Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands like Supertramp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands like Supertramp
    Posted: October 12 2012 at 07:26
I've started listening to Supertramp with "Crime of the Century" and "Breakfast in America" and I've recently got my hands on "Even in the quietest moments" which I found really great and so I was wondering if you can recommend me some similar bands? Also, I'm from Serbia so if you know some bands from this region that sound like them that would be great too.   
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 07:40
Not the biggest Supertramp fan, although Crime of the Century is an excellent album and Breakfast certainly has some stellar moments as well.  The only two bands which come to mind which at times have a sound similar to Supertramp are City Boy and Kayak, who both also have some similarities with early Queen as well.  I don't think I know any bands from Serbia.  Sorry, they don't let me out of the "home" very often.  Wink
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Trick of the lamb View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 08:01
Thanks for the recommendation, I liked Kayak. Thumbs Up

Eleanor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 09:51
Three of my all time favorite albums - Crime of the Century, Breakfast in America and Even in the Quietest Moments.   Don't forget the albums Crisis? What Crisis? and Famous Last Words too.   It is Roger Hodgson, co-founder of Supertramp, who gave us the great majority of the band's hits to include Dreamer, School, Hide in Your Shell, Breakfast in America, The Logical Song, Take the Long Way Home, Give a Little Bit, Fool's Overture, Even in the Quietest Moments, and so many more.    Many people don't realize that although Roger and Supertramp's other co-founder shared writing credit, they actually wrote and composed separately with each singing their own respective songs.

Roger departed the band in 1983 to leave the Los Angeles music scene to raise his children and lead a spiritual life but he has since released several fantastic solo albums.   I suggest you check these out too.   Roger is still touring and recently released a live album, Classics Live.   Check out his sites - http://www.RogerHodgson.com and http://www.facebook.com/RogerHodgsonOfficial.   You can see Roger performing his songs at http://www.youtube.com/MrRogerHodgson.    

Edited by Eleanor - October 12 2012 at 09:55
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 09:59
You might want to try 10cc - in my opinion their best albums are "The Original Soundtrack" (featuring their huge hit "I'm not in Love" which you probably know) and "How Dare You!".  The band had a lot of variety -- all four members sang lead and shared songwriting responsibilities, and it was very complexly crafted eclectic pop music.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 10:52
^ Good suggestion, I was thinking of them myself. How Dare You is a fantastic album! 
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 10:53
Might want to check out Be Bop Deluxe too. Smile 
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 13:42
I've always felt when IQ incorporates the Tenor and alto Saxophones in their songs they remind me of supertamp. Songs like CAPRICORN, SHOOTING ANGELS and SOMEWHERE IN TIME really have a SUPERTAMP feel to them.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 14:07
You could check out Rain Dances by Camel, not the most Supertramp sounding thing, but there's the soft factor within jazzy and melodic brilliance.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 15:01
Thanks Eleanor, I'll check those albums out .
HolyMoly, thanks, I was already about to check them out(and yeah, I only know "I'm not in love") Big smile
The Quiet One, I listen to Camel a lot, I know what you mean.
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations, I'll check it out these days. Thumbs Up
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 15:54
I don't know any bands that sound exactly like Supertramp, but I love them.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 20:55
14 Bis, a Brazilian band, sounds a lot like supertramp in the way that they did some awesome progressive pop. Some call them  the BR Supertramp
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 21:08
you might check old Aussie band Ariel and maybe Beggars Opera
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 01:13
Oh Ariel are very good. Thumbs Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 19:47
love the debut
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 13:02
Hi,

Gotta remember that some bands were quite "individualistic" and were not based on someone else's design, or concept or idea.

To copy Supertramp would be rather difficult because it is a very "personal" band in its style, and music design that works to express the lyrics even better, which is not a regular "rock'n'roll" concept. where the music design, chorus and bridge are more important than the lyrics.

All in all, if I would think, that some bands sounded like Supertramp, I remember a few Spanish bands in the early 80's and they did some really good stuff that sometimes sounded like Yes, other times like Supertramp ... but in my book, that takes away the meaning and importance of Supertramp's talent ... and places it in an area ... that (to me) is not fair ... it takes away the individuality of the very bands you are looking for and what they do!

I always say, that the one thing you should never look for is ... sounds like ... since, at that moment, you are no longer progressive! You are a copycat ... or all the neo-s we have.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 13:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Gotta remember that some bands were quite "individualistic" and were not based on someone else's design, or concept or idea.

To copy Supertramp would be rather difficult because it is a very "personal" band in its style, and music design that works to express the lyrics even better, which is not a regular "rock'n'roll" concept. where the music design, chorus and bridge are more important than the lyrics.

All in all, if I would think, that some bands sounded like Supertramp, I remember a few Spanish bands in the early 80's and they did some really good stuff that sometimes sounded like Yes, other times like Supertramp ... but in my book, that takes away the meaning and importance of Supertramp's talent ... and places it in an area ... that (to me) is not fair ... it takes away the individuality of the very bands you are looking for and what they do!

I always say, that the one thing you should never look for is ... sounds like ... since, at that moment, you are no longer progressive! You are a copycat ... or all the neo-s we have.

Well said.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
raul_siberian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 21:04
Kestrel? Shocked
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 15:36
Kestrel's great, thanks! Thumbs Up
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 16:44
They are a hard band to sound like.I love Supertramp.
But when I visited my hometown Copenhagen 2 summers ago,I found myself in Tivoli gardens,
one afternoon with the family.There was a free concert going on and these guys had a very unique sound.A few of their songs did get me to think of Supertramp,but with a twist.
They were called Eggs laid by tigers.There was one song that was so much like Supertramp called 'The hand(that signed the paper').You can hear this at soundcloud.com.
And as a coincidence their album was just released today on I-Tunes.
Yes, I don't play in the band and I am no friend of theirs.But I did talk to one of the guys on facebook.
Shake & bake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>