Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed(Pre/Post-)Baroque + Rock Band Instruments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 12:12
Now? THE BWV piece that "hooked" me into those rock-geared-old-music voyages.

NB: If there's an ad before the video, it means that the piece is using some existing published audio track (here organist Wolfgang Zerer).

Edited by jayem - August 28 2015 at 15:24
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 15:30
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Teo, what's your opinion of Wendy Carlos' Switched On Bach?

I find it well done, if you like that type of thing. For my taste it is horrendous though. The counterpoint and the general idea is well preserved considering the instruments being used. But I don't enjoy it. Not at all. I used to have the LP (well, my dad actually) and even as a child I found it funny. As I got more and more into the Master's music as I was growing up, I found Carlos' work devoid of any interest.

"Switched on Bach" is not as expressive as hearing an orchestral Brandenburg Concerto or J Powers Biggs blasting through the Toccata and Fugue in D minor, but I think it's still cool for a couple of reasons.  First it introduced the music of JSB to many people who otherwise would never have heard it in their ordinary listening.  Second, it came at a time when the Moog had been only used for sound effects or novelty records...as such, it proved the theory that this new invention was capable of producing "serious" music.  I liken that to Frank Zappa's "Francesco Zappa" album where his synclavier is used for a similar "proof of concept".

Indeed, but I would say very far from as expressive as hearing an orchestral Brandenburg Concerto. Personally Wendy Carlos' didn't impress me, not even his other works. For this sort of music, I prefer pretty more Pell Mell's few works, even admiting that Wendy Carlos is hell of a virtuoso.

By the way that some electronic instruments are being concerned, once I read something very cleverly pointed out by Gerinski in an old thread: "It's not that difficult to sound spectacular with a powerful synth, but playing classical piano can not be pretended, either you can or you can not." This statement is unfairly bypassed nowadays.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 15:45
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

How about the sexual thing in jazz

I'm gradually finding out how interesting and intriguing is the way Jazz music (and even more its derivations) is managing to keep itself much more alive in Internet music forums if compared to the Classical Music fate (except post-war composers, I guess.) Well, saying quite hipothetically, if the latter didn't exist then perhaps I would have had better chances to be a Jazz "nut", I don't know really, maybe the available time today isn't enough for me to get more into it. My only issue with the Jazz that I sometimes listened to so far is maybe that I just find in this music the overall virtuosity mostly in service of its beauty of texture and the improvisation as well - I'm not criticizing it at all frankly, no doubt that its atmosphere in general is capable of evoking a more strongly seductive appeal, and often expressing a great sensual appeal too, but OK this is mostly what I personally felt about jazz, in a very subjective way really.

I know very few of Jazz, so I would like to know if it is easy to find other Jazz music with other moods. To be more clear, I mean in Classical Music for example it is pretty common to find fluctuations between let's say "deep melancholy" (or any whatever more inward-looking mood) combined with a very manic kind of energy, like wanting to conquer the world, to say the least. Literally speaking, it’s not just a shift from one movement to the next, it’s often within the same musical gesture, or motif, or phrase.

I really would like to find for example a Jazz composer that could express something that’s very different from his own life at the time – I often feel that when Mozart’s music is at its purest it was often when his life was at its messiest (just my own feelings anyway.) But just what most profoundly strikes me of his music is when I feel from it an extremely deep and painful expression of longing, something very common in Chopin's too for instance, but in the case of the former is where I feel the REAL Mozart "speaking" to me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 16:01
Sorry for not (by now) recommending something concerned to this interesting thread, but when it comes to recommendations, I think one tends to suggest his favourite music, mine is that in which the composer puts all his virtuosity in service of a varied emotional (and strongly melodic) pallete, whose sophistication be capable of expressing a sublime grace, with the tenderness of its subtleties having a tremendous depth and impact without having any sort of weight - well this is Classical Music Wink

Edited by Rick Robson - April 21 2015 at 16:02

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 12:47
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Sorry for not (by now) recommending something concerned to this interesting thread

You certainly don't have to feel sorry or apologize.

I guess each and every prog lover here is looking for all what you're talking about in a way or another, being deeply touched or evading from one's messy life, longing, feeling in deepest ecstatic communion with the artist/composer, enjoying grace and delicacy etc.

Edited by jayem - April 23 2015 at 05:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 17:34
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Sorry for not (by now) recommending something concerned to this interesting thread

You certainly don't have to feel sorry or apologize.

I guess each and every prog lover here is looking for all what you're talking about for in a way or another, being deeply touched or evading from one's messy life, longing, feeling in deepest ecstatic communion with the artist/composer, enjoying grace and delicacy etc.

Right on, I realize it too, and it's also why I'm here! Thumbs Up

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:37
Since the probability is very low (c'mon!) that there should be only two or three humans on the whole Earth to be fond of /  keen on celebrating the existence of / those home renderings I upload, here we have. BWV 643: it has become the piece-I-want-to-hear-right-after-nr-641 (642 skipped for now, but maybe one day...)

Edited by jayem - September 01 2015 at 06:24
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 16:23
One's list of top fav Bach pieces can be long... A new one here :

...along with a couple of fresh remixes:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234