Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRUSH 2112 Coming out in HiRez 5.1!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RUSH 2112 Coming out in HiRez 5.1!!!!!!!!
    Posted: October 25 2012 at 12:15
Holy Twilight Zone, RUSH-Fan!!!!!!!

It is official:   RUSH - 2112  5.1 mix finally coming out.  Sez who???

"Yep, words out. I've been working on the surround remix of #Rush #2112 for months. Queue
rear waterfall. #holygrail"

That was none other than RUSH Sound Engineer Rich Chycki on his very own twitter account, last night.

Clap    Clap     Clap     Cool     Cool    Cool    Star    Star    Star

Up unitl then, the only news was a tiny blurb on one web site that a special edition was coming out Dec. 18, 2012,
and several other websites copied that, but nothing definitive from the band.  So it could have been a mistake or misunderstanding, or something like  Prince & Marie Osmond join forces to do a cover of Rush - 2112.

Now we know that one of the greatest recordings ever in music will delight us all in full 5.1 magnificence.

If this is not enough to make all you 2.0 sissies run out and get your 5.1 mojo workin, then alas, nothing will.

For me,   I can't wait.  My neighbors will be furious wih me on Dec. 18th, that's all I can say.

Long live RUSH

Long live RUSH - 2112 in 5.1

oh, and lets hope those handsome lads from Toronto get around to releasing the BEST Rush record of all time
in 5.1 (Yep..... RUSH - Hemisphers.   Approve)

Edited by dennismoore - October 25 2012 at 12:16
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 15:12
Surely they should release it on Dec. 21?
Bigger on the inside.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 18:26
^ Yeah, it would just be plain silly if they didn't.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 21:38
I want Vapor Trails in 5.1 with no remix.  
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 15:45
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

No remix?

The only way to do 5.1 is to start with the original 24, 36, 48 track master (tape or digital)
and decide which tracks to get spread to the 5.1 channels.  A whole new "mix" from when those very same
choices were done originally for the 2.0 stereo mix.

So what do you mean?
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 16:18
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

No remix?

The only way to do 5.1 is to start with the original 24, 36, 48 track master (tape or digital)
and decide which tracks to get spread to the 5.1 channels.  A whole new "mix" from when those very same
choices were done originally for the 2.0 stereo mix.

So what do you mean?

I'm sorry, I'm almost totally ignorant of any matters technological.  I mean that I don't want the remixed version with the sound quality "improved" that they're making right now, I just want the production kept the same when the album is mixed for 5.1.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 21:05

100% Agree....The remix of 1LV and Earthshine on Retro Vol 3, is so thin and lifeless, no meat......its been sissyfied!

I will be happy if they would release vinyl versions.....sorry I don't do 5.1...don't wish I had it either.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 21:34
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

100% Agree....The remix of 1LV and Earthshine on Retro Vol 3, is so thin and lifeless, no meat......its been sissyfied!

I will be happy if they would release vinyl versions.....sorry I don't do 5.1...don't wish I had it either.

I actually like the 1LV remix, with the way Geddy's voice sounds so punkish (but I like the original just as much).  Earthshine, however, sounds absolutely awful on Retrospective.  Vapor Trails needs to be distorted.  It needs to sound like mud.  It needs to be abrasive and raw and primal. 

My great fear is that Rush will release a remixed version of the album, and that will be the one remembered for prosperity.  I hope that doesn't happen, because it would be a shame.
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 23:04
Damn, gimme remixed Vapor Trails pls instead
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 11:08

I actually like the 1LV remix, with the way Geddy's voice sounds so punkish (but I like the original just as much).  Earthshine, however, sounds absolutely awful on Retrospective.  Vapor Trails needs to be distorted.  It needs to sound like mud.  It needs to be abrasive and raw and primal. 

My great fear is that Rush will release a remixed version of the album, and that will be the one remembered for prosperity.  I hope that doesn't happen, because it would be a shame.

Yup...there are so many naysayers on the original mix that a new one I too fear it will be hailed as theee album. I never complained of VT, my CD copy is excellent as it stands.
What I think people do complain about is the online downloading of the album from iTunes or Zune Marketplace at 192-320kbps lossy files....Those probably do sound bad.
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 11:19
Really catcher ? My CD of Vapor Trails sounds horrible. 
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 11:47
Originally posted by menawati menawati wrote:

For me yes.....Its a systems issue I have found, meaning your hi-fi gear, subjective so I will not turn this into a "you need an expensive CDP for it to sound right....."

It is what it is for people. To me what did not come out too well was the new one CA....That album could have been done much better sound wise.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 23:26

Originally posted by menawati menawati wrote:

For me yes.....Its a systems issue I have found, meaning your hi-fi gear, subjective so I will not turn this into a "you need an expensive CDP for it to sound right....."

It is what it is for people. To me what did not come out too well was the new one CA....That album could have been done much better sound wise.

The format I usually listen to is the file downloaded from a CD onto my MP3 player.  I might plug it into headphones, or a speaker, but whatever I do it sounds absolutely amazing, clipping and all.  It's a garage-rock aesthetic applied to a mindbogglingly complex progressive rock album.  If that's not innovative and exciting, I don't know what is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:32

No worries dude, some here read more than we post, so yes I have read about your love for 2 channel & vinyl.
Your position seems quite set. I would be loathe to argue or try to convince you otherwise.   For my part,
I had 100s of records as a kid and I have never had the thousands of dollars needed to get the appropriate turntable/stylus to leverage what vinyl enthusiasts "claim" is available between that ebony groove.  In 1980 the US Navy taught me advanced electronics from tubes through transistors and all those years later I maintain a career in the digital domain, so I know professionally that the whole vinyl thing is people who chose to believe something that is not supported by science or technology. Everybody listens to what tech they choose, sure enough.  One post here is from a gent who listens to ALL his music on an MP3 player.  I shudder to think what analog amp/playback system he uses, yet he is "positive" a certain record has the right "mastering".  Geting back to the technology of digital, I worked with professional photographers of the world's largest wire service for over 20 years and during the nineties. Many "older" film photographers confided in me and proudly warned me about the impending doom for all photography after the Kodak DCS(first digital pro camera) came out.  Well, those old goobers couldn't have been proved more wrong...

The whole thing about vinyl is how music was meant to be is urban legend.  Why?  Music was never sourced to vinyl(except back in the 1920's).  The souce of the great music we all enjoy was converted(quite flawed mind you) to plastic tape with lots of tiny magnetic particles.  Vinyl was only an intermediate stage, proven to be an effective and cheap
way to sell music.  The many steps needed to produce a vinyl record from the master recording embedded a host of problems that persist to this day, one being this litte gem, called "non-fill" which destroyed many recordings of the new RUSH - Clockwork Angels:

The recent pressing of YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans is pure garbage, and another example of the vinyl myth & its pitfalls...

Another silly bit of nonsense is the myth that "music was meant to be in 2 channel".  As soon as the 8 & 16 track master tape recorders were put into common service around 1970, most hi-fi engineers jumped on the quad bandwagon and mixed the artist's work into quad, as they knew all the way back then, 2 channels didn't provide enough "sonic space" to present all the music.  Obviously the industry couldn't get people to buy 4 loudspeakers and the additional quad decoding hardware, so quad never took off.  To ignore that fact and still pretend that 2.0 is the end all is to ignore history & reasoning oh... and technology.

Ok, why get into all this???  Simple, any brave soul who ventures into the surprisingly economical(I'm thinking Infandous) world of 5.1 will be blown away at the difference it brings out in some of the very fine past recordings that were composed of many, many tracks of music, say, Wish You Were Here, RUSH 2112, ELP - Tarkus, etc...

The technology for a vastly superior listening experience is out there.  One can stick his head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist or one can experience it first hand. 

If somebody prefers vinyl records and a 2.0 system that is their choice.  Kinda like those old & out of work, once great photographers, who to this day, think film is superior to digital.  Other people shouldn't be swayed by this argument and they should see for themselves.

RUSH - 2112  in 5.1 Glory is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless RUSH & Technology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and nobody is taking away anybody's old records or 2.0 channel systems or CDs. One will always
have those to listen to and obviously compare to newer technologies when they arrive.  So people needn't whine
when music is released in the newer technologies like pure digital or 5.1 mixes.  Smile

@Horizons:  You have posted that you don't think I am ever serious about anything?  Well....

How ya like me now baby???    Wink

Edited by dennismoore - October 29 2012 at 11:39
renoprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 09:58
I'm sorry, but the 2112 bd release doesn't have the usual surround affect like many of the others that I've bought.  Moving Pictures sounds great in DTS HD.  But not this one.  I have an old psuedo 5.1 that sounds the same.  I've tried the dolby 5.1 selection and it has a far better surround sound.  The King Crimson stuff is excellant and finally Larks.... came out.  Which is my favorite.

What we need is more Yes, Gental Giant, Camel, Triumvirat, Marillion and more Tull in 5.1!  These bands produced music for this sound.
"I brake for Proggers"
renoprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 10:07

You dudes who don't do 5.1 are missing out of a lot of cool stuff.  Tons of great realeases.  I actually collect SACDS, DVD AUDIO and DTS dics. Plus old quad discs mixed to 5.1.  Focus's "Hocus Pocus" sounds great coming from an old quad 8track.  Plus a lot of these remixes come from seperate sessions.  The new ELP releases sound great. Along with the Tull's "Agualung" and "Thick as a Brick".  Can't wait for "Passion Play"! 

"I brake for Proggers"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 19:33
Originally posted by renoprog renoprog wrote:

You dudes who don't do 5.1 are missing out of a lot of cool stuff.  Tons of great realeases.  I actually collect SACDS, DVD AUDIO and DTS dics. Plus old quad discs mixed to 5.1.  Focus's "Hocus Pocus" sounds great coming from an old quad 8track.  Plus a lot of these remixes come from seperate sessions.  The new ELP releases sound great. Along with the Tull's "Agualung" and "Thick as a Brick".  Can't wait for "Passion Play"! 

Hey Dude,

Glad to hear from another 5.1 enthusiast.  I also bought the RUSH 2112 5.1 BluRay edition, but I am still in the process
of upgrading my receiver to the new formats.....life is tough with kids....

I can't wait for ELP Trilogy and BSS to come out next(those are the 2 confirmed next releases...)
I have an love the older DVD-Audio BSS, but I wanna find out what new magic can be done with it now, in 5.1
by a different mixer.....
renoprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 22:24
I'm limiting my purchases of elp stuff.  I already have BSS on dvd audio.  Check out my site.  It's not up to date like I want it to be. Too lazy. angelfire.com/rock3/renoprog   
 I forgot to add Steppenwolf, BOC, Traffic, Grand Funk, and the MOST IMPORTANT ONE OF ALL!  Alan Parson's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination"!!!!!!!!!!
"I brake for Proggers"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 13:07
Originally posted by renoprog renoprog wrote:

I'm limiting my purchases of elp stuff.  I already have BSS on dvd audio.  Check out my site.  It's not up to date like I want it to be. Too lazy. angelfire.com/rock3/renoprog   
 I forgot to add Steppenwolf, BOC, Traffic, Grand Funk, and the MOST IMPORTANT ONE OF ALL!  Alan Parson's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination"!!!!!!!!!!

Dude,  I checked out the site.  You look like Keith Moon from the Tommy Movie, playing the old church organ, nice.
IE has probs with that site,I need to try it with Firefox later....

The ELP stuff is soooo cheap, like 13 dollars for each set.  Why not get BSS? Plus, that version may have the right vocals for Benny The Bouncer....
 Post Reply Post Reply