Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Maple for Post/Math

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Maple for Post/Math
    Posted: October 20 2012 at 11:38
U.S. Maple are an experimental rock group from Chicago. Formed in 1995 and disbanded in 2007, they have released 5 albums. I have heard one, Long Hair in Three Stages and it seems like the band would fit well in Avant Prog or maybe even Math Rock, depending on how the evaluation goes. Here's some tracks:

Edited by irrelevant - July 24 2018 at 12:58
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 20:17
Checked them ... cool stuffs indeed, anyway;
Originally posted by Math rock 
definition Math rock definition wrote:

Math Rock is a genre that emerged in the late 80's and that was influenced by both the intricacies of progressive and avant-garde rock - King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Henry Cow - and 20th century composers such as Steve Reich and John Cage. The music is characterized by complex structures, angular melodies and constant abrupt changes in tempo and time signature. The name Math Rock is a term that grew out of the Chicago scene and the artists working with engineer Steve Albini in an effort to describe the new style.

The basic building blocks of Math Rock can be traced back to the late 60's and 70's where Progressive Rock artists were making more elaborate compositions than the standard rock bands and were experimenting with song structures. Early Avant-garde groups like Massacre, and artists such as Captain Beefheart and John Zorn were highly influential to Math Rock bands and traces of their music can still be heard throughout the genre. Another big influence to the Math Rock approach was Slint with their album "Spiderland" which showcased many techniques that Math Rock bands will follow in the future. Punk also had significant impact on the sound of Math Rock bands. Other notable influences are: Post-Rock, Heavy Metal, and Jazz.

Although there are Math Rock bands in different countries around the world, most reside in the United States, the Midwest in particular, and tend to be divided by regions: Pittsburgh bands (Don Caballero, Six Horse) Chicago bands (Shellac, U.S. Maple), Ohio bands (Keelhaul, Craw) Louisville bands (June 44, Rodan, The For Carnation, Crain), and San Diego bands (Drive Like Jehu, Tristeza) among others on both coasts. Japan was also an important country in the Math Rock genre with bands like Ruins and Zeni Geva.
Why aren't they in Math? Confused
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2012 at 05:18
Seems Shellac aren't in math either, but Shellac don't have much of a prog quotient, and if I remember correctly, there are boundaries of sorts in place where not every single post-rock or math-rock band will be cleared into the archives if there's no prog in the artist's music. U.S. Maple, while are a bit mathy, have the avant-prog edge IMO, so I'd put them there, using math-rock as the place where they can be moved if the avant team feel they don't fit in avant. But it's kinda out of my hands now. Anyway I live in hope. Good to hear you like their stuff Keishiro, I quite enjoy it too. Smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2012 at 10:18
Sent to Math Rock.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2012 at 20:46
a hard sell for Math;  highly experimental and the vast majority of their material is not Mathrock (they have at least five albums).    I will listen further to the samples on Amazon but at the moment my vote would be No.

GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 10:11
If you have Captn Beef on the Archives you have to put them as well... Extreme use of the exploding note theory. And for the sound and the rhythm I dont see a problem with math as well... Why did this never get properly evaluated. They belong here.

In my personal opinion

Every album except for Talker (no math at all) could be called a math rock album at least partially and the first one is a very influential math masterpiece.

https://www.thoughtco.com/top-math-rock-albums-94496

And as you see... I am not alone with this opinion.

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - July 11 2018 at 10:21
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 00:49
They aren't on Progfreak it seems, so I don't know if they've ever been evaluated. Honestly, regardless what the press writes, I'd go for Avant. 

Edited by octopus-4 - July 24 2018 at 00:50
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 06:42
When Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 seem to be in progarchives (to my big suprise), why not U.S. Maple? But then Trumans Water should also be here:
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:00
[QUOTE=Mortte]
When Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 seem to be in progarchives (to my big suprise), why not U.S. Maple? [QUOTE]
Because we are few, humans and volunteers.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 12:55
Avant-prog? My early days on the site came back to haunt me lol

So between then and now I've got to know U.S. Maple very well; around four/five years ago they were my very favourite band. The thing is with U.S. Maple is that they may be considered too loose (especially on Sang Phat Editor and Talker) to be real math rock, as they often lacked that mechanical technicality that is so common in the genre. However, their compositions (yes, they certainly are) often employ a certain stuttering, group-impulsive lack of pulse which could be considered more complex than uncommon time signatures. A tight looseness, if you will. You can also find that when the band is playing more metronomic rhythms that there's non 4/4 sections scattered throughout their discography. 

What could be overlooked is the post-rock-y vibes that they can sometimes give off on the post-Sang Phat albums. It's just that it's all quite dry. 

Basically, listen to Long Hair in Three Stages, 'cause out of their five albums, that's the closest album stylistically that could help them get in here; their most straight-up math rock album. 
And hey, check out the genre tags on RYM (not that that's mattered in the past). 3/5 with math rock primaries, the rest have it as secondary. This sums it up well, I feel - not the absolute math-monstrosity band to end them all, but still very valid and of course a key part of the scene. 

I'd vote yes in the post/math category. 
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 13:03
I've edited the thread title to help my cause LOL

Though avant surely isn't the most ridiculous suggestion, it would be my second pick. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 13:15
I say, I need more listens, and bring in both the teams makes my position a bit complicated.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 19:11
I'd take them in Avant.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 00:11
There's one Avant and one post members who would take it. I must abstain even if I have a preference for Avant.
I'd like to hear at least one more Post member and Keishiro's opinions.

Then I may take care of the addition regardless the chart.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 12:29
What happened?

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 12:33
It fell out of my focus. I have to check.
Apologies but currently there are few collabs and many of us are bysy with "life".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 09:17
Just reminding. No Offense.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 09:22
During the last days I've been trying to clean our backlig a bit, but ir's very long and currently there are very few active members.
If I remember correctly US Maple are still waiting for the third vote to be "cleared".
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 09:26
Sorry, I rwmembered wrongly. They remained in a limbo. Let's start with Avant first
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 10:48
Even if the literature puts them in Math, I have added them to the Avant chart. 
 Post Reply Post Reply