Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAm I reading this correctly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 15:07
You know, I haven't actually looked at the top 100 in at least a year.  I ignore it completely.  It seems obvious the thread starter should too.

It's just an aggregation of all the votes for all the albums.  Collaborators and official reviewers get more weight.  That's it.  It's also not hard to become and official reviewer........just review a lot of albums, be active on the forums, and start at least one forum discussion.

Having said all that, the best part of this whole thread has been the stuff that was totally off topic.  Keep up the good work.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 15:36
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

It's also not hard to become and official reviewer........just review a lot of albums, be active on the forums, and start at least one forum discussion.

I've never been a prog reviewer of this site myself, but I can tell you right off the bat that all of the conditions listed above are not enough to become a prog reviewer. Certain members will read your reviews and decide upon their quality whether or not you are worth being a prog reviewer.
JonnyM79 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 15:43
Since this thread has been going on the Big Big Train album that seems to have partly sparked it has ticked up from 20th to 19th.  No sign of a fall-off as predicted.  Bloody right too!
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 15:44
Well, I was Prog Reviewer with review quality like this:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=208747 - Doesn't offer ANY information. Doesn't describe the sound quality, doesn't even have any good jokes. It is literally 150 words of 'I love this album, I don't love all the songs, but I love this album. It is essential. Why? I dunno - it is, though.

Most of my earlier reviews were like that. I think I won review of the month with something very similar regarding Queen's Night at the Opera (though I was much less kind toward it). 

Hell, I haven't even been that active on forums. Dayven, I've been here three years longer than you and you've already posted nearly as much as me.

Edited by Alitare - October 03 2012 at 15:51
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 15:56
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

ELP had many great tracks but no one masterpiece album.  

Brain Salad Surgery.
Trilogy

Agreed with Snow Dog ... I would even include Pictures at an Exhibition which is, by far, one of the best interpretations of the piece ever done! Tomita's is probably the 2nd one!

I think the debut is a masterpiece too.
Brilliant album Clap

Both of them actually .. ELP's first and Tomita's first (Debussy). I still prefer ELP the first and then the complete "Endless Enigma" to anything else they did. And I like Karn Evil in all its parts, and consider it a "symphony" along with all the other "progressive" masterpieces.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:13
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Well, I was Prog Reviewer with review quality like this:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=208747 - Doesn't offer ANY information. Doesn't describe the sound quality, doesn't even have any good jokes. It is literally 150 words of 'I love this album, I don't love all the songs, but I love this album. It is essential. Why? I dunno - it is, though.

Most of my earlier reviews were like that. I think I won review of the month with something very similar regarding Queen's Night at the Opera (though I was much less kind toward it). 

Hell, I haven't even been that active on forums. Dayven, I've been here three years longer than you and you've already posted nearly as much as me.

... and I've yet to write that review for Are You Experienced.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:17
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In general I think ELP are correctly rated ... its just tons of other stuff that's overrated including even Yes and Genesis albums recorded around 1973 (imho).
ELP first 4 studio albums all about 4 stars (Correct)
Black Moon about 3 stars (correct)
Works Volume One 2 stars (incorrect but still no better than 3 stars)
The other studio albums I care a lot less about.
Live albums
Welcome Back My Friends 4 stars (correct)
Pictures 3.5 stars (correct)
Safely can ignore the rest

Yes and Genesis though didn't make more than a few masterpeices each imo  (Foxtrot and Trick plus  CTTE + GFTO). The rest display the same inconsistency that ELP have but generally people ignore it and there are no 1 and 2 star reviews to balance them out.
ELP get a higher number of 1 and 2 star reviews but as I have already admitted I don't actually disagree with the average ratings on the site (except Works Vol One)

Genesis SEBP, NC and The Lamb deserve to be rated "Materpiece", IMO & IOO & IGM
NC - not a great fan. Still think Genesis were evolving (no pun intended)
SEBTP has 3 obvious weak or weaker tracks that I don't even need to name
Lamb has plenty of weak tracks but people like the concept ( I don't)

dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:19
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

It's also not hard to become and official reviewer........just review a lot of albums, be active on the forums, and start at least one forum discussion.

I've never been a prog reviewer of this site myself, but I can tell you right off the bat that all of the conditions listed above are not enough to become a prog reviewer. Certain members will read your reviews and decide upon their quality whether or not you are worth being a prog reviewer.

Oh, it's more than quality, too.  I've been told my reviews are good enough quality, but I'm not a reviewer.  Like I said - you also have to review albums the other collabs like.  Wink
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:28
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Oh, it's more than quality, too.  I've been told my reviews are good enough quality, but I'm not a reviewer.  Like I said - you also have to review albums the other collabs like.  Wink

Ok, first of all complaining about not being a prog reviewer is a little pathetic.

Second, you have fewer than forty reviews. That's not a ton to go on. I have more than eighty and I have never been asked to be a reviewer, nor do I really mind.

Third, here's your review of Led Zeppelin IV (the only album you've reviewed that I've heard):

dtguitarfan
5 stars Well, what can I say? This is obviously an important album, based on the fact that it is one of the most well known albums of all time. Not only is it a milestone of Classic Rock, but it is one of the origin albums for Metal and Progressive Metal alike. As a Progressive Metal fan, I speak to my fellow Progressive Metal fans when I say: if you want to understand where the genre came from, you need to listen to this album, especially paying attention to "Black Dog" and "Stairway to Heaven". This band defined a genre, and inspired many and will continue to inspire many who follow them.

It's not a terrible review, but you really don't say much about the music or why you feel it deserves five stars. Granted, a lot of my reviews are far from brilliant as well, but I am not complaining about not being promoted while hyping the quality of my own writing.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:31
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^ I think the PA's top 100 may have a bit of a biased rating system because it's seems generational. That list to me looks like it was collaborated by a bunch of baby boomers.
How can a list of opinions be biased? If the classic prog albums are ranked high, it's because people love them. Baby boomers were around when Prog was in full swing, so they are naturally going to have an affinity for bands of that era. Also, everything made after 1989 is garbage, so there's that.

Easy boomer....easy. No look it you proved my point. A generation Has some certain entitlements for sure. I agree with that, but to be fair it's seems to be a very large class of 70's prog that fill the top slots here. I understand that a lot 70's prog paved the way and built the prog foundation strongly, but it heavily overshadows the new blood that comes in. For the most part though, the actual 5 star giving for some of the albums listed like SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND is dead on!!! That album is crazy good, but I don't think it belongs 40+ spots ahead of Dream Theaters Imagines and Words. But that's me. I grew up in dream theater land, so it's just a generational opinion. Certainly can't take it as something that is written in stone. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:40
^I'm not a baby boomer, FYI. I was born in 1982, and I still think that everything after 1989 is trash. Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:45

Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

[QUOTE=infandous]It's also not hard to become and official reviewer........just review a lot of albums, be active on the forums, and start at least one forum discussion.

Ok, first of all complaining about not being a prog reviewer is a little pathetic.Second, you have fewer than forty reviews. That's not a ton to go on. I have more than eighty and I have never been asked to be a reviewer, nor do I really mind.Third, here's your review of Led Zeppelin IV (the only album you've reviewed that I've heard):<table height="196" width="625"><t><tr><td align="center" valign="top" width="155">

dtguitarfan

</td>     
<td valign="top">
<div style="padding:0px 10px;border-left:dotted 1px #ccc;">
5 stars
Well, what can I say? This is obviously an important album, based on the fact that it is one of the
most well known albums of all time. Not only is it a milestone of Classic Rock, but it is one of
the origin albums for Metal and Progressive Metal alike. As a Progressive Metal fan, I speak to my
fellow Progressive Metal fans when I say: if you want to understand where the genre came from, you
need to listen to this album, especially paying attention to "Black Dog" and "Stairway to Heaven".
This band defined a genre, and inspired many and will continue to inspire many who follow them.<div itemscope="" item="http://-vocabulary.org/Review" style="text-align:right;">
     <span itemprop="reviewer" style="color: #999999; font-size: 85%;"></span>
</td></tr></t></table>It's not a terrible review, but you really don't say much about the music or why you feel it deserves five stars. Granted, a lot of my reviews are far from brilliant as well, but I am not complaining about not being promoted while hyping the quality of my own writing.[/QUOTE

You know Ive only reviewed like 2 albums and I gotta say I enjoyed the buzz I caught from reviewing in general. Although, it's something that has to dawn on you in order for to get motivated to do so. I know when's review an album I will go all out and leave something back. It's a tough gig to do all the time. I have respect for the both of you for contributing in this form but stop BASHING and BULLYING by flexing your word muscles at one another or I won't read your reviews. Lol
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:51
It was not my intention to bash dtguitarfan or brag about my review writing. I was merely pointing out that he doesn't have a good case for whining about not being a Prog Reviewer. Neither the quantity or the quality of his reviews are outstanding and his continued accusations of favoritism seem to me uncalled for and disrespectful. The only reasoned I mentioned my reviews at all was to show that writing lots of reviews doesn't earn you some kind of right to promotion. That is all.

Edited by thellama73 - October 03 2012 at 16:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 16:58

It was not my intention to bash dtguitarfan or brag about my review writing. I was merely pointing out that he doesn't have a good case for whining about not being a Prog Reviewer. Neither the quantity or the quality of his reviews are outstanding and his continued accusations of favoritism seem to me uncalled for and disrespectful. The only reasoned I mentioned my reviews at all was to show that writing lots of reviews doesn't earn you some kind of right to promotion. That is all.

Fair enough. Oh and I was bluffing I'm still gonna read your reviews ;) I really want to devote more time to reviewing in general. I'll stick to writing positive reviews, so I will probably finish my Saviour Machine Legacy review sometime soon. That band pushed me enough to really speak my mind. And I guess that is what it takes. You gotta get inspired enough to push yourself towards the keyboard and start hammering away. Anyway. Got respect for ya man, and I am gonna do more caus eye message must be heard about great prog!!!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 17:03
If you really want to read my reviews, I have many that are not on PA. Check out my blog at http://thetintinnabularium.blogspot.com/ </shameless self-promotion>
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 17:08

If you really want to read my reviews, I have many that are not on PA. Check out my blog at http://thetintinnabularium.blogspot.com/ </shameless self-promotion>

Cool. What reviews are you most proud of? Like which ones did you enjoy writing the most ?
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 17:12
I'll show you the review I'm most proud of (at least contained on this site):

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=294342 - Wrote that one over two years ago. It's what cost me my Prog Reviewer status, if I recall correctly. It was one of several, p'raps.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 17:18

Cool. What reviews are you most proud of? Like which ones did you enjoy writing the most ?

Lol. Your review of HEAVEN AND HELL really was heaven and hell for you.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 17:27
I didn't know about the bigbigtrain album, that's hilarious because they are awful
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 17:40

Gosh, I don't know. I guess the ones where I have the most enthusiasm for the music. Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Raymond Scott, Nico, Foetus, maybe the Residents'. I don't often go back and read them so it's difficult to say.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>