Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for fantasy Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for fantasy Prog Rock
    Posted: October 14 2012 at 18:22
Hello, allow me to briefly introduce myself. I'm new to this board and am a causal prog rock fan. I was first properly introduced to it by the adult swim cartoon The Venture Bros., in which progressive rock is the secret inspiration behind all super-science. It's a marvelous show, if you've never seen it your life is just a little bit sadder, and this must be rectified immediately.

Anyhoo, returning to my point. I'm also a hobbyist video editor, working in the realm of fanediting. This is a community of people who take films and re-edit them to either fix problems, retell the story in a different way, or sometimes try and make something entirely original. I'm currently working on my first fanedit (a complete restructuring of Batman & Robin as an artsy fartsy b/w film. I have a trailer on youtube if ur interested :P) but have recently been considering a second project...

James Cameron's Avatar is, in my opinion, a very bland film: the dialogue and the plot are simply tedious beyond belief. However, visually it is stunning. The special effects are wonderful, which is rather unusual for a film so steeped in the fantasy genre (sci fi of course fares much better).

In fact, the visuals of the film remind me very much of the art found on many prog rock album covers. Floating islands, natives riding dragons attacking mechanical armies from the future. This in turn gave me a rather interesting idea: to sync the film up with an album, similar to how people align Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon, or perhaps with a similar feel to the 80s animation Heavy Metal. Basically turn Avatar into something of a musical, or a visual accompaniment to a particular album.

Another faneditor did something similar to this a while back, combinging the film Conan the Barbarian with the music of the melodic folkmetal band Manowar.

But, athough I am a fan of progressive rock, my knowledge of the artists, albums and concepts is extremely limited. Which is why, kind strangers, my quest has brought me to your shores. Give me the gifts of your knowledge and wisdom that I may go out and slay the evil blandness that threatens our DVD collections.

The criteria are twofold.
1) It is a good album
2) It is a relevant album. Lyrically it covers war, natives, dragons, etc. This is not essential, but preferable.

And so I leave this - unexpectedly long and rambly - request in your hands. Do with it as you will.

Peace
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 18:48
Hmmmm, how about:

Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7912

A double CD, the first disc is comprised of two long epics, with the second disc a range of folk, classical, orchestral and medieval prog ballads!

You can find the lyrics here:

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Glass_Hammer:The_Inconsolable_Secret_(2005)

Especially look at the lyrics of the first two songs `A Maker Of Crowns' and `The Knight Of The North'.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it's the first album I thought of! Good luck with your search!
JamesYoungField View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 18:49
Relayer by Yes
1) It's a TERRIFIC album.
2) lyrics cover war and battle. Music brings fantasy-oriented images to mind.

or

Caress of Steel by Rush
1) It's a great album
2) lyrics cover fantasy, evil lords, battle and such. Music also fits those themes.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 19:17
James is right, `Relayer' by Yes is a superb suggestion!

Cold lyrics, and there's a huge extended instrumental section in the middle where the music is full of mindless, tuneless, harsh thrashing and distorted violent noise! Perfect for some battle footage!
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 23:29
When I think 'fantasy prog album' Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow immediately springs to mind. I find it to be a lot more fantastical and immersing than Relayer. But Relayer might work better. I dunno.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2012 at 23:35
I'm thinking maybe A Farewell To Kings by Rush. Has that fantasy feel and a war-ish beat. My FAVORITE Rush album (I think).

EDIT: Oh, and there's no lyrics, but Romantic Warrior by Return To Forever.

The 2nd EDIT: Foxtrot by Genesis!! You must've heard of this album. Revolutionary. Has a purely fantastical sound and parts of Supper's Ready (the 23 minute epic, possibly the best prog song in history) at a part, a battle's taking place.

Edited by Raccoon - October 14 2012 at 23:41
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 00:01
ahh yes thanks for reminding me - Camel's The Snow Goose sounds like a fantasy soundtrack also.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 00:40
You could cop out and unimaginatively go for Bo Hanson's 70's stunner `Lord Of The Rings', or even Mostly Autumn's `Music for The Lord Of The Rings'!

You know, I think I might have even heard of a movie version of that you could pull some footage from!   
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 01:22
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hmmmm, how about:

Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7912

A double CD, the first disc is comprised of two long epics, with the second disc a range of folk, classical, orchestral and medieval prog ballads!

You can find the lyrics here:

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Glass_Hammer:The_Inconsolable_Secret_(2005)

Especially look at the lyrics of the first two songs `A Maker Of Crowns' and `The Knight Of The North'.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it's the first album I thought of! Good luck with your search!
also Shadowlands , Lex Rex and Chronomotree have a lot of fantasy themes ... and dragons! TIS is probably Glass Hammers best album thoughThumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 01:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

also Shadowlands , Lex Rex and Chronomotree have a lot of fantasy themes ... and dragons! TIS is probably Glass Hammers best album thoughThumbs Up

Richard! HA! Just mere minutes ago I finished my mini Hammer-a-thon at work, starting with `Inconsolable' (both discs!), `Lex' and finally `Shadowlands'! Looking forward to the new album too!

I wish we could get some female vocals again, perhaps to go along with Jon on the `newer' Hammer albums, I miss them! As much as Jon is crafting a new identity for them, I think the female vocals were a hugely defining aspect of those last several albums!

At the risk of drifting off-topic, all of their albums are pretty much full of fantasy lyrics full of potential for the original poster!
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 16:35
James Young & Aussie Bird are SO right!  Relayer was the first album I got by Yes (in 1975 - a year after it came out), and it has always been my favorite!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 16:40
Ok. Got a kind of a neat one here. I think Pyramaze's first 2 albums THE MELANCHOLY BEAST and THE LEGEND O THE BONE CARVER offer up that real, storm the castle like sound. It's pure D&D. I rather like it too, but you have to be in the mood for it. Give it a spin.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 18:53
Most of what comes to me are individual songs. Whole albums with a sci-fi/fantasy or war theme are tough to find even in Prog, I think, in spite of its reputation. White Mountain and the Knife off the Genesis album, Trespass might be good suggestions. Return of the Giant Hogweed, Musical Box and Fountain of Salmacis off the Genesis album, Nursery Cryme, are recommended. The Genesis album, Foxtrot, has the already mentioned Supper's Ready as well as Watcher of the skies. The Genesis album, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, would fit your prescription, I think, especially sides 3 and 4. There's a Jade warrior song called Three Horned Dragon King off of the album, Released. Other later Jade Warrior albums from Floating World onward are purely instrumental, but have an exotic feel that could mesh with a fantasy theme. I don't really like Hawkwind, But they have had Michael Moorcock as a lyricist at times, and I have to respect that. They did an album based on Moorcock's Elric series in one case. Other things will probably occur to me later.
javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 21:58
If you're in the mood for folkier sounds, try Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, the first Gryphon album... Most of those bands have "ye olde" musical motifs and lyrics, which is kinda nice to hear from time to time.
And lots of Uriah Heep songs and albums have this fantasy thing.

http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 01:23

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Richard! HA! Just mere minutes ago I finished my mini Hammer-a-thon at work, starting with `Inconsolable' (both discs!), `Lex' and finally `Shadowlands'! Looking forward to the new album too!

I wish we could get some female vocals again, perhaps to go along with Jon on the `newer' Hammer albums, I miss them! As much as Jon is crafting a new identity for them, I think the female vocals were a hugely defining aspect of those last several albums!

At the risk of drifting off-topic, all of their albums are pretty much full of fantasy lyrics full of potential for the original poster!
I love the female vocals especially Susie B's. The DVD's Lex Live and Live At Belmont are a real pleasure in this regard.
The album Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted seemed to be a sort of send off for Susie. Perhaps they felt they had done has much with her as they could and needed to develop in a slightly different direction?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 02:07
I always assumed `Broken Hearted' was a definate send off to Susie, especially considering she was front and center on the front cover too - a nice gesture! The varierty of shorter tracks on that album was a real showcase to her diversity as well. That album is hardly the dud album it's sometimes considered to be.

I was going to ask what you thought of the live DVD's! I've got two of them, I think they're the same ones you've listed!

Is there a proper Glass Hammer thread we could carry this off-topic discussion on in?!
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 00:18
Just remembered!! In The Land Of Grey and Pink by Caravan would be perfect. 
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 01:40

I always assumed `Broken Hearted' was a definate send off to Susie, especially considering she was front and center on the front cover too - a nice gesture! The varierty of shorter tracks on that album was a real showcase to her diversity as well. That album is hardly the dud album it's sometimes considered to be.

I was going to ask what you thought of the live DVD's! I've got two of them, I think they're the same ones you've listed!

Is there a proper Glass Hammer thread we could carry this off-topic discussion on in?!
There is the Perilious thread on the Prog News forum. I don't think there is an appreciation thread but could be wrong.
I only have the download version of Three Cheers so can't comment on the cover but I gave it 5 stars and much prefer it to the recent albums. HAve high hopes for Perilious. Don't mind the Yes style vocals as such but would to hear more melody and warmth which I think was lacking on If.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 02:12
Richard, I'll head to the `Perilous' thread! Catch you there!

PS - Fantasy prog rules! Staying on topic!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Ok. Got a kind of a neat one here. I think Pyramaze's first 2 albums THE MELANCHOLY BEAST and THE LEGEND O THE BONE CARVER offer up that real, storm the castle like sound. It's pure D&D. I rather like it too, but you have to be in the mood for it. Give it a spin.

Ok. So I know a lot of religious zealots would have my head for saying this but SAVIOUR MACHINE's LEGEND PT 1,2,3 are great conceptual fantasy/mythical albums. It deals with the entire story of The book of Revalations, which is the last chapter in the bible via 2nd testament. Say what you will, but Revalations is nothing more than a really great story to me and nothing else. Anyway, check out those 3 albums. They are incredible and offer up some of the greatest music that I've ever heard.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>