillers of these albums are overwhelming, in a bad way. There are some really annoying songs, that no matter how many times I listen to them, I just can't stand them. For that reason, I recommend those last, but they're important to the collection of the hardcore fan.

Recommended songs: Bad devil, Vampira, Storm

ALBUMS I DO NOT RECOMMEND:

13. Physicist: It's terrible in every way. No one deserves the pain of listening to this. There was one true gem on this record, it is kingdom. And Kingdom has been remade on Epicloud. Thank god, there is no reason to listen to this anymore. Even Devin Townsend admits it's horrible.

14. Devlab: Ambient sounds and electro, this is not something that most people will enjoy. It's interesting to hear the sounds he uses in his wall of sound without the drums and guitars. Still, this is for curious people or hardcore fans who want to absolutely listen to everything he has done. It's not bad at all, it's just not good neither.

15: The hummer: Pretty much like Devlab, but even more ambient. This can barely be considered music.

Honorable Mentions: 

1. Day 3, day 8, day 16, on the Human Equation by Ayreon. Devin townsend is a guest on these 3 songs, and they're incredible. Check it out (and listen to the album in full as well, it is great)

2. Punky Bruster - Cooked on Phonics: This is a punk parody, and it's actually better than most punk bands. If you wanna try something different or if you enjoy punk, try this one, it's pretty good. 

3. Steve Vai - Sex and religion: Although it is cheesy, and hated by Steve vai fans AND Devin townsend fans, I think it's worth a listen. You might enjoy this way more than you think.

THE HONORABLE MENTION: Strapping young lad - City

This is one of the best albums in extreme metal history. It is a classic, good from A-Z. Whoever is into really heavy music should definitely hurry up and grab this. If I had put this album on my list, this would've probably been number 2 or 3. You can also try the greatest hits of SYL or the album Alien, they're good

Recommended from City: Detox, AAA, All hail the new flesh

I hope you guys enjoyed, it took me 3 hours to write this, and english is not my mother tongue, so pardon my errors :D  Have Fun discovering the greatest guitar player to have ever lived :D (ziltoid reference, I don't wanna start a debate here)

Edited by Holydivaa - July 23 2014 at 15:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>