Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRate that post/ rate that topic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Would people like to be able to rate posts and threads?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [62.50%]
6 [37.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rate that post/ rate that topic
    Posted: October 09 2012 at 13:56
I am not putting this in help Improve this Site because there are board limitations with the forum software, so this is strictly academic.  At an old site I belonged to users could rate topics.  It wasn't  a very good system since the ratings were not cumulative (any new rating would change the rating altogether).  Back then I thought it would be neat if we could rate individual posts as well, and then there would be cumulative post rating for the member.  I can see the problems in doing so, but I thought it would be fun (the cumulative rating becomes more important than post number)  I saw this system later at another forum, and they got rewards (little gifts) if they were highly rated and snazzy forum titles.  They might have also had poster of the month, week, day and year awards.

I would have quite liked to see "rate that review" but spoke against the problems if we did do that.  I  would foresee  problems with bringing this rate topic. rate post idea in if we could, but it would fun if not taken that seriously, and could,  IF not abused (which it would be, and how!) be rather useful in gauging how others feel about ones individual posts since most don't get responded to. For instance, one poster takes the time to explain why he/ she doesn't like Magma, and people rate that person's post or topic lowly because they love Magma etc.  I think the rating should be amendable by the individuals.

I don't really think it's a good idea, and this topic is not meant to be taken tat seriously, but it could be fun.

I would rate this topic with a one.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 14:10
I love the fact that you yourself think it's a bad ideaLOL Gotta love that! 
My main gripe with something like that would be that PA would turn into Facebook only with experimental music. "Like"

I do think it's a fair discussion though, because every now and again somebody writes a particularly fine and thoughtful post(sometimes just funny as hell), and it ends up being wallpaper - last years' newspaper within the hour. With this, or something to that effect, we would be highlighting the worthwhile and perhaps spurring people on to be copycats. Nah, but maybe inspiring people to do better and perhaps even get thoughtful from time to time. Yeah ahem, like I said, I really don't know if I think this is such a good idea... 
I do "like" your intentions thoughBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 14:11
Yes, I would like to be able to rate posts and topics, but I wouldn't like to see it implemented, because it would not work the way it'd be meant to.

When the perfect world comes, then.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 14:18
Yes, both. 

I would like to able to do it, so vote that way, but I also think it would be a bad idea to implement it.

Perhaps to avoid abuse, if implementable, it would be good if only I could do it.  Seriously, if that were the case, which it never would be, then I wouldn't use it ever.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 14:26
Another idea I have had, and considered doing a topic for, is a topic for daily posts akin to the I like your review topic.  And, to be honest, I would also like a "Your Post Sucks" topic (I did that at an old forum I was a member of, but then I did a number of "sucks" topics).  This is not as tight a community as that one was, though.  We had far fewer members, and were all virtual friends, so it was much easier to rib each-other without any offence being taken.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 14:34
Seems messy and unhelpful to me. I vote no.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:07
Kind unrelated, but I'd actually like to have a system where you can like an individual's comment, or dislike their comments. I think it'd be easier to show people's opinions and preferences, because it's not all the time that everybody responds to a comment they agree or a disagree with, as you were saying for this idea too. I'd like to have both actually, might be a mouthful for the admins, but it would benefit to discussion. Approve
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:09
Yeah.......why not.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:26
I voted "yes" because I just love to watch the world burn...
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:37
This is a stupid idea.  I vote yes. 
Help me I'm falling!
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:43
I think a topic is automatically rated high when it gets lots of responses (i.e. interest) so it stays higher up the list for longer - similarly rated low when there is no interest.

Obviously after a while topic dies, as people lose interest and turn to something else - fair.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:55
That is about what my response was going to be other than I was going to say that it might be a good thing for some of the threads that I start because people might actually view the thread they might otherwise ignore so that they can say that they didn't like it.   LOL  Although, somehow I think getting a whole bunch of I don't likes might kind of hurt the feelings a bit. Cry
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 16:59
I frankly don't care, though I do think that rating comments/threads/whatever else would be really unnecessary. If you really care about the space that a single post can take up on a thread's page, than yes, enabling the rating wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Note: there is a difference between a thread and its topic. Exhibit A: "Am I reading this correctly?"

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I think a topic is automatically rated high when it gets lots of responses (i.e. interest) so it stays higher up the list for longer - similarly rated low when there is no interest.

Not true. Remember the "Factually greatest drummer" thread? Boy, ... . However, since we managed to go off topic there and suggest that other guys are best in their own ways, then what are we talking about?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 09 2012 at 17:03
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 18:56
Yes, so I can thumbs down everything not posted by Henry Plainview
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 22:32
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Not true. Remember the "Factually greatest drummer" thread? Boy, ... . However, since we managed to go off topic there and suggest that other guys are best in their own ways, then what are we talking about?

That thread was actually funny, though, which rendered it deserving (somewhat) of twenty pages.  A better example, I think, is the "If you're younger than 18" thread, which is still on the first page and has 18 pages, despite being one of the worst threads ever created (no offense to the OP, I'm sure he meant to start a good discussion, but unfortunately things don't always turn out as planned).
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 00:21
I would enjoy not having that ability.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 00:52
I like this idea much, much more than your "name the voter" idea. Like anything else, it would be subject to abuse, especially where familiarity breeds contempt. That would be the main difference between rating our reviews/threads and say, Amazon's product review "helpful or not" rating. Generally speaking people on Amazon don't know one another so the reviews are rated on their merit. Most of the frequent posters know each other and have somewhat of a background. For instance: I might rate everyone fairly except for anyone named, oh...I don't know....Ian. Those guys are an automatic 1 star.

But seriously, I believe most of us would like to know in general terms how we are doing review wise. Threads I couldn't give a Love Beach about.

Edited by Tapfret - October 27 2012 at 00:56
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 01:24
I rate this topic a 2.  For completionists only. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 16:54
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Seems messy and unhelpful to me. I vote no.

Everything here.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 17:43
No.  If you don't like a post or topic, and must express your disapproval, have the courage to say so and why.

Edited by Epignosis - November 14 2012 at 17:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>