Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progs' best Keyboard players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 13:49
  • Keith Emersom
  • Rick Wakeman
  • Jordon Rudas
  • Tony Banks
  • John Tout
  • Chick Corea
  • Jan Hammer
  • George Duke
  • Joe Zawinul
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 09:41
Richard Wright
The most dangerous man in America.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:26
Kerry Minnear!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
motorheadace1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadace1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 02:09
Dave greenfield of the stranglers is a genius and 'golden brown' doesn't get the air play it used to. but i put it on and everyone is wow! this is amazing. they still make the rounds. Werner of Jane is a keyboard player with tricks up-his sleeve.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:22
The Nocenzi Brothers...freakin' keyboard mafia!
Tony Banks, Martion Orford, Dave Stewart, Patrick Moraz and  
John Tout was a damn fine pianist IMHO.

Edited by deafmoon - August 13 2018 at 11:26
Deafmoon
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 15:19
I guess I'm just not very original when I say Emerson and Wakeman.

However, I've seen lots of love thrown Jordan Rudess' way.  I would also throw some at his two predecessors, Derek Sherinen and especially Kevin Moore.  
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 13:55
Anyone here hear E.L.P.'s Live at the Mar Y Sol Festival '72 since its 2011 CD release. A real testament to how good a keyboardist Keith was and just a clean, well-recorded performance (and containing Tarkus and Pictures At An Exhibition [See Neu!mann's excellent review on the Prog Archives site]). Then there's Banks, Wakeman, and Banton who come to mind with guys like Robin Lumley and Dave Stewart somewhere in the mix.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 00:21
Originally posted by motorheadace1 motorheadace1 wrote:

Dave greenfield of the stranglers is a genius and 'golden brown' doesn't get the air play it used to. but i put it on and everyone is wow! this is amazing. they still make the rounds. Werner of Jane is a keyboard player with tricks up-his sleeve.

My favourite synth solo of all time is on Nice N Sleazy and this is coming from a massive Emerson fan!
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 09:49
Any mentions of Will Gregory from Goldfrapp?
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsnowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:55
Rick Wakeman
Keith Emerson
George Duke
John Evan
John Lord
Herbie Hancock
Peter Bardens
The Nocenzi brothers(Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso)
Kerry Minnear- One of the most talented virtuoso musicians- only keryboardist I know who does an xylophone solo.
Tony Banks- In the 70's someone in prog ranked him as the 11th most talented keyboardist and he responded, "Who the F_ck are the other 10 keyboardists"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 20:29
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

The Nocenzi Brothers...freakin' keyboard mafia!
Tony Banks, Martion Orford, Dave Stewart, Patrick Moraz and  
John Tout was a damn fine pianist IMHO.

For me John Tout is just as important for the classic sound of Renaissance that I love as Annie Haslam herself. It's just the combination of that voice with that piano.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 22:23
The best?

Peter Bardens
Patrick Moraz
Jordan Rudess
Kit Watkins
Ray Manzarek (the doors were prog right? Early prog)
Tomas Bodin
Geddy Lee (obviously he played keyboards too)
Geoff Downes
Kerry Minnear
Mike Pinder
Martin Orford
Mark Kelly
Tony Kaye
Richard Barbieri
Larry Fast
Jan Hammer

Then of course there are the obvious ones such as:

Tony Banks
Rick Wakeman
Vangelis
Keith Emerson
Eddie Jobson

Several others

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 22:31
[Tony Banks- In the 70's someone in prog ranked him as the 11th most talented keyboardist and he responded, "Who the F_ck are the other 10 keyboardists"]

It wasn't in the 70's. It was just before his prog god award and according to the journalist he was ranked twelfth best keyboardist(not 11). Tony's response was "who the f**k were the other eleven?" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUK3QLAvH6Q

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 19 2018 at 22:32
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 16:50
Rick Wright,I hate when people says Pink Floyd is underrated Rick Wright is the ne who gives the more emotions and he's a master of chord progression. Rick Wakeman is my 2nd favorite,Keith Emerson is my third favorite and the Tony Banks,Patrick Moraz and Kerry Minear.
Dragged down by the stone
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 11:54
That guy from area... he is a genious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213