Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClockwork Angels book

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clockwork Angels book
    Posted: October 02 2012 at 16:32
Has anyone read it? Is it worth getting?

It has *okay* reviews on amazon but a lot of them seem to be "I like Rush so this book is awesome!". It was harder to tell if it can stand on its own.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 16:39
I bought the book at the concert a couple of weeks back, but I've not started to read it yet so I am not of any help.
BlindGuard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 10:46
I haven't read the book yet. but a friend of mine who did told me it's a nice companion to the album, not so great and not bad either.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 19:23
I have heard the same......Its not a bad read and does compliment the album well. My friend also said he could see it morph into some kind of sci-fi movie, but not really about the album but just a base.
WanderingLogician View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 22:57
Well, I might go for it if I get some extra cash, and post a review or something.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 02:32
I read the first chapter somewhere. From what I can tell, it'll be massively cheesy (especially the romance), but I'm reading it all the same when I get the chance. Smile

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - October 11 2012 at 02:41
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 23:54
I'll probably read this eventually, though not right away.  I'm looking forward to seeing how good Mr. Anderson explains how we get from the protagonist being framed from a terrorist attack to his failed relationship with an acrobat (a gap which Neil Peart conveniently never explains). 

I mean, being framed for a terrorist attack is pretty serious.  "Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers"?  Not very poignant if nothing actually happens to him.  This is a huge gap in the story.  I know the album is somewhat episodic but come on, at least we get explanations of what happens after the shipwreck and stuff like that. 
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 14:34
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I mean, being framed for a terrorist attack is pretty serious.  "Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers"?  Not very poignant if nothing actually happens to him.  This is a huge gap in the story.  I know the album is somewhat episodic but come on, at least we get explanations of what happens after the shipwreck and stuff like that. 
Forgot about that. I've just been pretending the songs were in the wrong order. Tongue
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2012 at 11:34

I'll probably read this eventually, though not right away.  I'm looking forward to seeing how good Mr. Anderson explains how we get from the protagonist being framed from a terrorist attack to his failed relationship with an acrobat (a gap which Neil Peart conveniently never explains). 

The guy not escaped after being framed by the terrorist attack?

Listening to the album, I think he fled, and after began to remember their failed romance with the acrobat.
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
sinclair67 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Non-Prog Sinclair Spam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 00:31

We've heard the identical......Its not a poor go through and also really does compliment the actual lp properly. My pal furthermore said he or she may even see it morph straight into some type of sci-fi video, but not genuinely regarding the album but merely basics.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 16:38
Originally posted by sinclair67 sinclair67 wrote:

We've heard the identical......Its not a poor go through and also really does compliment the actual lp properly. My pal furthermore said he or she may even see it morph straight into some type of sci-fi video, but not genuinely regarding the album but merely basics.

You're not sure what gender your pal is?  Confused

I'm not sure if I'll pick this up or not.  I love sci-fi, but it could be a whole lot of cheese.  Not really sure how I feel yet about the overall story of Clockwork Angels either.  I'll have to give it a few more listens and pay attention to the lyrics.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 17:35
So has anyone read it yet?  I'm thinking about reading it but I don't want to go out and buy it if it's going to be a load of crap.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 17:06

So has anyone read it yet?  I'm thinking about reading it but I don't want to go out and buy it if it's going to be a load of crap.
I'm about three chapters in. It's nothing special, really, but it's not terrible. I recommend borrowing it from your public library if that's at all feasible.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 11:05
I finished reading it last night.  It was a pretty quick read for me.  I think it really is a good companion piece to the album.  It really helped to fill in a lot of the holes in the story presented by the lyrics.  It was an enjoyable read, but nothing really mindblowing.  To be honest, I was kind of left with the same disappointment that I had with the end of the album.  It just kind of ended. I suppose in that sense though, it kind of made it more realistic. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 02:20
I am going to read it this year but have to borrow it first.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 02:58
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I finished reading it last night.  It was a pretty quick read for me.  I think it really is a good companion piece to the album.  It really helped to fill in a lot of the holes in the story presented by the lyrics.  It was an enjoyable read, but nothing really mindblowing.  To be honest, I was kind of left with the same disappointment that I had with the end of the album.  It just kind of ended. I suppose in that sense though, it kind of made it more realistic. 

Kind of like how life just ends, or something like that.

The book was alright. It was a very speedy read, and did answer questions. I could see how some of the parts were somewhat cheezy, but I enjoyed the overall idea/message behind the story.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 02:59
Whats so cheesy about it?
Acherontia lachesis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 13:05
I enjoyed the book. 

Usually fantasy books that lean too purely in the moralizing/philosophizing vein are not my cup of tea, and this one was very direct and very simple.  Sugary in some places.  You could tell that the primary purpose of the story was to convey a philosophical point. 

I kept feeling as I was reading that this was a book I shouldn't enjoy (don't get me wrong, I approve of books that have a message, and a strong one, I just like them better when they're more hidden, less blunt, usually), yet they pulled it off.

I should add I'm not a die hard Rush fan.  I don't dislike them, I like their music, their philosophical approach, I just like other groups better.

JyDavise View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 05:40
I have read this book too  and I like it . 
I offer to read this book , it's very interesting and have a lot of useful ideas .
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2013 at 06:09
I am about half way through.  It's a bit of a chore.  Cheesy most definitely, but I'll try to finish it.  Fortunately I didn't buy it; just checked it out from the library.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>