Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKerry Livgren Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 19:04
Three words: Seeds Of Change.

The two songs sung by Ronnie Dio (R.I.P.) are the best, but the whole album ranks as a classic, IMO.

Kerry's run with his Christian prog / rock band A.D. is also essential if you're really into Kerry's composing/songwriting.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 19:10
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

[QUOTE=prog4evr]There is another little known treasure by Livgren, One Of Several Possible Musiks.  It is listed in the reviews and Epignosis did a great review of it, including something I did not think of before, what could Kansas or Proto-kaw have done with these compositions.  It is all instrumental and Kerry did all the instruments, but he did use a drum machine in places which detracts from the good writing.

I've had this one since it came out and I only knew of it back then because I'd met a Kansas freak who clued me in to it. I ordered it from a mail order outfit that no longer exists. Beautiful textural instrumentals by Kerry, and superior to the Mind's Eye album he did years later (which disappointed me). I don't mind the electronic percussion. It was cool to see Kerry step into territory otherwise dominated by Tangerine Dream, Synergy and Jean-Michel Jarre. 

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 10:05
Hey Gabe, over here!

By the way, ONCE AGAIN I've mistakenly referred to `Masque' as the FIFTH Kansas album (because of the layout on the back of that 5 disc set we've bought), when it's really the THIRD.

Epignosis was kind and patient enough to correct my mistake in the first place!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 10:11
All cool Mike. I checked on the internet the actual chronological order of the albums straight after I got the box set because right from the start I wasn't sure it was correct. I then put the albums in the right order. Approve
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 10:59
Don't let the lower rating of Somewhere to Elsewhere dissuade you from picking this one up.  It is a fantastic album with some material that was written before Kansas formed.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 13:26
This is so weird, I was just thinking about posting something on this thread today and others have today!  I was going to ask if anyone has heard anything about Kerry's Cantada project that he has been working on for years or other news?  His website has not given any news update since last January.

^Oh yeah, "Somewhere to Elsewhere" is quite good IMHO.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 20:10
Just saw this update today on Kerry's website (although it was a January update), but it is good to hear some of the Kansas gang participating on the Cantata.  Guess it will be released one day...

"1/7/13: Surprise guest vocalists showed up to work on the Cantata. Steve Walsh, Rich Williams, and Dave Hope from Kansas all sang!"
ushuaia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 18:20
They are pretty good
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 23:22
Originally posted by Throw Sand Throw Sand wrote:

From what I've heard and seen, "The Pinnacle" was originally a 14-minute epic, but the record company made the group split it into two parts - "Mysteries and Mayhem" and "The Pinnacle". I can never listen to one without the other.
So true!
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2013 at 18:12
Was never a big fan of Kansas but I really like Proto-Kaw. Two very different things to my ears anyway.

What irony! As I was typing this, a song by Proto-Kaw came on the streaming audio. Spooky.

Edited by SquonkHunter - March 16 2013 at 18:14
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 15:10
Latest from Livgren's website...good to see him still working.  Not sure whats going on with the re-releases... 

6/18/13: Taking a (temporary) break from working on the Cantata to work on the re-releases of Proto-Kaw's "Before Became After" and "The Wait of Glory".

Edited by AEProgman - July 10 2013 at 15:11
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 19:36
Another update below from Kerry's website, looks like he was able to join Kansas for concert recently...wonder if there is any video footage of the concert, it would be good to see.

8/19/13: It was my great pleasure to be able to perform live this past weekend with Kansas at the 40th Anniversary Concert in Pittsburgh.
All the original members were there, (minus Robby Steinhardt), and the band performed with a Symphony Orchestra.
Special thanks to my Creator who has healed me sufficiently, (and miraculously), to be able to play.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 23:31
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Originally posted by Throw Sand Throw Sand wrote:

From what I've heard and seen, "The Pinnacle" was originally a 14-minute epic, but the record company made the group split it into two parts - "Mysteries and Mayhem" and "The Pinnacle". I can never listen to one without the other.
So true!

Same for me...the fade out of "M&M" seems really silly considering it matches up with the intro to The Pinnacle Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12