Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOniric project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oniric project
    Posted: October 13 2012 at 18:59
First I was in doubt if Oniric project with this site
http://www.oniric.it/
has anything to do with Oniric from this site:
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4861
Although both seem to come from Italy, they seem to be totally different artists.

Why I am suggesting Oniric project here, is because I listened to the album "Antigravity" (2010):

http://www.oniric.it/discography/antigravity/

and I have the feeling it would be a good addition to this site. I am not good in selecting genres, though.
This is the forth out of five albums, and all the other albums can be listened to on the same site, as well.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 15:23
Sent to the PMT.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 17:02
^ I am afraid this has nothing to do with metal, could someone from the suggestions team re-evaluate so that we don't waste time sending bands around
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 17:37
I don't know what is metal then, it seems. LOL

I listened to a bit of Antigravity album and it sounded rather heavy to me.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 17:41
^ never implied that Hug, just meant that the "heavy" moments might have been misleading, overall sound was a bit too soft for metal me thinks, that is why I ask for second opinion - if seconded, then so be it Wink
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 17:46
^ Yea... Maybe Heavy Prog would be better?

Anyway, I feel ashamed... I'm not the right person for this job.

Charles Bukowski
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 18:23
It happens all the time; don't be discouraged by one instance. 
oniric View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 06:11
Hello people

I am the author of the music you listened to. I hope I can shed some light to your discussion ;)

yes there are two "oniric" in Italy. Besides my own project, oniric is also a duo from...around Rome I believe. I would categorize their music as psichedelic, but I have heard only few of their songs and I might be wrong.

Oniric project...well...it's been now 8 years I compose music and I don't yet know how to define it! I have many influences. Some are prog, some are industrial, some are just plain rock. 
I've never felt bound to any of these genders and decided I would compose just the music I feel like composing.

The result is when one listens to my music, he/she can get quite confused and puzzled by the diversity from song to song.

This is also why when I first subscribed to Prog archives, the first comment was "It's almost progressive"...
...but what is progressive nowadays? Even MUSE are considered "progressive". I think progressive rock, as also defined in wikipedia, is a genre that is unconventional, free from the usual patterns of pop and rock songs.

In the end I consider myself "progressive" because most of my songs are unconventional and free from these patterns. But enough with labelling! I hope you've enjoyed Antigravity and will enjoy Raw (even though I admit: it's super-commercial :P). 

Please also feel free to check out the demo section on the site. It's got 100% new stuff that's coming up! 
http://www.oniric.it/discography/demos/

ciao from Italy! ^__^

p.s.: sorry if I misspelled something :P
I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear. (Freddie Mercury)
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 09:50
Thank you Walter, and your spelling is absolutely fine! Smile

Yes, the ''other'' Oniric is listed on ProgArchives as a Crossover artist. Will check on your progress here and let you know.

Edited by seventhsojourn - December 09 2012 at 09:52
oniric View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 03:14
awesome, Seventh!
You guys make me feel like I'm part of a family :)

Just to let you know:
- Some of my songs are playing also on Morow.com, one of my favorite web radios.
- I also actively sing in a band that covers some of my songs  (but we rearrange them in a classic-hard-rock way). The band is Soundrise (www.soundrise.net)
- Whenever I make a new song, I post it on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/OniricProject

take care! :)
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 11:21
Moved to the Crossover Team.
oniric View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 02:27
cool :)
oniric View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 06:36
Ah!
I was thinking about something, but I don'ět know if this is the right place where to address this issue. As you know my project's name is "Oniric", but since I have an homonym group, I sometimes change mine into "Oniric project". This is if the Crossover Team is undecided ;)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 09:40
I can confirm that this project is under evaluation by the Crossover team. The band has been entered in the progfreak database with a period after the band name to distinguish it from the other Oniric from Italy whom we already have on progfreak...also in Crossover! As far as I know this shouldn't cause any problems, but if any collab feels that we should use the name 'Oniric Project' instead for this one, then please amend the entry accordingly.

As for the music - I have listened to a fair chunk of 'Antigravity' and am now listening to the 2008 album 'time is mine'. This is fine progressive rock, and will easily get a 'yes' vote from me if Crossover is deemed to be the most appropriate sub to file the band in. A fair proportion of the music I have heard so far may fit nicely under the Heavy Prog umbrella though, so a careful listen to all five albums will be necessary make an accurate overall assessment of where they might best fit.

Dead cert for the site somewhere though in my book. Great music, of which you should feel really proud! Thumbs Up

What I can't understand is why there are only 60 'likes' for the band on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OniricProject Ermm

Well, it's 61 now...but who's counting! Tongue 

Edit: You can follow the progress of the evaluation by following this link: http://progfreak.com/Oniric--155102.html?path=pa/recent Smile

Edited by yam yam - January 05 2013 at 09:44
oniric View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2013 at 07:31
Dear yam yam

Thank you so very much for your appreciation of my music and the likes on Facebook.
My project started in 2004 and the other band's project started in 2005. That is why I also have the "oniric.it" and they have "the oniricband.org". I started using  the "oniric project" pseudonym because the other Oniric band found a label and started touring and making videos. They deserve to keep the "official oniric name".
Also: while I do have another band (www.soundrise.net) with which I also make my music, my "oniric project" has no band: it is entirely performed by myself. That is because I've never found, here in Italy, performers that would play my music as I intended it to be played.
I am still searching for bandmates.

Also I really suck at self promotion ;)
That is probably why I only have about 60 people knowing about my project. I produce a lot of music (5 albums and 2 more on the way!) but I don't spend much time and money to advertise. I am also a little shy when it comes to my productions and often think that I shouldn't promote because what I do it's not at the top level: I've never had anyone  take care of the mastering process for me..that costs too! :D

Thank you for providing me with the link for the evaluation process. I'll make sure I put the website on my friends list!

take care

Walter

Edited by oniric - January 06 2013 at 07:34
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2013 at 15:39
added
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
oniric View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 05:29
Thank you people for your interest in the matter! 
I shall update my info around the web so it's coherent with your assessment.

take care and...stay tuned for more stuff! :)

best regards

Walter
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2013 at 06:07
Your music would also almost certainly have been accepted in Heavy Prog if Crossover had decided to move it there, so I wouldn't worry too much about updating your info. Over the course of your five albums there are plenty of elements of both sub genres in evidence. We just use the sub genres on here as a guide for visitors to the site as to what sort of music to expect, and many artists have material which overlaps into two (or even more) subs.
It's a shame we can't assign more than one sub genre to an artist when we add them in order to give a more thorough overall picture, & there is currently a very interesting public debate on this very issue in progress here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91496
Sub genres are certainly not the 'be-all and end-all' that sometimes appears to be the case, and how you feel at a personal level about the music you yourself have written is far more important than how it is interpreted from a purely analytical perspective by collaborators on a site like this.

I hope you continue to write and record the music you enjoy performing, and that I also enjoy listening to. Smile  I look forward very much to more stuff from you! Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - January 21 2013 at 06:26
oniric View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 12:52
Hi

Just thought I'd let you know I've made a new album: "Migration"

You can listen to it on Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/oniricproject/sets/2016-migration

also on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56C2OfbT1r0

I hope it's worth your time.

take care
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 04:25
I enjoyed a lot your 2013 release, I think we've been in touch via mail actually. I thought you were already on PA.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>