Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Queen vs Black Sabbath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: who is your favourite bands
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [48.39%]
21 [33.87%]
11 [17.74%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DiamondDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queen vs Black Sabbath
    Posted: February 07 2013 at 03:24
This is easy for me - I don't like either of them much, but Queen seem far more inventive and melodic to me.
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote MonsterMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 07:11
Originally posted by otto pankrock

Sabbath
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 12:03
Hmmm, Queen for me although I love Sabbath too and started with music listening long time ago with both bands together (along with many others).

Concerns metal influences etc. it's clear Sabbath is the main influence for later metal bands. Queen was never hard rock or heavy metal band per se (although their first three records could easily be boxed in "hard rock" shelf). On the other side Queen truly had some songs with metal base. The Stone Cold Crazy is well known example (maybe for the Metallica cover later), but Ogre Battle is IMHO even better example (although less known) of speed metal song in times nobody knows such term.

But even for me it's hard to say  Queen is big metal influence for later bands. Queen itself was influenced by many musical genres and they in return influenced a lot of bands counting in it metal ones (May's guitar playing could have impact on many hard rock and metal guitarists though).

Btw. Brian May and Tony Iommi are good friends and I remember I saw them together in studio chatting and then playing some Shadows' song they both liked (Apache maybe?? I don't remeber exactly) - it was probably during Smoke On The Water song re-recording (Rock Aid Armenia in '88) and it was great fun seeing and listening them :-)
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 12:24
Though I recognize the value, creativity and inventiveness of Queen, Black Sabbath resonates more with me.

"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345