Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progs' best Keyboard players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 09:16
Conlon Nancarrow, given a broader definition of prog.

rotten hound of the burnie crew
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 09:24
^Given a broader definition of "keyboard player" as well, but I agree that he is amazing.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 13:43
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Vincent Crane, y'all. Come on!
I mentioned him in my previous post.Thumbs Up Fantastic player! (RIP)

Edited by presdoug - October 25 2012 at 13:44
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 13:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I would like to see Par Lindh get a bit more attention. A big devotee of Emerson and Wakeman but has created some very nice original music with his band (PLP)
Over the last ten years or so I would say him , Fred Schendel (Glass Hammer) and Rob Reed (Magenta) are my favourites.
The seventies was overflowing with great prog keyboard players. Aside from Emerson, Wakeman and Banks:
Patrick Moraz
Eddie Jobson
Rod Argent
Jon Lord (RIP)
Dave Greenslade
Vangelis
Ton Sherpenzeel (Kayak)
Kerry Minnear
and many more

The eighties saw the likes Martin Orford,Clive Nolan ,Mark Kelly continuing the fine tradition. Great keyboard players are part of the very fabric of prog rock imo.
That's interesting that you mention Par Lindh, Richard. In 1999, he and his group participated in a couple of concerts in St. Louis, Missouri that were in part a Triumvirat tribute concert. Triumvirat singer Barry Palmer flew over from England, and Par Lindh and his group backed Palmer in some Triumvirat songs, as well as PLP playing some of their own music, and even some early ELP. Palmer also did some of his solo album songs, and also present was the group Alaska, backing him and others,as well.
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 14:24
Mike Ratledge of Soft Machine is another favorite of mine. Love his work, and I mean he just looks so goddamn cool

and also not necesarily purely prog but Chick Corea is up there as one of my favorite keyboard players for sure, especialyl of the electric piano stuff he did on the early Return To Forever albums

Edited by Sumdeus - October 25 2012 at 14:25
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 15:31
Some of my favourites:
Tony Banks Bowdown
Ray Manzarek
Edgar Froese
Irmin Schmidt
Keith Emerson 
Rick Wakeman
Chick Corea
Herbie Hancock
Kerry Minnear
Michael Ratledge
Brian Eno
and Kraftwerk!

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - October 25 2012 at 15:37
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 00:06
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

Mike Ratledge of Soft Machine is another favorite of mine. Love his work, and I mean he just looks so goddamn cool

and also not necesarily purely prog but Chick Corea is up there as one of my favorite keyboard players for sure, especialyl of the electric piano stuff he did on the early Return To Forever albums
Oh Yeah !!  Mike Ratledge.  He has taste, technique, he solos for minutes on end and he has a friggin' wonderful sound.  Really takes the 'Lowrey' name to another level (damn, I want a fuzz-box.............damn I need a Holiday Deluxe too.......(Damn, Richard Wright is also another natural..............damn, I want a Farfisa Professional Duo......) Pity I play the bass AngryAngry
watermouse View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 00:12
rob moog
florian fricke
klaus schulze
Dieter Moebius
Conrad schnitzler
karl stockhausen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 01:55
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I would like to see Par Lindh get a bit more attention. A big devotee of Emerson and Wakeman but has created some very nice original music with his band (PLP)
Over the last ten years or so I would say him , Fred Schendel (Glass Hammer) and Rob Reed (Magenta) are my favourites.
The seventies was overflowing with great prog keyboard players. Aside from Emerson, Wakeman and Banks:
Patrick Moraz
Eddie Jobson
Rod Argent
Jon Lord (RIP)
Dave Greenslade
Vangelis
Ton Sherpenzeel (Kayak)
Kerry Minnear
and many more

The eighties saw the likes Martin Orford,Clive Nolan ,Mark Kelly continuing the fine tradition. Great keyboard players are part of the very fabric of prog rock imo.
That's interesting that you mention Par Lindh, Richard. In 1999, he and his group participated in a couple of concerts in St. Louis, Missouri that were in part a Triumvirat tribute concert. Triumvirat singer Barry Palmer flew over from England, and Par Lindh and his group backed Palmer in some Triumvirat songs, as well as PLP playing some of their own music, and even some early ELP. Palmer also did some of his solo album songs, and also present was the group Alaska, backing him and others,as well.
Thanks for that Doug. guess there is no chance it was recorded (or filmed??!)

I first stumbled across Par Lindh at the ELP 25th Anniversary get together of fans in Birmingham (1995). He was playing the organ as we filed into the hall!
I bought PLP's debut album Gothic Impressions while I was there and quite possibly from the man himself (I'm a bit vague about this thanks to my ailing memory!). Striking artwork and there was a little sign saying ''Is this Brain Salad Surgery for the 90's?''. Not quite but still very good and not that far behind Angalagard in quality. 

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 10:51

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Patrick Moraz
Eddie Jobson
Rod Argent
Jon Lord (RIP)
Dave Greenslade
Vangelis
Ton Sherpenzeel (Kayak)
Kerry Minnear
and many more

Thanks for that Doug. guess there is no chance it was recorded (or filmed??!)

I first stumbled across Par Lindh at the ELP 25th Anniversary get together of fans in Birmingham (1995). He was playing the organ as we filed into the hall!
I bought PLP's debut album Gothic Impressions while I was there and quite possibly from the man himself (I'm a bit vague about this thanks to my ailing memory!). Striking artwork and there was a little sign saying ''Is this Brain Salad Surgery for the 90's?''. Not quite but still very good and not that far behind Angalagard in quality. 

yes, it was filmed, but was only released at the time on VHS in a Limited Edition of 4 cassettes (two covering each show) of i think 120 copies sold through the Triumvirat.net site. I hear the quality of the video is not that great.
            That's interesting, your Par Lindh connection-I've never actually heard his music.

Edited by presdoug - October 26 2012 at 10:53
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 12:21
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Some of my favourites:Tony Banks BowdownRay ManzarekEdgar Froese Irmin SchmidtKeith Emerson  Rick WakemanChick CoreaHerbie HancockKerry Minnear Michael Ratledge Brian Eno and Kraftwerk!

Brain Eno. Great choice. His work on MUSIC FOR LAND was simply incredible. My favourite from him.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkyHomoSapien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 14:32
Emerson and Wakeman automatic, but what about the guy who influenced them both? And many more besides, Rock's first lead keyboard player, Billy Ritchie.  
WisdomBeginsInWonder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WisdomBeginsInWonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 16:17
Keith Emerson
Life Can Be Hilariously Cruel.

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 19:20
Jan Hammer
Joe Zawinul
David Sancious
Tony Banks
Chick Corea
of course Emerson & Wakeman
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 19:29
Tony Banks
Kerry Minnear
Dave Stewart
Dave Sinclair
Rick Wakeman
Robert Jan Stips
Keith Emerson
John Tout
Martin Orford
Rod Argent
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 21:31
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Already mentioned, but my favorite keyboardists:

Eddie Jobson
Keith Emerson
Tony Banks
Dave Stewart
Rick Wakeman
A great list, to which I would add Jan Hammer without hesitation.  Also, no one has yet mentioned Michael Pinnella with Symphony X.  I am especially referring to his piano work in earlier albums.  He is, after all, a Julliard graduate...
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master of Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 21:35
My favorite would have to be Robert John Godfrey of the Enid.
Throw Sand View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throw Sand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 23:44
Kerry Livgren is an underrated keyboardist. I think he's a more skilled composer for keyboard rather than a player, but he can really let it out every now and then.
JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanFrame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 04:43
As is usual, this is a fame poll, not necessarily a quality poll.
Aquiring the Taste View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquiring the Taste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 21:21
Originally posted by JeanFrame JeanFrame wrote:

As is usual, this is a fame poll, not necessarily a quality poll.

Agreed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>