Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJon Lord - BBC Special

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Lord - BBC Special
    Posted: October 13 2012 at 17:19
Hi,

On the same spot where that Robert Wyatt special was, there was another very good and in many ways even better show, about the Symphonic thing in rock, and it spent some nice moments on Jon Lord and his piece with Deep Purple, that even his band mates had thought was stupid. Rock music was not about serious music for those kids!

But there are some wonderful moments that deserve recognition, and Jon saying that "... everything that I wanted in my mind ... there it was ... " (paraphrased) probably suggests that his band mates didn't like it, and what not, because it was not just another song or whatever, but it also tells you that there were people in rock music that wanted to do a lot more than just a rock song for radio. Jon is one of these.

There is another massive moment in there and it is one person (this documentary does not identify these folks properly) talking about the wonderful orchestral work of Frank Zappa ... which we do not appreciate because it would not fit as "progressive" as his other work can!

All in all, these were the great poets, writers, painters and musicians of our time and place ... and they make me feel proud of my generation ... because we did it ... right or wrong, good or bad ... we did it ... and this is what makes history ... and is the main source of "progressive" ... a desire to push the limit!

(Sorry had an issue earlier with the posting and I had to repost and I tried the first one with a space ... !)

Edited by moshkito - October 13 2012 at 17:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 03:04

Heard the Concerto for Group and Orchestra for the first time yesterday (the recent studio version featuring Joe Bonamassa , Steve Morse). Never realised what a brilliant peice of music it was. Much better than The Nice Five Bridges although that was pretty good. I will have to try and find this documentary. Probably someone has it on You tube.

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 10:32
My favorite Purps era was the pre-In Rock stuff when Lord sort of voiced the direction of the band....but also enjoyed Lord's input during the Mach II heyday...."Lazy"!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 15:07
Hi,

Not sure if I think it is "good" or not. I'll reserve judgement as I can not make up my mind on this ... as I have a massive history of classical music and modern music, and then rock, jazz and everything else.

I think it is very good. And the guts to compose that when most people are simply thinkink about a song for radio is important as well ... it tells you that your goal in life is more than the 15 minutes of fame!

If I listen to this with yesterday's ear ... I find it nice, but not original. It would be a Boston Pops of sorts for my ear, and while interesting, in is quite conventional in its aproach to expression, intent, and emotion as classical music. I could not help thinking that something was missing.

I have two other examples of this with "yesterday's ear":

1. Jan Garbarek, with a Symphony written for him by Keith Jarrett. I still have it, and when I bought that album 35 years ago, I did not like it too much. It was nice, but not great, and felt ... a bit contrived and not really well defined, other than ... just another jazz moment with an orchestra.

2. Darryl Way and Francis Monkman also had a Symphony for Violin right after Darryl Way spent his little time in Wolf, a smaller group right after his break from Curved Air. That piece, also sounded weak and not very strong then, but I could not figure out why and I think I was missing a rock bass, or similar to make the violin work harder and more dedicated to making the music more powerful.

When I listen to all three of these pieces today ... I get to the end, and I go ... WOW ... that's amazing ... because you and I know what it takes, and the guts required to put together something like that and tell radio and the record company to stuff it ... and do your thing! And the moment that brought this home for me, was hearing Jon Lord say ... "everything I had imagined in the piece ... there it was ... ", which is, one very powerful moment when the vision meets the reality, and you know you are not only alive, you know your life was worth living and you just got your "payoff" ... you can die now ... happy to no end ... knowing that your dream worked ... and worked well!

I can't say that Darryl Way, or Jan Garbarek will feel the same way ... but I hope they realize and understand, the depth and dedication and that someday, others will see that and will also try to play it and show ... the great work that you guys put together ... that rock fans do not know how to appreciate beyond the 3 or 4 minute limit that they have in their listening attention.

So ... give it a spin and a go. It might not synthesize today in your head ... but one day, after hearing Mozart, or Beethoven, you will put on one of these accidentally, and then go ... yeah ... that's allright ... that is quite allright!

And you will know that this generation off the 60's did do something about their music that is quite adventurous ... and worth listening to, with yesterday's ears, or today's ears, and for me, hopefully with tomorrow's ears as well!

But I can tell you that the "experience" is already set inside my own experience, so if I don't hear it again, it's ok ... the music feeling already lives inside me.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 12:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

2. Darryl Way and Francis Monkman also had a Symphony for Violin right after Darryl Way spent his little time in Wolf, a smaller group right after his break from Curved Air. That piece, also sounded weak and not very strong then, but I could not figure out why and I think I was missing a rock bass, or similar to make the violin work harder and more dedicated to making the music more powerful.

Is this what you're referring to? I like it for what it is.

Post Reply Post Reply