15 [16.48%]
11 [12.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 14:34
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Where did you say anything about it being a choice?

But you could like it so much, that you dont care, just like i do with cigarettes.

That is making a choice.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 14:36
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Must be some real bunco stuff if you gotta smoke 5 or 6 big joints a day, hope none of that stuff makes it to Washington state.
If you keep the habbit for many years, on a daily basis, the effect get weak, so heavy smokers tends to be raising the intake over the years. 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 14:39
I will bow to the expert.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 14:39
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

But marijuana can be consumed or vaporize with little to no negative health effects.

That is correct, i thought you were a smoker, now that we know you are not, its a diffrent situation Wink

BTW no need to call me ridiculous, you are not defending your life, we are just talking about smoking eating some weed.

Edited by tamijo - November 10 2012 at 14:44
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 14:45
I'm a user of marijuana, not just smoker. And I can see where you cigarette analogy can be considered a choice, but next time try using the word "choice", like -" But you could like it so much, that you choose not to care, just like i do with cigarettes.

Don't implies a lack of, and a lack of caring is different from making a choice.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 14:47
im not an expert in Your language, so i may sometimes not hit the correct values, but i think me point was clear. 

Edited by tamijo - November 10 2012 at 14:48
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 14:49
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

BTW no need to call me ridiculous, you are not defending your life, we are just talking about smoking eating some weed.

You are absolutely correct, and I apologize if I offended you. It was a poor word choice.
2WeeksInSpain View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 19:19
had a brief encounter with it. it was okay for a while but it doesn't really work for me
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 11:21
I used to smoke daily, but stopped alltogether when I realized how bad it was making my anxiety
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 13:08
Smartpatrol, if I'm not mistaken you're still very young so you're looking for advice and experience, not just people telling you "i have smoked a lot" or "I have never smoked". Those who have never smoked are of course allowed to post but I don't think that they can offer you much valuable information here, pay most attention to what the ones who have done can tell you.

I was a huge consumer from around 15 to around 30 years old, I planted and harvested my own for years and smoked on nearly daily base with friends. We consumed also worse things for a long time but since I was 38 (8 years ago) I am clean except for cigarettes and alcohol.

The effects of any drugs are highly dependent on the personality and strenght of the consumer, some people manage to keep them within reasonable limits, others can fall prey and get caught in a spiral to the worst. Be very aware of what kind of person you are before letting them into your life.

I can not say I regret having done them, they can provide amazing experiences, and for one thing they can help experiencing prog music in a way which is unthinkable when being sober.

But they surely pose dangers. I never found weed particularly addictive, normal cigarettes or alcohol are much more physically addictive. What happens is that it becomes a lifestyle, when you and your friends consume drugs it becomes very difficult to stay away or control the magnitude, you are together so consuming becomes the norm, and one pushes the other and the magnitude or the kind of drug being consumed can easily get out of control. It's not the physical addiction but the "social" addiction which can become very dangerous.

I'm now 46 and I'm a "normal" person, with a good respectable job, I'm not a wreck. But I have some problems with memory, concentration, motivation, willpower etc. I will never be able to know how much these are related to my heavy consumtion of drugs in my younger years but they could definitely be related.

And I stopped with illegal drugs but I still smoke and drink. I can not say for sure but possibly once addicted to something you remain addicted to something even if it's not the same "something". You just need some addiction to carry on.

Bottom line: as an avid user having enjoyed it for many years and still healthy, leading a normal respectable life (and never been in jail Wink) I can not honestly ban it, it would be hypocrite from me, but I guess it's better to stay away from it, and if you ever think about trying think twice before starting and most of all think of how strong you think you are to keep it within reasonable limits and not falling too deep, and be careful with friends, consuming yourself is one thing, but getting into a lifestyle where the norm of everybody around you is consuming is dangerous.

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 13:37
have you ever considered that maybe it's the other drugs you did that affected you? just wondering, i've seen a lot of people post things similar to you and it always seems like they mention that they did other drugs besides cannabis but never seem to think that maybe that's what had impacted them negatively.
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 14:42
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

And I stopped with illegal drugs but I still smoke and drink. I can not say for sure but possibly once addicted to something you remain addicted to something even if it's not the same "something". You just need some addiction to carry on.

I'm glad you said that, because even though I successfully quit drinking a few years ago, I get the feeling that my body still craves something.  In my case, I think it's sweets. Makes sense, since alcohol is chemically related to  sugar (maybe a chemistry person can confirm or deny this, I'm no expert).   Never had much of a taste for candy before, but now I get cravings for it, and my weight has increased as a result.  Just another hang-up I have to get over, I guess. Unhappy
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 15:15
Sweets - best drug ever.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 20:21
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

have you ever considered that maybe it's the other drugs you did that affected you? just wondering, i've seen a lot of people post things similar to you and it always seems like they mention that they did other drugs besides cannabis but never seem to think that maybe that's what had impacted them negatively.

I guess that they all contribute, but don't ask me why, I have the feeling that in terms of affecting long-term brain performance, cannabis (in both forms hash and weed) is the one which has had the most negative effects. Maybe only because it's the drug I consumed when youngest and therefore when the brain is still most vulnerable, other drugs I only tried when already an adult.
And in any case I can not be sure that my (relatively minor) problems are related to drug consumption at all, it's only a guess or a feeling.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 20:39
Used to be avid many moons ago, until most of my group of 'friends' migrated to whacking up speed (and beyond) - sh*t went seriously pear-shaped after that..........weed doesn't cause problems on its own, nasty people who dick with the weed do..... lucky I've survived until now.......and clean (and a bit 'loopy' Wacko).  Prog is my preferred 'drug' of choice these days, with a bit of alcohol now and then, but I don't wanna fumble and damage an LP or something while pissed......... 
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 10:00

Smartpatrol, if I'm not mistaken you're still very young so you're looking for advice and experience, not just people telling you "i have smoked a lot" or "I have never smoked". […] but getting into a lifestyle where the norm of everybody around you is consuming is dangerous.

Very good post! Clap (I only quoted the beginning and the end; those interested can scroll up and read the whole post – it’s worth it.)
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 17:01
Last week, I had one of the most astounding experiences in my life: listening to my brother explaining why he considered weed as a "hard drug" (while I remember having seen him smoking some joints and I'm nearly sure he may have experimented with ecstasy a dozen years ago).

He was rather convincing.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 17:30
I ran into a friend of mine a few years ago that I had lost touch with a few years before that.  I thought he'd be the last person to quit.  He had quit drinking a few years before I had lost touch.  He said the reason he quit smoking pot was because it was making him stupid.  He was living in Florida where apparently you can easily get some really strong stuff.  Still smokes cigarettes like a chimney.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 02 2012 at 17:31
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 03:01
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Last week, I had one of the most astounding experiences in my life: listening to my brother explaining why he considered weed as a "hard drug" (while I remember having seen him smoking some joints and I'm nearly sure he may have experimented with ecstasy a dozen years ago).

He was rather convincing.

I really don't feel like there's any way to consider weed a hard drug. It's so much milder than anything else that one can think of as a 'hard drug'
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 07:14
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

Smartpatrol, if I'm not mistaken you're still very young so you're looking for advice and experience, not just people telling you "i have smoked a lot" or "I have never smoked". […] but getting into a lifestyle where the norm of everybody around you is consuming is dangerous.

Very good post! Clap (I only quoted the beginning and the end; those interested can scroll up and read the whole post – it’s worth it.)

Also:

I never found weed particularly addictive, normal cigarettes or alcohol are much more physically addictive. What happens is that it becomes a lifestyle, when you and your friends consume drugs it becomes very difficult to stay away or control the magnitude, you are together so consuming becomes the norm, and one pushes the other and the magnitude or the kind of drug being consumed can easily get out of control. It's not the physical addiction but the "social" addiction which can become very dangerous

Another couple of clappies from me, too

Excellent post

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>