Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on Master of Reality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 04:23
I think the s/t will always be their greatest simply because of the impact it had and how many future styles of metal it influenced. But I really love all the early Sabbath albums, classic band without a doubt.

a friend and i have also wondered what would have happened if Sabbath became a psych rock band. They certainly could capture very nice stoned atmospheres with songs like Planet Caravan...

Edited by Sumdeus - October 26 2012 at 04:24
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 21:19
Loved the early BS (Ozzie) years.  I think it is a tie for me between Paranoid and Sabotage (love the Writ) for the #1 spot.  The rest were very close behind, except for the last couple even though they still had their moments, "Never say die" title track and "You can't Change Me" from Technical Ectasy.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 03:34
I never knew so many people didn't like Sweat Leaf, I always considered MOR to be a great album with no weak moments especially not the opener. I love this album it presents Sabbath at their heaviest. I wouldn't say it's their best but I always thought it was better than Vol. 4 which always seemed uneven in sound quality, some tracks sound good but others sound horrible( Cornucopia, Under The Sun). I might be a minority around here but I always liked Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die better than those two as classic as they are.

I cant' get enough of that Vol. 4 first minute opener....tiniiiiiiii ti ti ti tiiiiiiiiii wi wiiiiiii ti tininininini < guitar solo Cool
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 10:09
You don't like Under The Sun? I think it is epicly awesome. It's interesting to me that people consider MOR their heaviest. I think Vol. 4 is far heavier. Maybe "Changes" detracts from that for most people, but not for me.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2012 at 14:38
^ I have to agree that Vol.4 is the heavier album but MOR is a fine album and much improved from Paranoid IMO. 
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 17:12
I find Master Of Reality to be Sabbath's most consistently heavy album, however. there are some songs - "Tomorrow's Dream", "Cornucopia", "Under The Sun", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", "Hole In The Sky", "Symptom Of The Universe", "Megalomania" - that could give the songs on that album a run for its money in terms of heavy.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 17:17
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

I never knew so many people didn't like Sweat Leaf, I always considered MOR to be a great album with no weak moments especially not the opener. I love this album it presents Sabbath at their heaviest. I wouldn't say it's their best but I always thought it was better than Vol. 4 which always seemed uneven in sound quality, some tracks sound good but others sound horrible( Cornucopia, Under The Sun). I might be a minority around here but I always liked Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die better than those two as classic as they are.I cant' get enough of that Vol. 4 first minute opener....tiniiiiiiii ti ti ti tiiiiiiiiii wi wiiiiiii ti tininininini < guitar solo Cool

Blasphemy!! Cornucopia and Under the Sun are among my absolute faves from that album. I especially adore the convoluted nature of Cornucopia's riff. May just be the most confused in all of rock. Yummy!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 00:09
Let's see - Master Of Reality..............great album, though I consider it a step down from their previous 2 albums.  Real 'metallic' production, but at the same time, a frad thin and tinny.  Top tracks - Children of The Grave, Orchid and Into the Void. 
BORA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 13:08
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Some poeple seem to have a problem with the production of some of `Master', I noticed some tracks are almost like demos, others have a much fuller sound. I've argued endlessly with a friend about this over the years, saying he can't stand the album because of the sound quality, I say the rougher stuff gives the album it's identity and more of a `stoner rock' sound?

You may want to be aware that the album had been reissued on CD by some different labels.
The sound quality on one of those (bought in Sydney) is extremely muddy and just horrible.
There are better copies in circulation and chances are that you and your friend must have heard two different reissues.

BTW, I thoroughly enjoy the album.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 12:04
It is a pretty good album. Sweet Leaf, Children of The Grave and Into The Void are CLASSICS.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
ShipOfFools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 15:39
I actually don't think Master of Reality is their best album. My vote is for Paranoid. 

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 12:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

I never knew so many people didn't like Sweat Leaf, I always considered MOR to be a great album with no weak moments especially not the opener. I love this album it presents Sabbath at their heaviest. I wouldn't say it's their best but I always thought it was better than Vol. 4 which always seemed uneven in sound quality, some tracks sound good but others sound horrible( Cornucopia, Under The Sun). I might be a minority around here but I always liked Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die better than those two as classic as they are.I cant' get enough of that Vol. 4 first minute opener....tiniiiiiiii ti ti ti tiiiiiiiiii wi wiiiiiii ti tininininini < guitar solo Cool

Blasphemy!! Cornucopia and Under the Sun are among my absolute faves from that album. I especially adore the convoluted nature of Cornucopia's riff. May just be the most confused in all of rock. Yummy!

Damn it, I just saw your post Dave. I didn't mean they were horrible songs, far from it, I love every minute of every song in their 70's albums. My copy of the album (reissued in 1986) has those two songs I mentioned in a very poor quality. I actually never checked more recent reissues of this album to see if this changed.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 19:12
They peaked with Masters....their first three albums solidified their sound; everything after is too cluttered, too noisy or playing away from their strengths.  Vol. 4 is listenable but Never Say Die and especially Technical Ecstasy find the band forcing, not forging, a new sound.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Tristan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 17:47
I find I like MOR and V4 equally as Paranoid is my favorite.......Fairies Wear Boots is my favorite BS song..
Sweet Leaf and Children of the Grave vs. Wheel of Confusion and Under the Sun 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12